PDA

View Full Version : Pod Vs Stock Airbox

PreeCilla
4th April 2013, 12:22 PM
So I have installed a pod But as much as i am in love with the sound-i am really disapointed with the power thats been reduced. What do you guys suggest? Whats your experiences?

guy 27
4th April 2013, 12:31 PM
Pod filters are for noise only unless you are running huge power that the stock airbox is too restrictive.

Wraith
4th April 2013, 01:24 PM
So I have installed a pod But as much as i am in love with the sound-i am really disapointed with the power thats been reduced. What do you guys suggest? Whats your experiences?

For stock standard applications leave the induction system airbox as is, it'll be better than a pod on start up and it'll be alot better than a pod after the engine bay is heated up, power and performance will definitely go backwards at that point...

This applies to both N/A and turboed vehicles, from research data I've seen and read ages ago regarding this and relating specifically to the TS Astras, the OEM stock intake box is a highly efficient unit and can still be used in applications where the engines output has been increased...

I'd say to make the most of an altered air intake system pod or whatever you'd have to get it tuned to suit as the alot of sensors won't like the altered air intake characteristics, this also happens even if you swap out the stock OEM filter for a higher flow unit, I had this happen to my TS turbo vert whereby it's power and performance went backwards compared to the stock element even after a remap, the stock element worked perfectly the higher flow aftermarket one caused all sorts of running problems...

If you have to have a pod, then it's a good idea to run a cold air intake at least that way you won't have to worry as much about hot air ingestion, but you'll loose the intake sound, so it's a case of what you want I suppose - better induction sound or better/smoother performance ??

PreeCilla
4th April 2013, 01:52 PM
Yer - basically what I have learnt. Currently I have a pod with the stock intake and piping leading basically right up to it. It's illegal in Nsw the way It is anyways so I may just leave it and put the stock on back in after.

Danny86
4th April 2013, 02:45 PM
Just passing by with my 2c.
I have an AH sri t with a pod and to be honnest the power loss or gain is not noticable. I only have one for induction noise. I also have a heat shield (solid mounted and legal in QLD) and standard cold air induction piping running into the pod. Check out my ride thread for pics.

Danny. .

Numbnut
5th April 2013, 04:49 PM
A few of us have this - http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?32518-Large-air-intake

Larger intake to stock airbox with replaced panel filter. Seems to rev a bit more freely but you step on it looking for a difference so it's hard to say if it actually does anything.

Would I do it again? Only if I was to do the exhaust too. 1 or 2 tiny mods won't do much but the cumulative effect of lots of little mods make a big difference.

PreeCilla
5th April 2013, 04:57 PM
Well to be honest.. I have a MASSIVE cannon.. So overall the power of my car isn't great and that's a comprise I made. But since putting the pod in the car is a little slower to respond . Although shifts are alot smoother and I don't get a jolt of acceleration when I put my foot down ( maybe I'm just mistaking this for a drastic lose of power).

Danny86
5th April 2013, 05:04 PM
Also I have a deleted rear muffler which was a noticable difference in response when paired with the pod.

Numbnut
5th April 2013, 05:56 PM
Well to be honest.. I have a MASSIVE cannon.. So overall the power of my car isn't great and that's a comprise I made. But since putting the pod in the car is a little slower to respond . Although shifts are alot smoother and I don't get a jolt of acceleration when I put my foot down ( maybe I'm just mistaking this for a drastic lose of power).

Sounds like it's had a negative effect. Is the cannon just a tip/muffler or is it a full exhaust? I think 2.25 inch exhaust is the best size for this engine. You could be losing out from the cannon too :(

Wraith
11th April 2013, 01:25 PM
Exhaust changes can cause a very noticeable difference and in most cases degredation of power, response and performance...

Alot of people who do exhaust changes do overkill jobs and flow, back pressure etc. characteristics are all messed up, that's why the result goes backwards...

As stated on our TS Astras and on all newer cars, the OEM spec for both N/A and forced induction intakes and exhausts is already highly efficient and matched up properly...

I've learnt from many exhaust mods I've done on so many cars and engine types, the only reliable way of gowing forwards especially if your wanting a complete system is to buy a system that's been designed, built and tested specifically for the application as they've done all the R&D, the obvious drawback is usually high cost, but if you stick to reputable high end manufacturers products you'll pretty much get the result you wanted...

If your after more simple less expensive or DIY mods just for sound and looks, they play with the rear muffler and tip/s only (axle back) that'll have much less impact if any on affecting power, response and performance, economy etc.

Kennedy
14th April 2013, 10:14 AM
I originally changed the stock setup for a 2.2 airbox, but I threw a cone filter on. Noise is awesome and I haven't noticed any loss of power at all.

Wraith
15th April 2013, 01:07 PM
I originally changed the stock setup for a 2.2 airbox, but I threw a cone filter on. Noise is awesome and I haven't noticed any loss of power at all.

In that case at least, you've adopted the factory OEM intake box which will protect from hot air ingestion...

Don't know if your car is N/A or turbo, but as outlined in a previous post I only changed the stock filter element in my turbo (Z20LET) for a hi flow 'oiled' filter element and it caused all manner of running problems, both stock and with remap...

As soon as I put the OEM spec filter back in it was all back to perfect running...

The other thing I noticed with that type of filter as well after only a very short running time was that the oil part of it was being sucked up through the rest of the air intake assembly and eventually it'll find itself in the engine - most definitely not a disarable thing at all, so I'd definitely recommend against these oil filtration lubed filters, total waste of time and money IMHO.

Kennedy
17th April 2013, 09:50 AM
I have an SRi-T with a Z20LET. You're not supposed to use an oiled filter, ruins the MAF. I know all about heat soak, I just wanted to see if it actually had an effect on my car, even when it was 40 degrees here, never noticed any difference at all. I now have an open cone, run through 90 degrees, MAF, 90 degrees into turbo. Easy!

lonewolf1983
17th April 2013, 06:19 PM
Exhaust changes can cause a very noticeable difference and in most cases degredation of power, response and performance...

Alot of people who do exhaust changes do overkill jobs and flow, back pressure etc. characteristics are all messed up, that's why the result goes backwards...

As stated on our TS Astras and on all newer cars, the OEM spec for both N/A and forced induction intakes and exhausts is already highly efficient and matched up properly...

I've learnt from many exhaust mods I've done on so many cars and engine types, the only reliable way of gowing forwards especially if your wanting a complete system is to buy a system that's been designed, built and tested specifically for the application as they've done all the R&D, the obvious drawback is usually high cost, but if you stick to reputable high end manufacturers products you'll pretty much get the result you wanted...

If your after more simple less expensive or DIY mods just for sound and looks, they play with the rear muffler and tip/s only (axle back) that'll have much less impact if any on affecting power, response and performance, economy etc.

OEM exhausts are a compromise, of noise, emissions, and cost.
You can get good results from an exhaust without spending huge $$'s on branded stuff, provided the person putting it together specs it properly (e.g. no 3" exhaust on an otherwise standard n/a motor).

condorman2010
25th August 2013, 09:53 PM
I have looked up this as well. personally im going to derestrict the air box and possibly alter the front air intake to bring in better airflow to the filter.common sense prevails in this case. Im going n/a on mine so extractors and exhaust system is a better go. never been keen on buy and bolt on performance without research.