PDA

View Full Version : Astra Classic - Good Deal?

windsok
28th December 2004, 01:49 AM
holden.com.au are currently advertising the Astra Classic for 18,990 + on road costs with Free 12 Months Comprehensive Insurance.

Obviously it will cost a bit more than this with the on road costs etc, but is it generally a good deal?

Im 21 and only had my licence for around a year so i guess the exess on the insurance will be huge.. but thats ok i guess,

I will go and have a chat will a dealer sometime this week, but i thought you guys would be able to give me some idea if its a good deal or not.

Cheers :)

OPL-20T
28th December 2004, 09:00 AM
sounds not too bad if u get full insurance with it i guess.

Anonymous
28th December 2004, 10:42 AM
IMO the classic is nothing compared to the CD but they dont make those new anymore, for a new astra that sounds about right, you could so haggle that though

rjastra
28th December 2004, 12:33 PM
The classic is now City spec.

Can you get ABS on the Classic? A wise option to get if you are a inexperienced driver.

Bernard Siong
28th December 2004, 12:42 PM
the classic is alrite
has fog lights n that doesnt it
and probably the interior trim inside the classic is easier too look after then the one in the CD

imay
28th December 2004, 12:47 PM
$18,990*
with FREE 12 MTHS COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE^
'04 Plated ASTRA CLASSIC

*Rec Retail Price for Astra Classic manual. Price excl. Dealer Delivery & Govt charges. Metallic paint extra.

Yeah, probably a good buy. You are still up for all the orc which would probably add a couple of grand to that number, and as you said the insurance excess and conditions could be a bit restrictive. You'd have to go and have a talk to them and get the facts direct.
And being an 04 plate means your NEW car is already 12 months old, which will further affect resale value of a soon to be discontinued model line.

Add it all up, and if the numbers still work out . . . go for it!

01CDsedan
28th December 2004, 09:35 PM
$18,990*
And being an 04 plate means your NEW car is already 12 months old, which will further affect resale value of a soon to be discontinued model line.

Depends how long you want to keep it, really.

If you plan to keep it for 2-3 years then yes, it will matter. But if you plan to keep your car for a fair while, then it will barely make a difference. For instance, a 97 Astra is not worth noticeably more than a 96...

01CDsedan
28th December 2004, 09:36 PM
IMO the classic is nothing compared to the CD but they dont make those new anymore

What about the CD Classic sedan?

Fungusfee
29th December 2004, 02:27 AM
Doesn't sound to bad. i agree with |opel|. could definately haggle. if not the price, then get all you can from the dealership. we just ordered a classic (dad totalled his car) and got them to fill the tank and throw in 3yrs extra warrantee (dealership only though)...oh yeah, and keyrings. can't forget the keyrings.

BTW, we tried to get a sedan but were told they weren't being made anymore. dunnno if this is true but something to keep in mind if you don't like hatches.

extralarge
1st January 2005, 02:59 PM
hatches sell better. i do prefer sedans or coupes.

makes sense money wise to shut down the sedan factory line on economy of scale.

entice
12th January 2005, 05:03 PM
Umm...lets say for a youngie, at 19K + ORC...what are the alternatives (including insurance)?

Some Korean Built piece of crap that wouldnt be anywhere near as safe?

resale?
Hello?
Astra's have been enjoying a very bouyant resale for a while! Regardless if it is 04 plated, If you picked up a new AH today, it too would also be 04 plated. It isnt 12 mths old...u need to look at month complianced and upon selling quote that...Should be 2-3mths at worse...

rjastra
13th January 2005, 02:58 PM
u need to look at month complianced and upon selling quote that...Should be 2-3mths at worse...

1. Its build date you are interested in... not compliance date.
2. They go by the YEAR... All cars currently available are nw considered 1 YEAR old even if they were built in Nov 2004.

When I go to sell a car the dealer will look at the YEAR of build, they won't give a toss about the month.

mrbenno
13th January 2005, 04:10 PM
As far as I am aware, all new Astra hatches will be the new shape and sedans will remain the same as the current 2004 Astra's.

This was according to a dealer, I don't know how trustworthy he is though.

I am surprised how much cheaper a new Astra is compared to the old ones, I could sell my Feb 2004 Built Astra and buy a new hatch and get change.

Mr T
14th January 2005, 06:44 PM
Windsok,

I used to work in Holden dealership. $18,990 is the cheapest I have seen a new TS ever (including 3 door city).

On roads will set you back 1895 (Dealer Charges), $627 (stamp duty) and roughly $700 for CTP and Rego. Total $22,212 approx.

If you are worried about buying an 04 in 05, consider this, it takes 4 months to ship, comply and deliver cars from Europe. So if you want an 05 you'l have to wait untill at least April and I doubt that these deals will be available for the 05's.

If you live in Sydney send me a PM and I can refer you to a few people

windsok
17th February 2005, 03:11 AM
Just wanted to say, I decided that I diddnt want to spend all my money on a car, and yesterday i bought a 2001 Astra City 3dr with 75,000km. Very Happy with it :)

Kwijy
17th February 2005, 06:24 AM
Good one.. hope it treats you well :) Happy driving!

Rhino
17th February 2005, 11:07 AM
[sniff] Another success story.

Well done everybody. This is the stuff I live for....

I need a hug

Anonymous
17th February 2005, 11:24 AM
good stuff windsok, you won't regret it!

FYI I got my city, with chrome interior door handles ( :lol: ) power windows (optional) tinting (optional) paint protection (optional, but regretful purchase) rust proofing (also regretful), auto, brand new for 23g (including on road costs) + 3 years free service, and 6 year warranty 8)

Namus
17th February 2005, 02:50 PM
nice cool 8)

YuSuF
17th February 2005, 06:28 PM
How much did that set you back windsok?

windsok
25th February 2005, 06:06 PM
How much did that set you back windsok?

I picked it up for $11,000, it has some very minor damage on one of the doors, that I diddnt even notice till the guy selling it pointed it out to be, and a few other minor scratches. It had not had its 75,000km service to change timing belt, etc, so i knew it was going to cost me a bit more to get it serviced properly.

I was a bit worried that there might be something major wrong with it, but havent had any problems since i got it, and had the service done today and they found the car with nothing wrong with it at all.

So all up it cost me around $12,000 with rego tax and major service, very happy with it :)

Hotty_Smurf
25th February 2005, 08:45 PM
to all the people who are not sure about buying a astra classic....
my mate and i went into mcgraths liverpool yesterday and the dealer offered a 'to good to be true' deal...
For $22990 you can get a new 04 astra classic with rego, ctp insurance, free service and the sweetner was ALL the extras was included! :shock: power, alloys and all!
im not sure if this is a standard deal everywhere.....

Namus
25th February 2005, 09:36 PM
fark nice deal scored by windsok....who cares about the major service mate...look at the overall amount of money u have saved!!! :shock:

NUTTTR
26th February 2005, 02:27 PM
I got a quote for a friend at work...
Astra "city equipe" (abs, tc, mags, etc)... in AUTO, all on-roads, EVERYTHING, drive away with window tinting $22k....
considering the RRP of the auto is 21k, that's a bargin!

bigbosh
3rd March 2005, 08:42 AM
Always negotiate even on promotional prices.
I just bought an astra classic equipe (manual) with tint included for $21500 drive away. Nutttrs deal is better but i live in hunter higher Delivery here.
Its nov04 built, jan05 compliance.

Im a bit confused whats are the diffrences between the city cd and classic(TS).
I though the classic with the equipe pack was same as the CD ? ?

btw, Hi all, my first post :wink:

OzStick
3rd March 2005, 05:00 PM
The Astra Classic Equipe is looking damn good at the moment, considering what you get for $18,990.

Here is the blurb straight from the Holden website:

==============
Astra Classic Equipe with $1500~ of extra value

The brilliant Holden Astra Classic Equipe is the ultimate extras pack available in a 4-door sedan and 5-door hatch. It's the Astra you love with the refinements you crave. On the outside, Astra's road hugging stance is enhanced by the striking good looks of 15" alloy wheels^. The Anti-lock Braking System and Traction Control give you added grip and safety, while on the inside power windows, cruise control and electric remote control mirrors turn convenience into design excellence. As if that's not enough, consider the features that come standard with the Astra Classic. Things like a 1.8 litre ECOTEC engine, dual airbags, air conditioning and a Blaupunkt CD player.

Standard Features:
1.8 litre ECOTEC engine
Air conditioning
Blaupunkt CD player
Driver and front passenger airbags
Front power windows
Height & reach adjustable steering wheel

Equipe pack features:
15" alloy wheels
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Traction control
Rear power windows
Cruise control
Electric remote control mirrors

* RRP of Astra Classic Equipe manual. Price excludes Dealer Delivery and Gov't. charges. Metallic paint extra.

~Value of extras based on recommended retail price of extras at participating Holden Dealers.

^Steel spare wheel.

==============

So this is practically an Astra CD for $18,990.

Its a shame I bought my Barina SRi 5 months ago............

oneightoo
4th March 2005, 10:04 PM
my older brother owns the astra classic equipe, altho in the auto, it is still quite good for what u get at that price.. for the price of the astra turbo, u can get that car and do some serious work on the car.. me personally like the look of the 2 door over the 4, but each to their own.. i do like the barina sri tho.. i wouldnt get one as stading 6'4" it would get a bit cramped..

OPCVXR
5th March 2005, 03:45 PM
On roads will set you back 1895 (Dealer Charges), $627 (stamp duty) and roughly $700 for CTP and Rego. Total $22,212 approx.

If this is correct then I would only buy the car for $19,000 on road. Start with $18,000 and let the dealer bring you up in price rather than you fight to bring them down. If you start wiyh an unrealistic figure you are more likley to get a better deal. When I got my H in Jan I faxed just abou every holden dealer advising them of what I want and specs and had an idea of the retail cost then just knocked 4 to 5 grand off and I did get the price I want.

All it said was what I wanted to pay and I gave my mobile number and wrote call me if you can do this deal yes or no. Otherwise tell me how close you got. Alot of dealers thought I was mad but some thought it was the best way for me to buy a car. It just cuts the rubish out.

Try it

oneightoo
5th March 2005, 10:03 PM
that actually sounds like a good way to buy a car..

Namus
6th March 2005, 09:21 AM
yeah that's how my olds and i did it when we bought my car.....we said "right; we're not paying nemore than this for this car: if u can't do it; cya"

OPCVXR
7th March 2005, 03:17 PM
Beleive me. its the best way!

Just tell them that you dont want to waste their time and you dont want your time wasted. Be carefull if you phone them. Some will say come down to our dealer and we can work it out!!! That means no we cant do it but we know your serious so we will try get more money out of you!

Be firm with them. Alot of people think I will only buy a car for a nice person! Bugger that! it should be like getting milk and bread from the milkbar. Nice and quick. I could'nt care how nice the saleperson was because I need to hear is Yes or No and that's it!

Alot of friends ask me to buy them their cars and I am actually better at buying cars for other people because it's not my money and I dont care if they get it or not and I think that is the trick.

Act like you dont care. There are plenty other dealers that will want to sell you a car.

If your in Melbourne I am more than happy to go with you!