PDA

View Full Version : Has any one heard of/used Plasti Dip

Mr_Mugatu23
27th March 2013, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, looking at spraying my rims black, then I came across Plasti Dip, Has anyone used this before???

http://www.plastidip.net.au/shop/product/black--aero-4---can-gun/5558

Shadow110
27th March 2013, 11:25 AM
Doesn't that stuff just make it water "proof" as they say?
I see r/c car electrical components dipped in this stuff to make it go through water...

Mr_Mugatu23
27th March 2013, 11:30 AM
Its used to spray rims and even entire cars....Seems like a much cheaper alternative :D

guy 27
27th March 2013, 12:12 PM
go to any big car meet and you will see how many people use it.

Theres a few members on here that have used it as well.

dutchy
27th March 2013, 01:35 PM
Saw it in the flesh a few weeks ago. Engine cover sprayed with that stuff in green. Horrible colour. Other colours might be nicer though.

Wraith
27th March 2013, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, looking at spraying my rims black, then I came across Plasti Dip, Has anyone used this before???

http://www.plastidip.net.au/shop/product/black--aero-4---can-gun/5558

Yes it's all over the place these days, even used by lots of people on higher end expensive vehicles mostly DIY'ers looking to save a buck and/or have a temporary/removable finish...

Lots of good how to's on you tube etc.

sooty
27th March 2013, 05:51 PM
Just take note you'll need around 4 cans for a set of wheels, plus classifier cans. Also brake dust is meant to destroy it pretty quickly

sebastianx88
27th March 2013, 11:17 PM
Yeh I'm planing to do my rims and my roof as well with plasti dip. I know when you buy the 4 cans you get the gun which is pretty cool.

poita
28th March 2013, 12:32 AM
For the cost better off using vinyl for the roof. Heaps cheaper than plastidip

Gsi_Bryce
28th March 2013, 07:26 AM
Can you use the gun with other cans or just there cans specifically??

adam_92
28th March 2013, 07:41 AM
Can be used with most cans mate. It's not a plastidip gun. It's a spray can gun, can get them at bunnings for $3.50ish they are made by unipro. It basically clips onto the can then when you pull the handle it pushes the top of the can.

Wraith
28th March 2013, 12:51 PM
Also for anyone thinking of using the plastidip approach just be aware that the finish is not a high quality one...

It'll mostly be ripply and feels strange to the touch, I've seen quite a few and am not a fan myself it's meant to be temporary anyways...

The product was derived from similar rubberised coatings used on typical tools handles like plyers etc.

PreeCilla
28th March 2013, 10:36 PM
The stuff ive seen done looks quite good. Lots of wheels and parts were plasti dips at the Syd Downshift MegaMeet. I have heard mixed stories but i guess spray painting is a skill.
I plan to do my wheels and roof to. BLAZE Blue or Pink.. HMM...

dutchy
28th March 2013, 11:18 PM
The stuff ive seen done looks quite good. Lots of wheels and parts were plasti dips at the Syd Downshift MegaMeet. I have heard mixed stories but i guess spray painting is a skill.

At least you can pull it off easy if you dont like it. I do agree with Wraith, close-up it doesnt look that great.

chris_r
29th March 2013, 12:29 AM
If you want to change your rim colour, just powder coat them. Cost me $50 per rim to get my SRi wheels sandblasted and powder coated. Only thing was, I had to paint the centre caps myself in a matching colour. Still, I'm happy with the result.

dsuhiti91
1st April 2013, 07:49 PM
I have done my wing mirrors and front bumper split red on my GTI. Very easy to apply, very durable (I wash mine with a pressure hose) and can be peeled off any time. Have seen it done on wheels, looks pretty good also. On touch it does feel a bit rough. IMO, use it with the gloss can also (done by the same company), makes it look nicer and like proper 'paint'.

Wraith
2nd April 2013, 01:25 PM

At least you can pull it off easy if you dont like it. I do agree with Wraith, close-up it doesnt look that great.

That's right guys at least it can easily be removed whether or not a good result/finish is achieved, as mentioned it dosn't look great up close and it feels funny too it does not 'wear and tear' very well at all so to all peeps thinking of doing their wheels just be aware it won't take much to blemish it...

If you want to change your rim colour, just powder coat them. Cost me $50 per rim to get my SRi wheels sandblasted and powder coated. Only thing was, I had to paint the centre caps myself in a matching colour. Still, I'm happy with the result.

That's definitely the much better way to go, in fact it'll be a better finish than most re-paints on wheels using normal paint...

Unlike palsti dip though it's permanent so you'd want to cbe sure about the colour/finish :)

chris_r
2nd April 2013, 09:02 PM
That's definitely the much better way to go, in fact it'll be a better finish than most re-paints on wheels using normal paint...

Unlike palsti dip though it's permanent so you'd want to cbe sure about the colour/finish :)

True, the only catch with powder coating is, if there are any imperfections (like scuffs, dents and deep scratches) in the surface before coating, they will still be there afterwards. And being sure about the colour, well you can always fork out to have the wheels sandblasted and re-coated, but that'd soon get expensive too.