PDA

View Full Version : rebuild or conversion??? SB barina.

JTaylorTeam
25th March 2013, 09:16 PM
hey guys just wondering if i should rebuild my C14SE orrr try to drop a C16SE in my SB barina?? hence my 1.4 has just ticked over 300 thou. annnnnd im in need of more power and torque pretty much lol. thankyou guys.

guy 27
25th March 2013, 09:20 PM
z18xe.

Feelinlucky75
25th March 2013, 09:22 PM
hey guys just wondering if i should rebuild my C14SE orrr try to drop a C16SE in my SB barina?? hence my 1.4 has just ticked over 300 thou. annnnnd im in need of more power and torque pretty much lol. thankyou guys.

Buy my astra h. No need for rebuild or swap and has plenty torque and power over a barina

chris_r
26th March 2013, 02:37 PM
z18xe.

+1

Believe me, this swap is probably the best you can do for the SB. Sure, C20XEs have more power in stock trim, but when you factor in that a C20 and box weigh 40-50kg more than a Z18, so the 18 or so kW difference is pretty much cancelled out.

The C16SE isn't that bad a motor, but if you're gonna buy one, you may as well fork out the extra for the 1.8. Oh and given my GSi has enough go to embarrass direct injected SV6s, I'd say that is worth the extra.

JTaylorTeam
26th March 2013, 08:18 PM
+1

Believe me, this swap is probably the best you can do for the SB. Sure, C20XEs have more power in stock trim, but when you factor in that a C20 and box weigh 40-50kg more than a Z18, so the 18 or so kW difference is pretty much cancelled out.

The C16SE isn't that bad a motor, but if you're gonna buy one, you may as well fork out the extra for the 1.8. Oh and given my GSi has enough go to embarrass direct injected SV6s, I'd say that is worth the extra.

this sounds more difficult then a straight swap though lol. what am i gona need parts wise??? do i have to make custom mounts, cables hoses etc???

chris_r
26th March 2013, 09:36 PM
Read my conversion guide in the "How To" section (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?34898-How-to-Z18XE-swap-for-Corsa-B-GSi&p=811550#post811550). Most of the parts you will need for the swap do come from a C16XE engined GSi, but you can use your original gearbox and engine mounts on the Z18XE engine. This is because the Z18 is known as the "small block" GM Family 1 engine, what this means is that pretty much all the engines in this family share the same block design and the engine mounts and gearboxes are all interchangeable. C12NZ, C14NZ, C14SE, C16SE, C16XE, X16XE, Z14XE, Z16SE and Z18XE engines all belong to this family. Family 2 engines pretty much are all 1.8 litres and larger, which include C20XE, C18SEL, C20SEL, C22SEL, X20XEV, C20LET and the Z20 range of turbo engines.

For the swap you will need the entire ECU and engine wiring harness (including sensors) from a GSi, C16XE/X16XE exhaust cam sprocket, timing cover (personally, I'd get one from a UK specced Vectra B Z18XE). You will also need an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, as the Z18 has no return line. When you get the GSi's wiring and ECU, it should just plug straight in to your car. As for the throttle body, get one from a Holden Viva JF. It'll bolt straight on to the Z18 intake, but you will need to take your C14SE throttle cable, and have a new inner Bowden cable made up for it (needs to be 50mm) longer with a cable nipple attached to the TB end. This part, I got done by Adelaide Cable Co in Regency Park at a cost of $35. As for the coolant hoses, you will pretty much only need the GSi top hose, all the other hoses should just fit straight on.

Yes, it's a bit of stuffing around, but then no engine swap is ever without any kind of complications. The only reason I'd probably consider the C16SE in the first place is if you could get one really cheap, as a C16XE or X16XE is a better engine if you can find one. Z18s, easy to find, relatively cheap and more power again, which I believe is what you're after. Speaking of which, upgrading your brakes is highly recommended too.

JTaylorTeam
27th March 2013, 11:32 AM
Read my conversion guide in the "How To" section (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?34898-How-to-Z18XE-swap-for-Corsa-B-GSi&p=811550#post811550). Most of the parts you will need for the swap do come from a C16XE engined GSi, but you can use your original gearbox and engine mounts on the Z18XE engine. This is because the Z18 is known as the "small block" GM Family 1 engine, what this means is that pretty much all the engines in this family share the same block design and the engine mounts and gearboxes are all interchangeable. C12NZ, C14NZ, C14SE, C16SE, C16XE, X16XE, Z14XE, Z16SE and Z18XE engines all belong to this family. Family 2 engines pretty much are all 1.8 litres and larger, which include C20XE, C18SEL, C20SEL, C22SEL, X20XEV, C20LET and the Z20 range of turbo engines.

For the swap you will need the entire ECU and engine wiring harness (including sensors) from a GSi, C16XE/X16XE exhaust cam sprocket, timing cover (personally, I'd get one from a UK specced Vectra B Z18XE). You will also need an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, as the Z18 has no return line. When you get the GSi's wiring and ECU, it should just plug straight in to your car. As for the throttle body, get one from a Holden Viva JF. It'll bolt straight on to the Z18 intake, but you will need to take your C14SE throttle cable, and have a new inner Bowden cable made up for it (needs to be 50mm) longer with a cable nipple attached to the TB end. This part, I got done by Adelaide Cable Co in Regency Park at a cost of $35. As for the coolant hoses, you will pretty much only need the GSi top hose, all the other hoses should just fit straight on.

Yes, it's a bit of stuffing around, but then no engine swap is ever without any kind of complications. The only reason I'd probably consider the C16SE in the first place is if you could get one really cheap, as a C16XE or X16XE is a better engine if you can find one. Z18s, easy to find, relatively cheap and more power again, which I believe is what you're after. Speaking of which, upgrading your brakes is highly recommended too.

alrighty thanks mate ill do my reasearch before purchising stuff. thanks.