PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Combo Engine

paddy169
19th March 2013, 08:19 PM
I have to replace the engine & clutch in my 2005 XC Holden Combo Van. The current engine is a 1.6 Z16SE. Is there another engine that would suit the vehicle from the Barina / Astra / Combo family, as the Combo engines are too expensive. Cheers.

chris_r
20th March 2013, 01:43 AM
Only other engine I can think of is the Z18XE from the Barina XC SRi or TS/early AH Astra. Another member on here (@Chris R, who has nothing to do with me) has done this swap on his XC Combo.

Z18s in Astra form are usually dirt cheap, but the swap does take some effort. And unfortunately, Z16SE engines only appeared in local Combos and no other locally sold Opel, so yeah I can see why they'd be so expensive, given they probably share a lot of internal components with the TR Astra's C16SE. Legally, you can't fit that engine either, due to it being older than the car you're putting it in.

paddy169
20th March 2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks for your help

majcice
7th May 2014, 10:19 PM
Hi chris_r

I've a MY2004 combo with Z16SE engine. had to replace engine. Fortunately found one cheap in reasonable condition. Have a few issues to resolve. Combo is good for now.

Tell me, where can i find the details for the Z18XE swap.

Also, in regards to legality, can you tell me more about your note about swapping in a engine older than your vehicle? Don;t understand

Thanks

chris_r
8th May 2014, 12:49 AM
To swap a Z18XE in, you'd pretty much need the engine wiring harnesses, ECU/BCM, keychips and transponder from a XC Barina/Corsa C SRi, plus engine and gearbox. As you'd be aware, both cars are pretty much the same apart from one being a hatch and the other a van body. If you could pick up a wrecked Corsa SRi, you could swap all that stuff across. Engines are cheap too, they come from either the Corsa SRi or Astra TS (2000-on) and early AH models (2004-06), another forum member just picked one up for $470 with 80k km on the clock from an AH. Another member on here Chris R (sorry about the confusion with the names, didn't realise he was here when I signed up), performed this swap on his Combo some time ago now. I believe he was even working on getting the cruise control working too.

Personally, if I was looking down this path as an increase in performance, I'd just spend the extra and go all out on the Astra G Z20LET swap. Sure Z20LETs aren't cheap or easy to find, but they can be imported from the UK if you find a seller willing to ship, most will probably get you to arrange your own shipping though.

If you swap an engine in that's older than your car, it becomes illegal as it doesn't comply with the emission standards of the vehicle at the point in time of manufacture. However, if you're just talking about the same engine from the same car, just an earlier year in the model's production, I believe it's not an issue, as long as you use all the emission-related devices that came with your vehicle. This may vary from state to state, but you may want to check with your local road transport authority for more information. I know here in SA, it's almost impossible for DTEI/Transport SA/whatever-their-name-will-be-next-week to check what year the engine was specifically produced.