PDA

View Full Version : DTEC just kicked in yo...

hazrd
6th March 2013, 02:15 PM
Honda has introduced a new efficiency-focused diesel engine that will power not only European Honda Civic models, but for the first time, local variants as well.

Debuting in Australian-delivered variants of the Honda Civic hatch from mid 2013, the 1.6-litre Earth Dreams Technology turbo diesel will only be available with a manual transmission.

The new 1.6-litre i-DTEC unit produces 88kW of power and 300Nm of torque at 2000rpm, while emitting 94 grams of CO2 per kilometre and using 3.6 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres on the European combined cycle.

Full article:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/201780/honda-civic-get-new-diesel-engine-2013/

ChrisMaz
6th March 2013, 02:20 PM
Top gear also has a small article on the Civic D in this months edition.

poita
6th March 2013, 02:38 PM
Only comes in manual, winning

Elliot_O
6th March 2013, 05:31 PM
So much torque, I like it.
If only the car looked better...
Think the EU are releasing stronger emission laws sometime soon with that amount of CO2 and efficiency?

JohnBu
7th March 2013, 11:42 AM
I don't know what is wrong with Honda's product planning.

I know Honda can be one of the best engine makers in the world, yet they have no performance engines currently for sale, and have ignored turbo petrol engines all together.

Nearly 30 years ago in F1. Engineering marvel. >1,000bhp @ 12,000rpm from a 1.5L V6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_FW11

What do we get today from Honda? Nothing of interest to me.

Wraith
7th March 2013, 02:39 PM
Looks like they're wanting to expand their diesel line to compete with other Japanese manufacturers (Mainly Mazda) who who are also expanding diesel passenger car usage in a big way to try and get a bigger slice of the Euro diesel passenger car market...

Power plant above has some nice specs, the more modern or newer simple add on tuning modules then provide a further healthy power and torque increase without biting much into fuel burn, so they're a worthwhile consideration for a high usage daily driver...