PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Geelong.

3Lions
3rd March 2013, 05:39 PM
Hi All,

Was after a 2nd car as a run around as my main car (2006 110 Defender)is costing me a bit in Diesel, parts are dear, and servicing expensive, plus I can do more work on her if I am not using it every day for work.

Not really into Commodores, was after something nippy and cheap/economical to run. Have had Astra's in the past many years ago when I lived in the UK, and have always liked them.

Was looking at a 2004/2005 Mk4 Astra, but ended up getting a 2006 Mk5 Astra at a really good price (although Initially at a bit more than what I was looking at spending).

So far, am really enjoying driving it, I am going to order a new timing belt and water pump kit in the next few weeks and get that job done.

It is a 2006 Silver CD manual 87,000kms one owner from new. Would'nt have minded something like an SRI or a CDX but am not going to complain!! Happy with what I have ended up with.

guy 27
3rd March 2013, 05:44 PM
Welcome to OA

Jonski
3rd March 2013, 06:07 PM
welcome to opelaus

adam_92
3rd March 2013, 06:29 PM
Welcome to opelaus!

faneca
3rd March 2013, 07:59 PM
Welcome to oa!

Shortstuff
3rd March 2013, 08:27 PM
Welcome to OA! Hope you enjoy your Astra.

mickos
3rd March 2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome to OA mate- should check out http://www.autovaux.co.uk/ for timing belt kit get it sent over

3Lions
3rd March 2013, 08:50 PM
Welcome to OA mate- should check out http://www.autovaux.co.uk/ for timing belt kit get it sent over

Thanks mate, Since finding this site I heard about autovaux and have indeed looked at their parts. I take it there is no Issue with them sending parts to aus?

When I was looking at getting an Astra I did a search on Astra's in general and there were a few posts out there on the Internet saying they cost heaps in parts, they break timing belts/ water pumps etc, blah, blah,blah.

My opinion is that a lot of cars may have a weak spot, but it doesn't mean they are no good. If you know what they are and do regular servicing, and maintanance then it will be fine, If you abuse yoyur vehicle and never service it then yes, expect problems. So far, I am loving the Astra, just don't want to go down the track of customising it!!! It was supposed tobe a run around!

I am heavily into Land Rovers, If you beleieved all your Toyota/Nissan drivers about reliability then no one would drive Landies, I had a D2 V8 had no problems there, now have a 110 Defender, again no problems. Yes parts are dear, if you buy them from the Stealers. Me, all my parts come via the UK at a third to half the cost of Land Rover Australia and that includes shipping. So all my parts for the Astra will likewise be coming via the UK.

Col.

faneca
3rd March 2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah mate autovaux will keep you're wallet reasonably happy compared to the likes of Holden, you can get parts from the UK for a third of the price they charge here and that is posted to your door.

3Lions
3rd March 2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah mate autovaux will keep you're wallet reasonably happy compared to the likes of Holden, you can get parts from the UK for a third of the price they charge here and that is posted to your door.

Yep, pretty much what I suspected, Holden just the same as any Main dealers here - a bloody rip off!! Another thing I liked about Astra's and Vectra's was that even though they are badged here as Holden and not as many of them around say as Commodores, there are shit loads of them all over the UK and Europe (badged as Vauxhall and Opel), so parts would be easier and cheaper to source than a lot of cars, providing you don't mind waiting a week or so for parts to arrive in the Post.

faneca
3rd March 2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah Holden imported the astra, vectra and barons which are designed and built in Europe by Opel...

MikeCheck
3rd March 2013, 11:10 PM
Yay another Geelong member! Might see you round town, are you in the CBD?

Ill keep an eye out anyway.

Welcome!

M

dutchy
4th March 2013, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the site mate

btm
4th March 2013, 12:11 PM
howdy and welcome!

Jonski
4th March 2013, 11:12 PM
welcome to OA