PDA

View Full Version : K & N Air Filters - Barina SRI

drewc
23rd December 2004, 11:46 PM
I was in Auto barn today and was being talked into getting a K & N Air Pod/Filter for the Corsa. I am not very knowledgable on air filters. Has anyone put an air filter on their car and if so did it make any performance difference at the pedal or just a nicer engine sound. I am very interested in knowing more about this. It seems that the SRI doesnt need an adapter plate to fit it It will just clip straight on when you remove the air box cover and reclamp to the pipes. Some feedback on this would be great. Also is there a default risk with the cops if i get pulled over. Look forward to your info guys

:lol:

dan_kind
24th December 2004, 12:38 AM
Welll... i have had a pod on both my Barina SRi's and swear by them. I have a K&N and have totally removed the original air box, but left the 'cold air' piping..

...i have a post somewhere about the performance gains, they may be minimal in so far as both times i have had the vehicle on a dyno it has returned similar results (around 107kw@flywheel)..

temperature is a big thing that people rave on about, using a thermocouple/probe on a fluke multimeter i have always had lower running temperatures in the air intake.. mind you, it can get hot in the summer if your sitting around...put it on, its worth the noise :)

drewc
24th December 2004, 10:23 AM
Dan_kind - Can you let me know what to buy and i will fit it to the car.

I can see that i dont need the adapter plate as it will fit. Are POD filters illegal in NSW

drewc
24th December 2004, 10:24 AM
more from last post..... Is it just the Filter that i need or do i need new piping etc. Drew

Anonymous
24th December 2004, 12:06 PM
. Are POD filters illegal in NSW[/quote] yes

dan_kind
24th December 2004, 02:10 PM
Drew, mine is a K&N (tornado i think) it has a huge mouth on the front of it, and is mostly used for V8's etc... no you dont need piping if your comfortable with using cable ties.

They are illegal, however each time i have been pulled (with them checking the car) they have looked at it, asked if i have it secured, asked if they could try and move it around, and on two occasions i have been told "the car looks well kept, you look reasonable, keep the pod secured, and quieten down the exhaust ifyou can"

For the most part, if your not a boy racer with neons and a ****ing attitude you will be allowed to make small mods like that, however you might be told to take it off if you havea nasty cop...

can show you some photos of what i did if you want?

drewc
24th December 2004, 10:58 PM
dan_kind - would love some photos. I would prefer to buy a compete new host and have it all fiexed so no movement. I am not to smart on engines but i i see there is an electronic connection on the intake pipe between the filterbox and the hose. Is this Electronically controlled air intake? If so does this affect what changes i have to make. Also can they defect your car for having a pod filter. I have never had my car inspectecd by the police. Also (i know there are a few q's here) is there much change in the noise of the engine??

Would love to see the pics you have if i can