PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy New Astra Rocker Covers

SIMid
20th February 2013, 04:24 PM
Don't think there are many new owners out there with the new Astra on here, but I was speaking to my mechanic last night and he was told that there is a manufacturing fault with the new rocketcovers. It may not be the gasket from the looks of it. His source is trying to rectify the problem.

When I took the Astra Wagon for an overnight testdrive a few weeks ago, this had a leaky rocketcover with only a few hundred KMs under it's belt.

Be interesting to see how the warranty will be regarding this fault.

InsaneAsylum
20th February 2013, 04:45 PM
I hate to be a prick but it's "Rocker Cover"

dutchy
20th February 2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the tip, i'll keep an eye out for it when my new astra arrives. in any case, it'll be fixed under warranty if it starts to leak.

SIMid
21st February 2013, 12:17 PM

Opps! I was excited. :p

Wraith
21st February 2013, 01:10 PM

LOL you beat me to it, thought it was an error in the title but was repeated in the thread text :)

Speaking of rocker covers whaever happened to the days of going crazy with replacing them with aftermarket blingy units LOL to make the whole engine and engine bay look better :D

Back on the Astra ones above, I reckon could be a case of either faulty gaskets or wrongly cast/warped covers...

SIMid
21st February 2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tip, i'll keep an eye out for it when my new astra arrives. in any case, it'll be fixed under warranty if it starts to leak.

That's the problem. It's not the gasket that is not the fault from what I had been told. Will have to keep on eye out as well when we pick ours up.

preludacris
23rd February 2013, 12:02 AM
the rocker cover seals never seem to be all that flash on the astra

Wraith
25th February 2013, 01:39 PM
the rocker cover seals never seem to be all that flash on the astra

It is a strange one, is it a common problem ??? never had issues myself or heard of others having issues in this area...

If it's a common fault, you'd think Opel would at least get rocker/cam covers and or gaskets right by now...

preludacris
25th February 2013, 02:15 PM
not to the extent of the thread starter.

but half of the astras I looked at when I was in the market, had oil leaks/stains around the valve cover gasket. Upon further research I discovered it is quite common.

mine has even start leaking slightly after changing the oil to a 0w40. small leaks are not too much of a problem, nevertheless they are still there...

adam_92
25th February 2013, 02:17 PM
It's very common on the z20let. Also very common on the z32se veccy. Not sure about any other models though.

chris_r
25th February 2013, 05:55 PM
It's pretty much an Opel issue, particularly on motors with plastic rocker covers, as they seem to warp over time from heat and being under tension. Some motors like C16/X16/Z18s all have metal covers and don't normally suffer from warpage.

The dodgy fix is just to seal it with silicone, proper fix is a new gasket and a new cover if needed.

Personally, I've seen this happen on a Vectra Z22SE and the old C22SEL that was in my wagon.

Jonski
26th February 2013, 04:34 PM
It's pretty much an Opel issue, particularly on motors with plastic rocker covers, as they seem to warp over time from heat and being under tension. Some motors like C16/X16/Z18s all have metal covers and don't normally suffer from warpage.

The dodgy fix is just to seal it with silicone, proper fix is a new gasket and a new cover if needed.

Personally, I've seen this happen on a Vectra Z22SE and the old C22SEL that was in my wagon.

too much silicone can make it worse.

chris_r
26th February 2013, 07:55 PM
too much silicone can make it worse.

That's why I'd rather fix it properly the first time.