PDA

View Full Version : Astra MFD successfully fixed!

adclawrence
15th February 2013, 05:09 PM
Howdy.

A couple of weeks ago, I sent my Astra's MID display off for repair in Hungary, a private repair service under the name "Pixelfix LTD." I got it back today with very happy results.

All up I paid $140 for the repair and posting it to them, and they fixed it up within 24 hours of receiving and freighted it back, and it got to me in 4 days.

http://www.diyparadise.net/opel_display_repair.html

That's the link to the website I ordered the repair from.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of my screen before the repair, but it was very badly affected and only 2-3 characters were recognisable.

But here's a photo of the display now, as soon as I got it.

https://m.ak.fbcdn.net/sphotos-c.ak/hphotos-ak-ash3/65572_160746650742219_1026527991_n.jpg

If you have any questions, do ask. :)

Cheers.

guy 27
15th February 2013, 05:20 PM
That's great. At that price I'm not going to even bother trying to do the repairs myself.

adclawrence
15th February 2013, 05:24 PM
That's great. At that price I'm not going to even bother trying to do the repairs myself.

I would've bought the repair kit from some other foreign website, but as there's a lot of contacts that need precision soldering, I won't risk it as it would be a very expensive mistake if I wrecked it.

balker
16th February 2013, 06:20 PM
Nice one. Can you give us an update in a few weeks/month?

adclawrence
19th February 2013, 07:07 PM
No worries.

So far, it's been working perfectly, even lately through the 40c days. Perfect.

SIMid
20th February 2013, 04:20 PM
Being lazy here, not clicking the link.

Do they sell coloured screens or only repairs?

guy 27
20th February 2013, 04:27 PM
Being lazy here, not clicking the link.

Do they sell coloured screens or only repairs?

only repairs.

The only colour screen for these that was offered in the G was a 5" one which we never got in aus.
was the same as what came as an option in the overseas H.

SIMid
20th February 2013, 04:31 PM
only repairs.

The only colour screen for these that was offered in the G was a 5" one which we never got in aus.
was the same as what came as an option in the overseas H.

Cool, thanks for that! Another reason not to mod. :lol:

adclawrence
20th February 2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah, haha. They only do they ribbon cable repair for the CDX/SRI Turbo/Vert.

balker
1st April 2013, 11:59 AM
How is the fixed MFD display going at the moment, thinking of sending mine off too!

adclawrence
1st April 2013, 05:38 PM
So far it's been pretty much perfect. Only once on a suddenly cold day, I started the car and a couple of lines appeared. After 5 minutes it's all perfect again and has been good ever since.

I'm confident in the repair, and the repairer offers a lifetime warranty which I asked about when the lines showed up and he was more than happy to honour it.

balker
1st April 2013, 06:28 PM
So far it's been pretty much perfect. Only once on a suddenly cold day, I started the car and a couple of lines appeared. After 5 minutes it's all perfect again and has been good ever since.

I'm confident in the repair, and the repairer offers a lifetime warranty which I asked about when the lines showed up and he was more than happy to honour it.

Thanks!

AfterBurner
1st April 2013, 10:16 PM
Not 100% sure but i think the MFD uses a technology called TAB bonding (Tape Adhesive Bonding), not solder.

This problem exists in many types of LCD displays, happens when the glue becomes resistive, hence the lines/characters disappearing.

There are places here that can repair it, but last time i inquired, for a different type of LCD display, they wanted $80 or more just to quote it....!

Glad they did a good job for you & hopefully it lasts more than the original...