PDA

View Full Version : black car + dark tint

spo22a
22nd December 2004, 10:12 PM
Am thinking of getting (legal) tints for my black astra and was reading some general info and opinions that dark tints + black car = higher risk of accident, and so it would be a safer option to just settle for a light tint.

Of course, purely based on looks, its heaps cooler to have a darker car and make it more difficult for people to see inside. . .but from a safety point of view, you can understand the argument cos when you're on the road and at intersections (even as a pedestrian crossing the road), you do look at the driver to see what they're doing - if they're looking to turn, not paying attention, and especially checking to see that they've noticed you.

Just wondering what you guys thought????

Mitch
22nd December 2004, 10:20 PM
It wouldn't make a difference what colour the car was. I have 35% legal tints and it's fine.

drewc
22nd December 2004, 11:01 PM
Get the SILVER TINT - ILLEGAL DARKNESS - did i just say that.... sorry dont listen to me hehe - Remember i never said that the tint company would do it illegal but with no reciept and cash payment. - again dont listen to me.
Stick with 35% that is not to dark. Check out the silver tint its awsome

Bernard Siong
22nd December 2004, 11:02 PM
darkest legal is still very visible
just do it

Alfonzo
22nd December 2004, 11:10 PM
There's a general rumor that black cars have more accidents, but why your level of tint would have any effect on this theory is beyond me.

Darkest legal looks awesome on any car and does not hamper vision in any way (f it did, it would be illegal, duh :P ). You certainly won't regret it.

RK
22nd December 2004, 11:26 PM
Thats why you should drive with your foggies on ;)
Like me, cos every tom and duck and harry pops out in front of me like im not there! :bang:

YuSuF
22nd December 2004, 11:43 PM
Some poeple still go even if they see me :screwy:

blackSRi
23rd December 2004, 12:32 AM
Darker cars and silver cars have proven higher accident rates (I wrote a thread on this b4) - darker cars in blue/green are the worst. I drive with my headlights on and I don't find people pull in front of me as much (the 1st six months I drove with them off and it was a multiple time a day issue - maybe people can't judge how far away the car is or how fast due to the darker colour and less contrast? - just a theory).
3M Carbon tint is legal and one of the darkest (have a look BMW with 3M Black Carbon Tint (http://www.members.optushome.com.au/dross01/M3/tint.jpg) ) - looks good with a black car.

Fungusfee
23rd December 2004, 12:59 AM
3M Carbon tint is legal and one of the darkest (have a look) - looks good with a black car.

i got this on my car (2001 dark blue astra) and it looks sweet. little more expensive than some of the others but definately worth the cost (~300 or something. can't remember).

no probs seeing through it from the inside but looks dark on the outside. + they obviously don't tint the windscreen so other drivers can still see you...i'd go for it

about the colour, i heard blue/green are the worst cos they can look like the sky at dusk

Degen-Astra
23rd December 2004, 01:01 AM
With mine i did the rear window darker which is totally legal. In Vic you can have the rear windows all dark as you want but the fronts have to be no more that 35% tint.
My rear is about 10-15% darker than the sides and it darkens the interior just that touch, also helps reduce glare from high beams as well i have found.

blackSRi
23rd December 2004, 01:11 AM
helps reduce glare from high beams as well i have found

That's what the 3M site (http://www.3m.com/intl/au/windowfilms/whats_new_scotchtint_black.jhtml) says and it's true...

RK
23rd December 2004, 01:16 AM
My car is green/blue. That explains a lot.

blackSRi
23rd December 2004, 01:27 AM
On the car colour and crash rate - the article is at http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov.au/Research/crash_stats_analysis/7-3.html

Interesting discussion on this is at http://www.sia.org.au/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=50

Princess
23rd December 2004, 03:36 PM
I have black car with darkest legal tint...and it ain't that dark....it just looks pretty good 8)

OzStick
27th December 2004, 02:10 PM
Hi spo22a,

Go for the 3M Carbon tinting - being carbon it is truly black, unlike some others. The place I got mine done at put samples of different tints onto a window of my car for comparison and I was staggered ast the difference. The 3M tinting costs more but IMO it is worth it.

As far as visibility to other cars is concerned, I also agree that it's a good idea to drive with foggies or headlights where visibility is less than perfect just to make sure you are noticed.

Aside from anything else, black tinted windows on a black car just looks great........

OPL-20T
28th December 2004, 09:11 AM
i got 5% on the back windows and 10% on the front windows of my SriT. in the back during the day no one can see in if u have a passanger sitting there, in the front u have to look extreamly hard to make out the persons gender and so on.

i paid $300 for these tints on the side hee hee.
i can get any tint for anyone at the best price and beat any price as i have a friend that is a pro window tinter :)

EGG80X
28th December 2004, 09:36 AM
hey get some black mags as well, tint the indicators and tail light

BassyAstra
28th December 2004, 09:57 AM
can get any tint for anyone at the best price and beat any price as i have a friend that is a pro window tinter

Can i take you up on that, i want to get my car tinted? :lol:
Is there some kind of warranty like the 15 or so years with Solace?

OzzySRi
28th December 2004, 11:41 PM
if u dont want ur to look too dark, use metalised tint. its silverish (not mirror). i dont like 'limo' black tints on black cars... too black.

i got 20% metalised on mine givin me good privacy. I remember givin MrAstra a scare when i jumped out of the car while he was taking a pic only feet away... he thought the car was empty HEHEHEHE :P

Oh yeah, if u go low%, be prepared for some gutter rash on ur rear rims. its pretty hard reverse parking on a rainy nite. :bang:

Al