PDA

View Full Version : Country of Origin

MCDC18
22nd December 2004, 11:26 AM
I have an Astra SRi 2.2, built in mid 2001. Anyone know which country it was built in?

I've read Germany or Belgium but not sure.

imay
22nd December 2004, 12:03 PM
Belgium is the most likely place for a 2001 model. The current Classic Astra is produced in Poland, while the new H model has taken over the production line in Belgium.
Vectras built in Belgium and the UK (sedans and wagons Belgium, hatchbacks UK).
Barina/Corsa built in Spain.
Zafira are built somewhere in Asia . . . Thailand I think. I stand to be corrected on this, though.

The Barina C and Astra G are also assembled in Argentina(?) under the Chevrolet banner.

NXA-16H
23rd December 2004, 02:44 PM
<snip>
Zafira are built somewhere in Asia . . . Thailand I think. I stand to be corrected on this, though.

The Barina C and Astra G are also assembled in Argentina(?) under the Chevrolet banner.

Uh, Correction! 8)

The current model Zafira is manufactured in Belgium, whereas the Holden Cruze, which is merely a re-badged Suzuki, with its Live Rear Suspension is assembled in Thailand.

Don't know about the Corsa C and Astra G being assembled in Argentina (or Brazil either for that matter). But you'll notice that certain Corsas and Astras are the same in South Africa as well as in South America, in that the Corsa-C also comes in small Sedan form.

It's also interesting to point out that a Station-Wagon Astra-G is available in New Zealand, but not here. Although I believe some Kiwis have brought theirs over here. There's actually a very nice white one getting around in my neck of the woods.

So it could be that they're still made in Europe, but we'll likely never see them here.

NXA-16H

Mr T
23rd December 2004, 09:13 PM
Uh correction!

The Zafira that is sent to Aus is built in Thailand by Isuzu along side the new Rodeo

The Belgium plant has problems keeping up with local demand - particularly in Italy, therefore the RHD versions are assembled in Asia where the RHD demand is.

MCDC18 - your car i would put good money on, was built in Belgium - I see we can agree on that :oops:

Anonymous
23rd December 2004, 09:22 PM
tasmania :lol: