PDA

View Full Version : quick question about red light cameras

NPR
22nd December 2004, 01:36 AM
i was driving home tonight down anzac pde (sydney) and went through the lights when it was abit dodgy as to amber/red.. i know that it only takes pics when you enter after the red light is displayed, but the camera was infront of me not behind, would i have seen a flash? and would it have been aimed at traffic in my lanes or at the opposite lanes (those moving away from the camera)? i heard that these days red light/speeding cameras can only take rear shots by law due to privacy issues? anyways thanx in advance for the help...

astra_city
22nd December 2004, 02:59 AM
im not sure exactly but I know in Perth you definitely see the flash. You would think that you'd have to see the flash, especially at night. I also thought that the camera's took 2 pictures to see for example if you were half way through an amber when it went red etc....

Anonymous
22nd December 2004, 08:51 AM
ive never seen a red light camera with out a flash and i dont think they shoot in front because motorbike dont have a front plate

Mrs T
22nd December 2004, 09:07 AM
i dont know much about red light cameras, but i always thought that because of privacy laws they were not allowed to photograph you from the front although when someone i know went to court for a fixed speed camera fine they showed him the photos and the photos had taken pics from the front of the car and the camera was on the opposite side of the road.

I think they can change the laws when it suits them lol but i am sure you would have seen a flash unless you were in a well lit tunnel or area.

On the M4 if you go through the EWay and dont have a tag they take a photo of you but they dont have flashes cause its really bright there.

Good Luck anyway

astra_city
22nd December 2004, 11:05 AM
Yeah I'm not entirely sure whether it takes the photo from in front or behind, although in WA all speed cameras take the photo from in front of the car. Then again, every state would probably be different.
Good luck with it though

wardy
22nd December 2004, 11:32 AM
You wont miss a flash from a red light camera. It's pretty bright.

a_manda
22nd December 2004, 11:40 AM
All Red Light Camera's in New South Wales are taken from behind ...

Like most speed cameras (excluding those few that drop down in 40km/h school zones) they take them from behind....

Hope this helps :)

Anonymous
22nd December 2004, 11:43 AM
Like most speed cameras (excluding those few that drop down in 40km/h school zones) they take them from behind....

and the one at james ruse drive near the race course ;)

Rhino
22nd December 2004, 12:13 PM
AFAIK, the red light cameras are only for the traffic flowing away from the camera... ie: it will be a rear shot.

I'd THINK that you would be OK.

I did the same thing the other night...

NUTTTR
22nd December 2004, 06:25 PM
I've had camera's get people from the front (someone skidding through lights on pennant hills road!!!) front on...... So i'd guess front on they also work, and you don't miss the flash, it blinds from forwards!!!! I know some are rear, some are both, however don't be fooled by the speed cameras..... let's just say A LOT of them are starting to get both sides of the road *hint* *hint*

NPR
22nd December 2004, 07:36 PM
thanx everyone :D, am just a little paranoid as i only got my P's recently.

beep beep sri
22nd December 2004, 10:07 PM
doent stress bud i had one go off on springvale road infront of me id say someone going the other way got busted but geez did i shit the flash is SO bright

beep beep sri
22nd December 2004, 10:07 PM
doent stress bud i had one go off on springvale road infront of me id say someone going the other way got busted but geez did i shit the flash is SO bright

Fungusfee
23rd December 2004, 12:45 AM
ive never seen a red light camera with out a flash and i dont think they shoot in front because motorbike dont have a front plate

there was a big thing in tha paper a coupla months ago about bikes going through red light cameras at 180km/h and they couldn't book em 'cos they don't have a front plate. some bikes also do wheelies through the cameras

GAZ914
23rd December 2004, 08:55 AM
Red light cameras are not active until a couple of seconds after the RED light comes on - ie you have had plenty of time to stop.

I believe the camera will trigger no matter the direction you are travelling in as there is normally only one camera for the whole intersection.

BUT some are also speed cameras as well, so if you "gun it" to make the amber light...

Anonymous
23rd December 2004, 01:47 PM
this is for spped cameras
How do Fixed Digital Speed Cameras work?
How do the digital cameras work?

The fixed speed cameras detect the speed of vehicles by using piezo electronic detectors embedded into the road surface. These piezo detectors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over the detectors, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.
What does the camera record?

If a vehicle is detected speeding, a digital image of the vehicle is recorded onto a disk from which all details regarding the speeding vehicle can be extracted. The image clearly shows the colour, type, make and number plate of the vehicle. Fixed digital speed cameras have the capacity to measure speed in both directions.

Digital images also include the following particulars:

* Date of the offence
* Time of the offence
* Location details of the camera which took the picture
* Direction of travel of the offending vehicle
* Speed of the offending vehicle
* Speed limit applying to the road where the camera is situated
* The lane that the vehicle was travelling within
* Other security and integrity parameters

How do the fixed speed cameras work in multi-lane situations?

Fixed speed cameras can monitor one to four lanes in the same direction. In the Eastern Distributor, northbound for example, cameras have been installed and configured to simultaneously monitor all four lanes. This is achieved by the installation of piezo detectors for each lane and of a wide angle lens camera, which monitors all lanes, and a telephoto lens camera, targeting each traffic lane. Therefore it is clear which vehicle has been detected. Vehicles cannot avoid camera detection by straddling lanes.
Can the cameras identify a speeding vehicle in a line of traffic?

A speeding vehicle can be detected and photographed even if it is within a line of vehicles. The angle at which the cameras are set enables pictures to be taken even if another vehicle is in close proximity.
How do I know that information recorded is secure?

The original recorded images are stored electronically on a WORM (Write Once Read Many) disk, which cannot be overwritten or altered. A security indicator is also produced when the file is written to the disk and should any attempt be made to tamper with the image at any stage, this is obvious to the relevant technician viewing the image.

Where the image is electronically transferred, all images and relevant information (such as time, date and location) is encrypted. Thus, the image cannot be viewed without the appropriate encryption key.

The original image forms the basis of the evidence produced in court. In line with legislative requirements, the photographs from fixed, digital speed cameras can be tendered as evidence in court, together with appropriate evidentiary certificates signed by an expert.
How do I know that the camera system is accurate and reliable?

The digital speed camera system (including the digital camera recording device and the associated speed-measuring device) chosen for NSW has undergone a comprehensive evaluation and testing procedure to ensure its accuracy and reliability. Experts, authorised by the RTA, inspect each camera system and verify its accuracy and proper operation prior to the commencement of the camera operation and thereafter at regular intervals. The camera recording device is inspected every 30 days and the speed-measuring device is inspected at least every 12 months in line with current legal requirements. An inspection is also conducted following any maintenance or repair of either of these devices.