PDA

View Full Version : Rear window wipers

01CDsedan
15th February 2004, 10:52 AM
Do you guys who have rear window wipers actually use them?

I ask because on my Astra sedan, I find that while I'm driving in the rain, the aerodynamics and so on mean that the rear window stays totally dry - as long as I don't have to stop at the lights or anything. Seeing as 99% of my driving is on the freeway between Canberra and Sydney, I hardly ever have to stop for anything...

So do you guys actually need to use your rear wipers?

Degen-Astra
15th February 2004, 10:54 AM
I do if its parked outside somewhere and it rains. And because i used to do alot of city driving, good old stop starting...so, yes.

SmellyTofu
15th February 2004, 10:55 AM
I do.. only when it's not moving. But the rear window does get very dirty at times. I think all cars, sedan or otherwise should have one. But yeah, once it's moving, the water just goes to the side.

Anonymous
15th February 2004, 03:30 PM
I only use mine If I've stopped and it raining or In the Morning to Clear the Mist off. :D

DrDevil
16th February 2004, 12:29 AM
i find i use mine abit on the Barina - doesnt't have the same aerodynamics as the astra

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 09:18 AM
I only use mine If I've stopped and it raining or In the Morning to Clear the Mist off. :DWhat he said :D

tmov81
16th February 2004, 09:45 AM
wouldn't an aerodynamic car have the water run straight from the bonnet over the roof and down the rear window...

A truck on the otherhand would be dry at the back because of the lack of aero?

I think rear wipers are good... I know that when i drive my parents lancer (yuck) it has no rear wiper and it pisses me off in the morning coz it has dew on it (my cally on the other hath not this problem as i commandeered the garage muhahaha :twisted:)

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 11:41 AM
Yeha i use mine when it rains... tat reminds me, i need to get new wipers on the back.

euro_stylin
16th February 2004, 11:52 AM
only when when i take off in the morning to clear the dew (if there is any)... i turn it on then off straight away!
its annoying seeing people driving along with there back wiper on...whats the point?! esspically when its only sprinkling!!

01CDsedan
16th February 2004, 08:05 PM
wouldn't an aerodynamic car have the water run straight from the bonnet over the roof and down the rear window...

A truck on the otherhand would be dry at the back because of the lack of aero?

The aerodynamics of the Astra Sedan may be such that the airflow over the car effectively 'blasts' water droplets away from the rear window, especially at higher speeds. There may also be some sort of turbulence effect back there causing it.

On the truck example, cars with dead-vertical rear ends (like most wagons and a lot of hatchbacks) get a type of airflow around the rear that actually causes them to be dirtier than average because dirt and water are sort of sucked into that area via a turbulence effect (basically because the airflow doesn't flow down the back of the car, it flows off the back of the roof and into the air). That's why a lot of wagons have a small 'spoiler' at the top of the back window - to direct air downwards in an attempt to fix this problem. VT-VY Commodore wagons are a good example of this.

SmellyTofu
16th February 2004, 09:04 PM
Yes, the hatch gets really really dirty quickly whenever there is rain.

Anonymous
16th February 2004, 09:45 PM
is it only me?,
i can drive down the freeway doing 110k's raining and the water just beads off the front window so i dont need wipers on, i ve never added rain x or anything

SmellyTofu
16th February 2004, 09:48 PM
No.. I get that too.. but I find Rain X last 2 hrs with constant raining on the freeway and then a film starts forming.

imay
17th February 2004, 08:44 AM
My rear wiper is is there to spoil the looks only, I reckon. I find RainX is great for the front windscreen, but seems (I partly agree with Smelly) to lack something on the back glass. I think the aerodynamics causes all the road grime to be dumped on the back window, rendering RainX and the wiper pretty well useless. I don't have a problem with dew on the back window, so don't even have to use the wiper for that. More a nuisance than anything when it comes time for washing the car. Guess it's another one of those Euro (trash) ideas that every carmaker feels they must have these days. I put it right up there with the "ice" setting on the automatics . . . not something that too many Aussies would use every day!
But, on the subject of wipers . . . who can recommend a decent brand of wiper blade for the front? I'm sick of buying "the latest, greatest, space technology silicon" only to find that they still only wipe on the up stroke, leaving a smear on the return; or chatter, squeal, etc. There's got to be something that does what it is supposed to do!
Ian

daastra
17th February 2004, 01:24 PM
Interesting topic!!!

I actually use my rear wiper but only in wet night driving. I like to be able to see out of my windows clearly - don't like anything blocking my vision. But I also think this is out of habit. I use to drive a 91 corolla hatch and you had to use your wipers when ever it rained.

01CDsedan
17th February 2004, 01:50 PM
Imay: Don't buy the latest, greatest, space age silicon - they suck. Get natural rubber.