PDA

View Full Version : Removing Side Strip on a barina C

drewc
21st December 2004, 09:46 PM
Hey,

I was thinking about spraying yet decided against it. I was wondering if anyone knew what was behind the side plastic door panels that run on both sides. I am refering to wether its just taped like badges are OR they have pin holes in the body where they attach. I have attached Picture...

http://aussiephonedeals.com/opel/88.jpg

Degen-Astra
21st December 2004, 09:54 PM
I think there is nothing behind them as I have pics of a Corsa with them taken off and no pins or anything underneath.

Anyone confirm this?

drewc
21st December 2004, 10:07 PM
IF that is true they are off tommorrow. I have also see pics of them off and i didnt see any holes unless they were covered and sprayed over.

Degen-Astra
21st December 2004, 10:42 PM
BTW...LOVE that color Barina!! I was trying to convince my mate to get that color Barina...but she bought a 1.8 Astra instead in a light mettalic blue.

Anonymous
21st December 2004, 11:31 PM
i would say it would have pin holes under it mate after all they need to stay on they are door protectors :P

DrDevil
22nd December 2004, 02:00 AM
i would say it would have pin holes under it mate after all they need to stay on they are door protectors :P no, there are definately NO holes underneath - many members of this site have pulled them off, it is just held on with tape.

drewc
22nd December 2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks for confirmung that Dr Devil, Gives me something to do today. Will take some before and after pics for you all to see. If my hands were sore scrubbing the sticky tape behind the holden badges on the back the side strips will be 1000 times worse lol. PAIN = BEAUTY

Anonymous
22nd December 2004, 09:25 AM
wow i stand corrected :P good luck man

Dee
22nd December 2004, 10:01 AM
no hole

http://members.optusnet.com.au/c0mmy/donna/02.jpg

what mine looked like just after the strips were taken off

mind you the tape behind it is about 2 inches thick and very hard to get off... dont attempt this trick without help from some fishing line and a very good glue solvent!!!

drewc
22nd December 2004, 02:57 PM
What did you use. I used Big Kevs Goo Remover on the badges and that was ok to get that off. How long did it take you to get the strips off?

beep beep sri
22nd December 2004, 03:14 PM
geez if an sxi looks that good im pullen the strips off my sri afterall they are only a pain to wash around

Dee
22nd December 2004, 03:47 PM
What did you use. I used Big Kevs Goo Remover on the badges and that was ok to get that off. How long did it take you to get the strips off?
the tape on these are much worse than the badges....

i got a panelbeater mate of mine to do it for me.... took about 2 hours.. and he had a good glue solvent too.... including polishing the area afterwards ttoo

drewc
22nd December 2004, 06:30 PM
Hey, I just got one off and i ran out of big kevs goo remover. Used metholated spirits and it worked a charm. (WAS HESITANT AT FIRST USING METHO BUT WORKED 100%)

ok now i have 2 faint lines where the double sided table was. What is the best thing to polish that off with and what do i need. Is it jsut a polish cream or do i need to use a buf pad and polish using that??

Drew

ultim8DTM5
22nd December 2004, 06:33 PM
www.autopia-carcare.com

frankie9fingers
22nd December 2004, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the dark side Pete :lol:

A standard polish will do fine. just make sure it's clearcoat safe. (most are these days)

Degen-Astra
22nd December 2004, 08:37 PM
Eucalyptus oil...and a hair dryer!
Hair dryer will soften it up...the oil will help to pull off the glue it self and works a treat.

Anonymous
22nd December 2004, 09:10 PM
sorry to say but the car looks nakie hehe put its clothes back on! :P it would look better if the wheel archers were colour coded i love it though looks so clean

Dee
23rd December 2004, 09:57 AM
sorry to say but the car looks nakie hehe put its clothes back on! :P it would look better if the wheel archers were colour coded i love it though looks so clean

i like it the way it is... and yes the wheel arch's are getting done... just dont have the $$ atm...

Anonymous
23rd December 2004, 09:59 AM
good work donna great minds think alike hehehe i like it too though it looks great ! :D :)

drewc
23rd December 2004, 10:59 AM
|opel| looking at your signature and can see your car. What is that sticker that goes across the right hand side of the bonnet. OPEL in black sticker i mean. Where did you get that??

Drew

Dee
23rd December 2004, 11:44 AM
and another pic of the side :)

http://nedgeworth.cainer.net/Pics/Coast%20Lunch/images/21.jpg

~Kupu~
23rd December 2004, 12:49 PM
i like that pic...... the background scenery is nice ;) :lol:

OzzySRi
23rd December 2004, 12:58 PM
ok now i have 2 faint lines where the double sided table was. What is the best thing to polish that off with and what do i need. Is it jsut a polish cream or do i need to use a buf pad and polish using that??

Drew

id prolly give it once over with scratchX or a clay to get it all smooth then give it a good polish n wax as the metho prolly stripped it clean

Al

Dee
23rd December 2004, 01:10 PM

especially to the right of the car ;)

~Kupu~
23rd December 2004, 01:15 PM

especially to the right of the car ;)

8)

Dee
11th January 2005, 03:42 PM
just ressurecting this to see hos DrewC went with the removal of the strips??

how did you do it and was it easy for you to do???

cmon tell us all the details and show us the final product... pweese

drewc
11th January 2005, 04:08 PM
Hey guys,

Ok i got the strips off. It is not as easy as i thought. Here is what you need to do the job

1. Fishing wire
2. Metholated spirits
3. Cloth - tea towel works great
4. Hair Dryer
5. heaps of patience
6. finger transplant aftwards

Here is what you do.

1. Use the fishing wire and carefully use a sawing action to cut into the glue. you just need to get enought of the strip off so you can peel it slowly from the car.
Dont pull it off to hard as the glue is strong as and the body of the car moves when you pull it off. Dont worry thought you wont pop the panel

2. Once off you will have 2 strips of 1cm thick tape that has been left behind. This takes time to get this off. dont go easy on the metho use heaps or get another glue solvent. It take time and loads and loads and loads of rubbing to get this off. If you are patient you can get alot of this off by tring to roll the tape back on itself and that helps a bit. Its easier to do this on a hot day as the glue is alot more moveable. You need to use the tea towel and rub like crazy until this all comes off. Take your time as your thumbs get really sore.

3. It might help you to take the small strip that isnot on the door (30cm long) off first and se how long itakes you to do a small area.

Dont get tempted to use something to scratch the tape off. It comes off gradulaly just rubbing it just have some patience.

It helps to put metho on the cloth and rub it on all the tap everytime you go to put more on the area you are working on. The long the metho is on the tape it seems to soak in and break down the glue so keep applying it.

here is the pics guys

http://aussiephonedeals.com/opel/3.jpg
http://aussiephonedeals.com/opel/4.jpg

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 04:12 PM
well done there drew pitty about the red fog lights to spoil the black and gold theme :mrgreen:

Dee
11th January 2005, 04:14 PM
very nice ;) well worth the effort tho isnt it?

drewc
11th January 2005, 04:31 PM
Yes mate i think its worth it. Car looks different - I thinka better different
:D

andrew
11th January 2005, 04:47 PM
All you need now is to remove the Sri on both sides and then it will better. And then other cars dont know you are a Sri.

drewc
11th January 2005, 04:56 PM
I am actually getting these new SRI red badges for the sides.

I have attached it below. I have never seen the red ones before - imahine it would look hot on an black sri as well

~Kupu~
11th January 2005, 05:09 PM
looks good without the side strips - good work 8)

frankie9fingers
11th January 2005, 05:40 PM
Do not put the red SRi badges on!! it'll stuff the whole classy look!!
remove the SRi badge asewell. My opinion only, but i'm sure i'm intimidating enough that others will agree. :lol: if not a curse that your children will grow thumbs instead of nipples!

DrDevil
11th January 2005, 05:47 PM
i think the red badges will look great. remove your other badges and place the red ones below the side indicator. it will look smick.

~Kupu~
11th January 2005, 05:57 PM
i dunno.... the red with the gold.......... hmmmmm

sunny
11th January 2005, 06:30 PM
put the badge on the rear of the sideskirt if u are going to put them on 8)

drewc
11th January 2005, 06:34 PM
Remember---

Red is already on the original SRI badge
Red sprayed Brakes on the SRI
+ My new RED Custom PLates that i will show off soon.

anyway.. great thing is if i dont like it it will come off.. easy

mr_astra_retired
11th January 2005, 06:35 PM
I think if your goin to put red sri badges on the doors , put them in a different spot from where they are , cos without the side strip it will make it look terrible :|

drewc
11th January 2005, 06:38 PM
By the way - next project is the mags -

deciding betwwen the following 2 from tempe tyres

both are $1599 with tyres fitted

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/content/products/big_savannahScreenL.jpg

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/content/products/CRW_0969_RT8.jpg

I am totally undecided betwwen the 2 of them. I am not sure. I have seen both and cant make up my mind. Any opinions out there guys - I am sure ther will be lol :D :D :D

Dee
11th January 2005, 06:41 PM
the top ones :) trust me the further apart the spokes are the easier the wheels are to clean ;)

and they look good :D

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 07:39 PM
if your going to put chromies on your corsa drew you should move to Queensland cos thats the chromie state :lol:

frankie9fingers
11th January 2005, 07:46 PM
drew, i love you like a brother so it's easy for me to say: Stay the hell away from those rims!! Go for Shadow Chrome. you'll regret buying those. trust me, i'm you bro. :wink:

ultim8DTM5
11th January 2005, 08:01 PM
Hahaha, I reckon you should go for a colour code brother! Im undecided on the chrome

Just be careful with the solvents people! They can **** up your paint :bang:

drewc
11th January 2005, 09:51 PM
I have never had crome wheels before - i am byuing as they LOOK hot. Never considered the cleaning. - How hard are the crome wheels to clean guys??

Who has cromes and how do you find them to clean???

Also i was looking agetting GOLD rims before yet couldnt find that much that i liked. I have come to the conclusion that 5 spoke look the best out of all the rims

drewc
11th January 2005, 09:54 PM
i think the red badges will look great. remove your other badges and place the red ones below the side indicator. it will look smick.

Thats what i was thinking - i have thought about that one for a while and that is the best spot i can think of. I also want to get these OPC (Opel Performace Cars) badges that will fit under that one. Not sure yet but unless i can think of another spot then they are going there

Dee
12th January 2005, 09:59 AM
chrome wheels are hard to keep clean on opel cars because of the brake pads that are on the cars....

just wash them weekly and you will be right... be careful to get into all the corners.. thats where the brake dust builds up and eats into ur chrome

ultim8DTM5
12th January 2005, 10:24 AM
Yeh but from what I've found, dust shouldn't be the #1 concern- stopping is!

Its not as simple as going to an aftermarket "low-dust" braking compound.

break
12th January 2005, 11:29 AM
Looks like i'm gonna have fun removing my strips this weekend.

I need to sort out a new 'break' sticker for my rear window as its starting to go a bit brown instead of white :P

Kwijy
12th January 2005, 12:23 PM
Looks great!
I've got an astra (four door) with those strips that i was going to take off. But my friend warned me against it, as apparently for roadworthy it needs them on.. is this true? :roll:

Dee
12th January 2005, 12:25 PM
lol really... ive seen cars come off the production line without bump strips.....

frankie9fingers
12th January 2005, 12:34 PM
nope.

Kwijy
12th January 2005, 12:35 PM
lol really... ive seen cars come off the production line without bump strips.....

lol... sorry didn't explain it right. he meant cars that come off the production line WITH bump strips have to keep them on. i didn't fully believe him when he told me.. but he told me this eloborate story to convince me. :? *shrug*

if not.. well then i'll take mine off this weekend as well :)

frankie9fingers
12th January 2005, 12:38 PM
nope. totally legal.

Kwijy
12th January 2005, 12:44 PM
nope. totally legal.

oh, i should slap that boy :lol:
thanks for that.. my car's getting nekid this weekend :P

cheers

~Kupu~
12th January 2005, 02:09 PM
but dont astras have holes under thier bump strips?

Kwijy
12th January 2005, 05:27 PM

hope not. anyone conferm?

~Kupu~
12th January 2005, 05:47 PM
I am actually pretty sure they do

16vopl
12th January 2005, 08:15 PM
hey drew, you bought rims yet?
buy some black rims and paint your calipers gold. that would looks the part :lol:

vaults everywhere down here... one of everycar has a set

Degen-Astra
12th January 2005, 08:49 PM

hope not. anyone conferm?

I thought they were pins actually.

drewc
12th January 2005, 09:58 PM
hey drew, you bought rims yet?
buy some black rims and paint your calipers gold. that would looks the part

vaults everywhere down here... one of everycar has a set

Nope i havent bought them as yet. am either selling them or putting them on the wifes 2003 astra classic and buying new ones.