PDA

View Full Version : Vectra 2.6 v6 Y26SE Engine

Psymonds1
9th January 2013, 12:18 AM
Hi to all, Haven't done this before so be kind.

Whilst trying to get info on my car i have come across you guys, what a great forum. (Didn't know this existed) Hope i can help others and get some info aswell.

I bought a vectra 2.6 V6 a few months ago, great car for handling, fuel and power when you need it. Then Disaster struck, i started her up and as i pulled off driveway backwards all of a sudden it sounded like i was driving an old diesel clattering like mad. Had it towed to garage and was told it was probably camshaft and quoted 3 - 4000 to fix. I couldn't afford that so having a little knowledge of cars i decided to strip it down myself, WOW never worked on a V6 DOHC before, No manuals to help from haynes or gregorys so struggled quite a bit.

Eventually got it all out and have sent the heads away for an overhaul. I'm going to replace the obvious: Full head gasket set, head bolts, timing belt, water pump and sprocket bolts, but is there anything else i should be replacing? On a budget so don't want to replace stuff i don't have to.

Things i need help with though are as follows:

1. Whilst taking heads off i found a lot of black in exhaust outlet manifold and head, it used to be burning a little oil but would this be from valve stem seals or pistons ?

2. Pipes from air intake to engine ventilation housing including plastic part on top of plenums where blocked with old oil, found an old forum talk and cleaned these all out but it didn't say if you needed to take engine ventilation housing of block and clean this also, if so how do you do it ?

3. How do you go about cleaning top of pistons off whilst still in block as they are coated in black, obviously don't want to ruin anything ?

4. The half moon divots on crown face of front 3 pistons where black like all of the face but the back 3 the half moon divots where shiny metal, does this mean the valve stems where hitting the pistons, Ie the clattering noise i suddenly got ?

Sorry for the long story.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers Paul