PDA

View Full Version : Opel/Holden Radios?

onepointeight
20th December 2004, 08:02 PM
Hey,

Ive noticed in Aus delivered Vectras, Astras, Barinas and Zafiras, they are fitted with a non-rds head unit. How come Australian cars have different radios to euro cars?

It seems kinda weird really that Australia misses out on the RDS becasue it takes full advantage of the screen fitted in these cars?

Could someone explain why the radios are changed over?

Onepointeight!

RK
20th December 2004, 08:08 PM
what is RDS?

onepointeight
20th December 2004, 08:13 PM
It enables small amounts of data to be broadcast so eg the station name will appear instead of the frequency, there are some other features which RDS can perform as well!

Onepointeight!

RK
20th December 2004, 08:16 PM
oh.. do you have a pic of your stereos?

NUTTTR
20th December 2004, 09:43 PM
Because RDS is merely a "toy" in australia, it's not marketed and not all the stations use it, also the emergency services, etc, etc, etc do not use it... RDS is used for all sorts of stuff o/s in america, etc, but here it's not used at all, hence, no rds in the h/u.... RDS has stacks of features, only station naming is available here on about 4 stations in sydney, so it's crap!
Aaron

onepointeight
20th December 2004, 10:04 PM
I was reading elsewhere on the forum about a special adapter which enables aftermarket headunits to take advantage of the screen, what kind of information is relayed to the screen from the headunit or is it just for intergration with the steering wheel controls?

Onepointeight!

NUTTTR
21st December 2004, 12:01 AM
Some (certain ones AFAIK - i think sony has an adapter for the steering wheel controls only) have controls for either, only blaupunkt i think have both steering wheel and screen connections/adapters
Aaron

Rhino
21st December 2004, 12:33 PM
Aaron there are a few others out now...

There's a topic floating around on here somewhere (http://svr58.ehostpros.com/%7Eopela58/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=2242)...

RDS I think could also display traffic info and stuff. I imagine that maybe when digital radio kicks right in and becomes more of a standard that our in-car radios may take advantage of RDS.

As for now, we're behind like everything else ie: SatNav (very slow introduction)

ultim8DTM5
21st December 2004, 01:43 PM
I don't think digital radio will kick in- its too expensive to setup and the market here is too small (drawing direct comparisons with Satellite Radio in the US such as XM and Sirius, subscriber-based digital radio)

entice
21st December 2004, 09:31 PM
RDS I have seen on some Aus Astra/Vectra's, but I think they were mules.

AFAIK there isnt much info on them otehr than station naming. That's it..
RDS really wont take over here in AUS...its not that flash anyway. Why bother implementing a system to audio systems, when, as SAT Nav becomes more prominent, it will in that?

Re the different radios...well I was in Japan recently and saw a Phillips unit in an Astra. Different units for different situations. Just as radio/aerial tuning. Different markets have different needs, and very different audio set-ups. Sure, they all raid the aGM udio parts bin, and submit different options and setups that tehy feel is best suited for that market, but at the end of it all, it's ALWAYS up to the bean counters to decide on which setup will get the nod. All the audio/entertainment/electonic engineering department can do is submit suggestions that float somewhere near the budget....

It's really disappointing when u get to see some of the options that get given up cos they are too costly...heck, I'd pay the extra!

I guess we should be greatful, some markets dont get any audio at all!

onepointeight
21st December 2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Onepointeight!

Corsa
22nd December 2004, 11:31 PM
A mate used to own a CD Astra (early model) and his displayed radio station names and that was about it. The Astra i had whilst working in Italy had it and i thought it was great especially travelling through Switzerland where it is utilised very well. Names of songs playing and artists in multiple languages etc.
I turned the Traffic reporting function off as although i knew what they were saying i had no idea where the roads were that they mentioned. :?
Corsa