PDA

View Full Version : ah - ts 1.8 engine the same?

wadeio
1st January 2013, 01:41 PM
Hey, Could someone please help me, ive got a ah astra coupe, z18xe motor, timing belt broke so up for a new motor, Will the z18xe out of a ts go straght into my ah? thanks for any advice :)

guy 27
1st January 2013, 01:50 PM
Make sure engine codes are the same as there are variants. Z18xe, xel and xer

sensors and electronics may be different so will need to be swapped.

If you're fine with that, go ahead with the swap.

chris_r
3rd January 2013, 12:42 AM
As far as I know, the AH Z18XE is almost identical to the TS Z18XE (both are also rated at same power). The XEL variant doesn't really exist here I believe, although it's similar in power to the previous TS X18XE1 engine. The Z18XER is a totally different animal in comparison to the normal Z18XE, both are GM Family 1 engines, but the XER is different in the fact it features variable valve timing (or DCVCP as it's called by GM) and the timing belt on the XER no longer drives the water pump as it does on the regular XE. The XER is also rated at 103kW vs 92kW for the Z18XE.

But as Guy has also said, it should be a fairly straightforward swap, provided you keep all the original ECU, sensors and accessories from the AH. I'm guessing the mounts are also different between the two cars, but the AH mounts should just swap over to the TS block. Only thing I'd be concerned about is how the local authorities would go with putting an engine in that's older than your car, even if it's the same engine type with the newer accessories attached. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask for peace of mind, especially in regards to insurance.

poita
3rd January 2013, 12:53 AM
As far as I'm aware in QLD the engine has to be newer than the chassis for it to be a legal conversion.

There is no documentation on the net though, you have to buy a printed hard copy of the book for $50~

Also read here

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engine_01jan2011_v3.pdf

and here

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

wadeio
4th January 2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all your advice :) ive picked up an ah motor as it seems abit less of a drama, the mechanic advised me to change waterpump/timing kit/ thermostat/ rear main seal on the engine before it gets put in?

guy 27
4th January 2013, 10:42 AM
Your mechanic is right. Saves having to do it later and is a quicker job to do with engine out.

wadeio
5th January 2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks mate :) i was looking at getting all parts from autovaux, they'll be ok to use instead of local parts? (Brisbane)

Jen
5th January 2013, 10:09 AM
Definitely. Same parts but a lot cheaper. Most of the guys here have used the exact same parts in all of their cars with no worries

poita
5th January 2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks mate :) i was looking at getting all parts from autovaux, they'll be ok to use instead of local parts? (Brisbane)

If you are concerned about the parts from Autovaux just specify to them you want genuine parts.

I have used plenty of genuine and aftermarket parts from them with no issues

chris_r
6th January 2013, 11:02 AM
If you are concerned about the parts from Autovaux just specify to them you want genuine parts.

I have used plenty of genuine and aftermarket parts from them with no issues

Cheapest timing belt kit I've seen on eBay comes out of Melbourne and is genuine GM, cost $175 including postage. I just ordered one for Mum's Viva (has similar engine, yet uses a Vectra water pump), last Z18 water pump I bought cost me around $90, again from eBay, which is still running fine in the GSi.