PDA

View Full Version : removing air bag

macca
20th December 2004, 10:39 AM
Yes yes i know its illegal but they can <<EDIT>> id feel safer without an airbag!

just wandering i know that u discon the batt for a good hour or so then how do i take the center section off any tips?

cheers tom

01CDsedan
26th December 2004, 12:23 PM
You'd feel safer without an airbag? Why?!

AnthonyW
26th December 2004, 12:59 PM
There is no way id even try to remove them.

Plus you'll have a check airbag light after / if you could remove them , and it would put error codes for the next time your car is in for service + void your warranty

:screwy:

Degen-Astra
26th December 2004, 01:02 PM
I am also thinking your insurance company wouldnt be to happy if you disabled it and ended up with head and facial injuries.

NUTTTR
26th December 2004, 01:03 PM
Insurance will be void if you remove a built in safety device.... And dash warning lights come on....

DrDevil
26th December 2004, 03:21 PM
not to mention the fact that it is illegal to remove airbags from a car that comes stock with them.

Anonymous
26th December 2004, 04:21 PM
Yes yes i know its illegal but they can <<EDIT>> id feel safer without an airbag!

just wandering i know that u discon the batt for a good hour or so then how do i take the center section off any tips?

cheers tom
tom i like your style on rules :lol:

01CDsedan
26th December 2004, 06:47 PM
The other thing is, how are you ever going to resell a car that has had its airbag removed? Or even get it to pass rego?

macca
29th December 2004, 05:10 PM
haha man ive seen airbags do more damage than good!

the insurance thing is a a bit of a problem but what can u do haha, i mean i guess u can get your wheel retrimmed? or do u think an astra turbo wheel would fit on? there pretty cool and have an air bag

Anonymous
29th December 2004, 05:16 PM
ok you can remove yes but all of the above would apply, other option is... you replace it with another steering wheel that has an airbag fitted (momo make them and so do all the major brands) all though i havnt seen on for below $2000 :S as this is wat you pay to get the airbag blown, old steering wheel removed, new airbag in new steering wheel and it hooked up to all the sensors i was thinking of seriously doing this but as the old saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it
but i mean if you seriously have to just go to a shifty car place and they would do it if you dont ask for a reciept and say you did it your self...

PS. if you decided to get an astra turbo wheel fitted you would still need a new bag for it regardless :( so you would need to pay for a pop/refill

the choice is yours man

macca
29th December 2004, 06:00 PM
yer but u know its legal to drive an a car with an wheel with airbag that IS blown it just wonbt pass teh rego so i could least get the wheel untill i can afford the bag u think the colum is the same?

drewc
29th December 2004, 09:01 PM
OH MY GOD> Have you been in an accident and had head injuries? Why in the world would you tak out an airbag

01CDsedan
29th December 2004, 09:37 PM
yer but u know its legal to drive an a car with an wheel with airbag that IS blown it just wonbt pass teh rego so i could least get the wheel untill i can afford the bag u think the colum is the same?

Erm...if it won't pass rego then it's not legal...

macca
30th December 2004, 12:06 AM
i swear its fine to drive a car with a blown airbag for a certain period neway hmmm damn this is annoying bloody gsi model

Bernard Siong
30th December 2004, 12:13 AM
i think u can get rego without air bags
pplz buy damaged cars and fix them n say the RTA sez u dont need to put the airbag back in
but fark leave it bro
when u sell ur car pplz want it all there to make sure the car hasnt been in a serious car accident

Anonymous
30th December 2004, 09:13 AM
macca you can do it cut the efan air bag out :lol:

macquered
30th December 2004, 03:54 PM
What you need to do is find a mate with a really good shovel. One of those ones with a really nice wide spade on the end. Get your friend to take a nice swing, and smack you in the face. Really hard. Make sure it is nice and square, so no amount of reconstruction will make your nose nice and straight again.

If you still want to disable your airbag, repeat the above process.

Stuey
30th December 2004, 08:36 PM
:lol: at above post.

the insurance thing is a a bit of a problem but what can u do haha, i mean i guess u can get your wheel retrimmed? or do u think an astra turbo wheel would fit on? there pretty cool and have an air bag

It sounds to me like you may be a little more preoccupied with "looks" rather than safety. You can't tell me that even after all these crash tests etc that airbags do more damage than good. Yes, they do more damage when foolish people mess with them and they explode in their face. Yes, they do more damage when people incorrectly fit a baby seat in front of one. Yes, they do more damage when people sit 2 inches from the steering column or they are too tuff and macho to wear a seat belt so as to work in conjunction with a airbag as it was designed to do. Airbags should not be touched by anyone other than a trained professional. Nore should they be removed for something as stupid as looks. Yes fault codes will remain in the computer but these can be erased. If you get the urge to try it yourself....and i pray that you don't, at least take a few bits of advice....disconnect the battery, sit as far away from the steering wheel as possible, and do not hit your steering column with a hammer as it will colapse. In addition to this, if the airbags deploy by accident, you will be up for new airbag covers ($$$) if not a new dashboard (depending on model/dual airbag etc) and if your car has seatbelt pretensioners, these will need to be replaced ($$$) as they are all linked in to the same system. Just leave it in......do your body a favour. Put the modification bug on the back burner for this one.

ok you can remove yes but all of the above would apply, other option is... you replace it with another steering wheel that has an airbag fitted (momo make them and so do all the major brands) all though i havnt seen on for below $2000

I'm curious about this one....do they actually make them for aftermarket fitment? Or do they have a contract to fit them as factory equipment only...ie Momo have a contract to do Subaru's steering wheels. I would have thought the dimension of the airbag, volume etc would be critical because these would need to be suited to the cabin in whichj it was used surely??? I wouldn't have thought you could take a different manufacturers wheel and slap it on another car. Unless it was an aftermarket item made for the car?! Can anyone shed some light on this?

For the record, Corsa B's and Astra F's were marketed in Europe without Airbags. But this was not an issue with insurance because they were not modified to begin with.

macca
2nd January 2005, 07:36 PM
yer it suks ass, im just thinking like ill ring the RTA, yer i know theres this huge thing bout air bags, balh blah but at the end of the day it should be down to the owner, but coming from the uk where we dunt have this system were u can claim for injuries etc , so i guess it would be wise to keep one in, it just looks so pants. Maybe with some research and year or two some stupid astra turbo driver will write his car off and ill steal his wheel :twisted: but no one on here i hope! :)

imad4u
2nd January 2005, 09:01 PM
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

Crash impact occupant protection
Where ADR 69/00 or 72/00 applies the vehicle has been built and specially equipped to minimise the
likelihood of injury to the occupants in a full frontal or side impact. These vehicles are in general fitted
with airbags by their manufacturers.
Any modification that would affect these crashworthiness safety standards should only be made on the
advice of the vehicle's original manufacturer or an engineering signatory.