PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Full OPC line up set to heat up Australian roads in 2013

Melanie Kerin
12th December 2012, 10:27 AM
Media Release:Full Opel Performance Centre (OPC) line up set to heat up Australian roads from March 2013

• Most powerful hot hatch in its segment, Astra OPC confirmed for 2013
• Insignia OPC and Corsa OPC to complete OPC model line-up from March 2013
• Opel Performance Centre (OPC) – emotional and performance spearhead of Opel

The Opel Australia family is set to get even hotter with the confirmation of the Insignia OPC and Corsa OPC to join the Astra OPC from March 2013. Opel Australia’s Managing Director, Bill Mott said that being able to bring the three model OPC line-up to Australia has long been on the top of the wish list since Opel announced they were heading down under.

“Since we confirmed the Astra OPC at the Sydney show, dealers have reported back strong customer enquiry with many customer orders being placed already. OPC has always been on the top of our local wish list and we’re very excited to confirm that when the Astra OPC arrives in March, it will be joined by the Corsa OPC and Insignia OPC,” he said.

For over 13 years the OPC brand has been the emotional and performance halo of Opel. OPC combines the style and practicality of the Opel range while delivering an ultimate performance car. Whether it is in the Corsa, Astra or Insignia, the OPC brand is set to ignite pure passion behind the wheel.

Insignia OPC
The most powerful production vehicle Opel has ever produced, the Insignia OPC sedan is powered by Opel’s advanced 2.8-litre V6 Turbo ECOTEC engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Producing segment leading , 239kW of power and 435Nm of torque the engine uses a single, twin scroll turbocharger and variable valve control for quick throttle response.
The model will be the first Opel in Australia to come with Opel’s adaptive 4X4 technology, using a bespoke chassis developed through an extensive test programme at the gruelling Nürburgring circuit in Germany.

The HiPerStrut system is unique to the Insignia OPC and serves two primary functions to reduce torque-steer, but also to maintain negative camber during cornering, thereby improving ultimate grip levels in wet or dry conditions.

Complementing these features are standard 19-inch alloy wheels (20-inch lightweight forged alloys will be a cost option), revised bushing and damper settings on both axles, and Brembo® brakes with colour-keyed callipers and vented/cross-drilled discs.On the exterior the Sedan will carry a deeper bumper, incorporating bold, twin mesh grilles either side of the main grille, a rear spoiler and dual matt chrome exhausts.

This sporting theme continues in the Insignia OPC’s cabin. Recaro® front seats, OPC steering wheel, OPC gearknob and unique mouldings are standard, along with different instrument graphics, OPC sill plates and a black headlining.

Corsa OPC
The three-door sports hatch is powered by a 1.6-litre turbo engine paired with Opel’s six-speed manual transmission providing 141kW power and 260Nm of torque with overboost. Underneath the Corsa OPC carries a unique lowered OPC sports chassis with McPherson strut front and torsion beam rear suspension. Standard on the Corsa OPC are 17-inch, OPC-exclusive alloy wheels and like all OPC models comes with Brembo® front brakes.

The Corsa OPC carries a distinctive sporty exterior with a number of OPC exclusive elements including, heated body coloured mirrors, body kit, rear roof spoiler and a centrally mounted chrome exhaust tip.
The Corsa OPC has been awarded a five-star Euro NCAP rating. Dual front, front-side, and curtain airbags are all standard, along with Opel’s Electronic Stability Control (ESC), traction control, anti-lock braking system (ABS). The Corsa’s optional technology package including
Opel’s adaptive forward lighting package, rear park assist and daytime running lamps are also standard on the OPC model.

For the driver and front passenger, the Corsa OPC offers Recaro® performance four-way adjustable bucket seats as standard. The OPC exclusives continue inside the vehicle with OPC branded deluxe carpet floor mats in the front and rear, door sill plates and leather covered steering wheel.

Astra OPC
Powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged direct injection engine, the Astra OPC achieves a power output of up to 206 kW and maximum torque of 400 Nm. Never before has an Astra been so fast, sprinting from zero to 100km/h in just 6.0 seconds. The Astra OPC will be the most powerful hot hatch available in its segment .

The Astra OPC comes with a long list of standard features including; Opel’s FlexRide adaptive chassis system, dual front, front side and curtain airbags, premium front sports bucket seats with electrically adjustable bolsters, seat heating, a manually extendable front seat cushion and electric lumbar adjustment, Bluetooth® connectivity with voice recognition, infotainment system complete with a seven-inch colour information display, satellite navigation, iPod® connectivity, SD card reader and seven premium audio speakers.

Strong Track Record of OPC Brand

The Opel Performance Centre, responsible for the sporty accents in the Opel model line-up since 1999, is a decisive element in the Opel brand profile. It embodies a high level of emotion and passion for striking design, top-class technology and extraordinary driving dynamics. The vehicles with “OPC” in their model name are positioned as the emotional spearheads of the respective model lines.

Pricing and further specification for the Insignia OPC and Corsa OPC will be announced closer to launch. Order books for the highly-specified Astra OPC, priced from $42,990, are open in all Opel dealerships across Australia with the first of the OPC models arriving in showrooms from March 2013.

guy 27
12th December 2012, 10:27 AM
Thats great news!

sooty
12th December 2012, 10:35 AM
Awesome news, keen to see the pricing!

2002_XC
12th December 2012, 10:43 AM
Looks like Insignia is auto only :(

faneca
12th December 2012, 11:13 AM
Excellent news!! Can't wait to see these driving around

metry
12th December 2012, 11:41 AM
need a better job :(

Shadow110
12th December 2012, 11:58 AM
Opc corsa please!!!!

adam_92
12th December 2012, 12:36 PM
Opc corsa please!!!!

+1. So is it the same 1.6l turbo from the gtc?

Shadow110
12th December 2012, 12:37 PM
141kw 1.6t... I think so...
I think the one thing is that this will be priced a little high because of the "opc" branding...
Sub 30k and you got yourself one crazy hit hatch.

adam_92
12th December 2012, 12:39 PM
I think they will be really competitively priced... Just look at the astra opc pricing...

Melanie Kerin
12th December 2012, 12:42 PM
You're on the money - it is the same engine as the GTC sport but is calibrated differently

Shadow110
12th December 2012, 12:42 PM
That's right, take on vw head on!!! Polo gti price...

adam_92
12th December 2012, 01:30 PM
Melanie Kerin any word on pricing for the corsa and insignia yet?

Red AH SRI T
12th December 2012, 01:38 PM
Insignia OPC Wagon with manual PLEASE!!!!

kabel
12th December 2012, 02:11 PM
Awesome news !
Need to start planning some space.

Melanie Kerin
12th December 2012, 03:29 PM

Pricing won't be released until closer to launch.

hazrd
12th December 2012, 03:29 PM

Pricing and further specification for the Insignia OPC and Corsa OPC will be announced closer to launch

Insignia OPC Wagon with manual PLEASE!!!!

The most powerful production vehicle Opel has ever produced, the Insignia OPC sedan is powered by Opel’s advanced 2.8-litre V6 Turbo ECOTEC engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.

//bubbleburst

ChrisMaz
12th December 2012, 03:43 PM
As far as I'm aware the Insignia OPC Only comes in Manual..... Unless they are going to provide an Auto box for the face lift :S

EDIT:

Seems an Auto is available since the last time I checked the Vauxhall Configurator.

What a crock of shit! Performance variant NEEDS to have a manual box on Offer!

Vectracious
12th December 2012, 04:21 PM
Stop your whingeing! They could have brought no OPC variants at all....

CNBLU
12th December 2012, 05:29 PM
Whats wrong with an auto box? probably be quicker anyways!

kabel
12th December 2012, 07:08 PM
DSG ?
Yes.
But I still enjoy putting my foot on the clutch and moving the stick around :ihih:

poita
12th December 2012, 07:11 PM
The auto is an optional extra afaik, so they are bringing the manual as well.

I could be reading it wrong, but that's my take on it.

P2 is right though, glad they are bringing them all over.

Nurb608
12th December 2012, 07:25 PM
"While the European version was released with a choice of six-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions, only the automatic will be offered here."

From Go Auto.

Although they also called the UK version the VRX!!!

poita
12th December 2012, 07:33 PM
Should pay more attention, skim reading while at work.

I'm sure it's not that much to convert it lol

Nurb608
12th December 2012, 07:44 PM
Should pay more attention, skim reading while at work.

I'm sure it's not that much to convert it lol

lol, i was thinking that too :p

berwickopel
12th December 2012, 09:32 PM
Hey all! How good is the news Melanie broke on here? We found out at the same time as you guys! We are really excited to get the full range. Since the departure of the Volkswagen Passat R36 I have no idea who would be a competitor to the Insignia OPC? Anyone got an idea? Could this be in a league of its own?

Cheers Tony

JohnBu
12th December 2012, 11:01 PM
Volvo S60/V60

6 speed auto only, 3.0l turbo AWD European.

Direct competitor.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hoss
13th December 2012, 11:26 AM
Excellent news.

Red AH SRI T
14th December 2012, 08:51 PM

If you drive whilst you're asleep

Shaun
17th December 2012, 06:01 PM
Is the Transmission a full out or a DSG Style ? One would hope its a DSG style as most of the sports prefromance range of Manafacturers are heading down that track. None the less
this is awesome news that the full OPC range is coming to Australian 1st QTR of 2013.

kabel
17th December 2012, 06:17 PM
Is the Transmission a full out or a DSG Style ? One would hope its a DSG style as most of the sports prefromance range of Manafacturers are heading down that track. None the less
this is awesome news that the full OPC range is coming to Australian 1st QTR of 2013.
You thinking of updating yours Shaun ?

preludacris
19th December 2012, 10:16 PM
the look has grown on me. the Astra is a beast!!

Shaun
27th December 2012, 10:42 AM
You thinking of updating yours Shaun ?

Unsure at this stage. Would be nice to have a new car but also thinking of Jet ski and house atm too....... (Yep time to grow up maybe)

Hilikus
31st December 2012, 08:51 AM
time to grow up maybe

Never!

I wonder if Opel will make AWD versions of the Astra in years to come... There is only so much wizardry you can do to reduce torque steer and with 400Nm on offer...

Shaun
3rd January 2013, 12:38 PM
Never!

I wonder if Opel will make AWD versions of the Astra in years to come... There is only so much wizardry you can do to reduce torque steer and with 400Nm on offer...

Why is everyone so Hung up on torque steer. If its such a problem go to the gym and gain some mussles and grab hold of the steering wheel...

Kabel ill decide when the pricing is announced later this year. I need to how much they are 1st then decide from there. An Insignia OPC would be nice and a good step up from the HSV VXR i have now.

cyclonic
4th January 2013, 02:29 PM
I'll have a Corsa OPC in white thanks. Of course, I won't be able to afford it, but hey....

MattJelonek
4th January 2013, 11:43 PM
Opel called me to update me the arrival on the OPC. I already know the OPC will be coming to Aus in March. Not to be rude but seems dealers aren't as up to date as actual motoring/car enthusiasts but anyway, dealers are going to Syd or Melb in a few weeks to drive and check out the OPC range. Take it for training.... Launch of the OpC range will be in March but don't know prices.

Two things I'd like to know. Price on OPC Insignia Tourer as well the Fuel consumption per/100km.

I'll wait until 2014 to get one, perhaps a demo might be avail for $45-50k rather then full asking price of estimates of $60k+ as media have said.

MattJelonek
4th January 2013, 11:45 PM
Dealer also mentioned they're getting 30 OPC's in stock once they're available.. I take it a mix of the 3 models!

poita
4th January 2013, 11:47 PM
The cars are in Melbourne, and 30 is the first shipment of Astra's (at a guess)

eddysdaman
7th January 2013, 01:45 PM
I think I saw a Red OPC Astra on the road the other day with the 19s (not 20s) off Chapel St
Was going too quick to confirm/photo but definitely saw the front bar and the lack of the aero pack (additional rear wing)

Melanie Kerin
7th January 2013, 01:56 PM
I can confirm you did see a red Astra OPC ... cause I was the one driving it! The Aero pack is not standard on the car. At this stage it looks like it will be offered as an accessory post launch.

I think I saw a Red OPC Astra on the road the other day with the 19s (not 20s) off Chapel St
Was going too quick to confirm/photo but definitely saw the front bar and the lack of the aero pack (additional rear wing)

Melanie Kerin
7th January 2013, 02:00 PM
Opel called me to update me the arrival on the OPC. I already know the OPC will be coming to Aus in March. Not to be rude but seems dealers aren't as up to date as actual motoring/car enthusiasts but anyway, dealers are going to Syd or Melb in a few weeks to drive and check out the OPC range. Take it for training.... Launch of the OpC range will be in March but don't know prices.

Two things I'd like to know. Price on OPC Insignia Tourer as well the Fuel consumption per/100km.

I'll wait until 2014 to get one, perhaps a demo might be avail for $45-50k rather then full asking price of estimates of $60k+ as media have said.

Hi Matt... an update for you. Pricing for the Insignia Sedan and Corsa OPC will be released closer to the launch date. We will only be offering the Insignia Sedan. Thanks Mel

faneca
7th January 2013, 02:12 PM
The Aero pack is not standard on the car. At this stage it looks like it will be offered as an accessory post launch.
Hey Mel, do you know if the aero pack is an extra which includes the the 20" wheels or will that be another extra on top?

Melanie Kerin
7th January 2013, 02:37 PM
Hi... I can't go into too much detail yet... more news closer to launch! So far the only options confirmed are the 20" wheels @ $1000, the paint @$695 and the AFL + lighting system @ $2000

Hey Mel, do you know if the aero pack is an extra which includes the the 20" wheels or will that be another extra on top?

eddysdaman
7th January 2013, 06:34 PM
I can confirm you did see a red Astra OPC ... cause I was the one driving it! The Aero pack is not standard on the car. At this stage it looks like it will be offered as an accessory post launch.

Thanks! :) Good to know my eyes are still seeing 20/20!
Roughly when will I be able to come into a dealership and actually talk nitty gritty details? I understand dealer OPC training is soon/prior to launch?

el3ment
8th January 2013, 12:46 PM
Hi... I can't go into too much detail yet... more news closer to launch! So far the only options confirmed are the 20" wheels @ $1000, the paint @$695 and the AFL + lighting system @ $2000

Hang on... They want additional $$$ for the AFL+??? I thought it came with the OPC Astra... Or am I missing something here. That's kinda disappointing...as its standard in Germany :(
Or is this for the corsa only?

Scoobykilla
21st January 2013, 12:04 AM
Cant wait to test drive the corsa and see how it goes....

I saw quite a few in the uk at xmas wehn I went there ofr my holidays but never got chance to test drive one....

SIMid
31st January 2013, 08:32 AM
I guess the OPC Insignia doesn't come in a wagon .........

hazrd
31st January 2013, 08:41 AM
Melanie Kerin?

Melanie Kerin
31st January 2013, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=SIMid;810854]I guess the OPC Insignia doesn't come in a wagon .........[/QUOTE

As posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago....No confirmed plans Insignia OPC wagon or for manual Insignia OPC at this stage.

SIMid
31st January 2013, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=SIMid;810854]I guess the OPC Insignia doesn't come in a wagon .........[/QUOTE

As posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago....No confirmed plans Insignia OPC wagon or for manual Insignia OPC at this stage.

Thanks. I can save my money then. :lol:

el3ment
31st January 2013, 10:56 AM
Do we know yet if Opel will offer option to have a sun roof?? I want a sunroof in the new opel OPC!!! if not, can anyone recommend one from somewhere? I want it to look stock as much as possible, including the switches

MattJelonek
1st February 2013, 08:27 PM
Oh no Insignia OPC Wagon?! That's the one I was planning on purchasing!

btm
12th February 2013, 12:01 PM
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-launches-sports-models-20130212-2e9qj.html

preludacris
12th February 2013, 04:12 PM
the astra looks so hot in white!!! I'm now converted.

Even has the option of 20' rims. Opel mean business.

Hilikus
19th February 2013, 04:31 PM
Why is everyone so Hung up on torque steer.

I said torque steer but I was thinking under steer... Oops.

I'm digging the white also preludacris.

el3ment
21st February 2013, 03:14 PM
Anyone seen the new Top Gear UK yet? They review the VXR with the Ford ST and Renault... VXR came out quite well.

mickos
21st February 2013, 03:22 PM
Anyone seen the new Top Gear UK yet? They review the VXR with the Ford ST and Renault... VXR came out quite well.

Yea i have seen it, its on Season 19. Wasnt given flying reviews but did rate well as all rounder. I rate the interior on the OPC seats look sick! And with some bolt ons the thing would fly.
Clarkson and the guys are used to driving alot better cars tho and comparing to all the car they have driven mostly rwd and awd which can throw sideways

el3ment
21st February 2013, 04:21 PM
Yea i have seen it, its on Season 19. Wasnt given flying reviews but did rate well as all rounder. I rate the interior on the OPC seats look sick! And with some bolt ons the thing would fly.
Clarkson and the guys are used to driving alot better cars tho and comparing to all the car they have driven mostly rwd and awd which can throw sideways

Agreed. Nothing wrong with the top gear guys, but it seems that its more important to them to test cars on race tracks and drag strips than it is on normal road use and see what it can do. I mean really, how often do people drive on race tracks compared to open roads....

weird though that they reported that VXR to have 276HP, compared to 280 here in AUS. Are UK horses weaker? lol

hazrd
21st February 2013, 05:25 PM
Hot beer does that to you :p

adam_92
21st February 2013, 05:41 PM

Watch it you!

faneca
21st February 2013, 07:46 PM

*likes*

el3ment