PDA

View Full Version : Tyre selection

nicecar
18th December 2004, 03:58 PM
Well I have seen the 17" Stalker wheels this morning and love then so decided to purchase (don't do 18" in that fitment).

http://www.racenet.co.nz/buyers_info/wheels/advanti/stalker.jpg
Thanks for your help from last post :-Which alloys do you recommend?
http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=4340&highlight=

The guy at the tyre place has done a package, he said I can either have Regle
Falcen
or Maxis tyres
Not sure what is best? Can anyone advise?

Also he recommended 215/45/17 (as less harsh ride) but said I could have 215/40/17 at the same price.

I checked out Tyre calc (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) and the 40s have the smaller error. The wheels are 17x7 and I want the insurance to comply.
The astra turbo has 215/40/17 but the wheels are 17x7.5
What tyre size do you guys recommend?

Thanks, its great to have people who have been there before with the knowledge :)

SmellyTofu
18th December 2004, 05:34 PM
Watch the weight index on the 215/40R17... not all have the extra capacity as the Dunlop SP8000.

astra_city
18th December 2004, 06:36 PM
the weight index though shouldn't be a problem as far as insurance is concerned. The only thing my insurance company cared about was wheel width.
I'm not sure which is better out of those tyres sorry

Degen-Astra
18th December 2004, 07:07 PM
Watch the weight index on the 215/40R17... not all have the extra capacity as the Dunlop SP8000.

I am only ASSUMING that the convertible has a load index of 87. Same as the 2.2 SRi.

Now you can get a few tyres with a 87 load index in a 215/40 series tyre. One of the ones I was looking at was the Hankook Ventus Sport K104.

Take a look here for prices and tyres i was looking at...
http://www.opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=2756&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hankook&start=25

SmellyTofu
19th December 2004, 10:36 AM
the weight index though shouldn't be a problem as far as insurance is concerned. The only thing my insurance company cared about was wheel width.
I'm not sure which is better out of those tyres sorry

Hope u've got that in writing.

Yes u can get a few tyres with the extra load rating. If you can, then it's fine but there isn't a lot of choice out there in the market.

OzzySRi
19th December 2004, 12:33 PM
Hankook K104s. excellent bang for bucks tyre. had mine now for about 5000k and are bedding in nicely. my previous tyre was the falken ze512. no contest. the hankooks r in a totally different league.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

nicecar
19th December 2004, 04:22 PM
Yep, may try somewhere else as not too happy with the tyres they are offering me. Want the tyres to last some time as do 20,000Km per year. The factory Michellin Pilot HX are amazing, after 45K, no signs of wear (all freeway driving)

Thanks Degen-Astra & OzzySri, will check out those Hankook K104s. Will get a quote tomorrow for the wheels + those tyres at different dealer.

Hey, something I can understand -

The Astra turbo wheels are 17 x 7.5 with 215/40/17 tyres, so how can 215/40/17 tyres can also fit on 17 x 7 wheels?????? :?

Surely, the wheels are 0.5 difference in width, so how can the tyres fit :? :? :?

NUTTTR
19th December 2004, 04:37 PM
Nicecar:
They simply buldge out more... 215/40/17's "just" fit a 7.5" rim in my book as you usually find the bead sitting out a little...
However 225/235 is a good fit for 7.5-8 :)
the 0.5" difference is nothing, the tyres (being rubber) will not sit out as far!
Aaron
P.S. If you have an accident and insurance finds out it's because the tyres you had didn't stand up to the load you had (i.e. lower than specced tyres) they can and probably will void your insurance... Tyre load ratings is very important for obvious reasons and the manufacturers usually have these for specific reasons, not for fun!

astra_city
19th December 2004, 06:20 PM
l Hope u've got that in writing.

Well my dad rang up the insurance and asked them and they said it is not a problem, only that the wheel width can not be wider than 7.5 inch on the City model. Fair enough different insurance companies will have different policies, but I wouldn't make it up...

nicecar
19th December 2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks NUTTTR for the info about the tyres. Appreciated :D

Yes, I agree with you. The weight rating is very important, some of the tyre dealers annoy me as they say 'should be ok'.... :bang: There are some good ones out there who do mention load rating and illegal over upsizing when talking about new wheels/tyres