PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

MAD-16V
25th November 2012, 10:30 AM
About 2 months ago I had some new ( cheap ) tyres and wheels fitted to the Astra, Only recently have I driven it at 100km/h due to living in the inner city.

The car has a severe wobble through the steering wheel at this speed, I thought I would drop the car back in on Monday and ask for a balance.

But yesterday when I was washing and detailing it, I noticed that the front wheels have actually been fitted on shims/spacers - It appears that the rear diameter of the wheels hub is too large and this was rubbing the back of the caliper assembly.

I did not agree to this and was not even told about this, I am pretty sure it's illegal to run any type of spacer in NSW.

I intend to go back tomorrow and ask for a solution, But I wanted to know what my rights were before hand.

Is this indeed illegal? - Will they be required by law to offer me some sort of fix / resolution?

Any advice would be great.

guy 27
25th November 2012, 10:39 AM
They should not of fitted them without your consent first as it is a safety item which is not adr approved.

Wobble will most likely be due to needing hub rings to centre the wheels.

hazrd
25th November 2012, 10:41 AM
+1 to what guy said. Definitely get that sorted.

adam_92
25th November 2012, 10:42 AM
Have they only just been fitted recently?
Are you sure they aren't spiggot rings/hub centric adaptors which are used when the bore of the aftermarket wheel is bigger than the diameter of the hub on the car. They are used to support the wheel on the hub as the studs aren't suppost to be used to support the wheel and cars weight.

Pictures might help.

MAD-16V
25th November 2012, 10:46 AM
Pretty sure it's just a cheaply cut shim.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/nmko4j.jpg

guy 27
25th November 2012, 11:05 AM
def a spacer. argue with them over it. its not road legal there for they shouldn't of fitted it.

You should come out with another set of wheels that fit correctly.

lonewolf1983
25th November 2012, 11:46 AM
agreed, dodgy

MAD-16V
26th November 2012, 12:31 PM
All sorted, Just had to machine a small lip away from the back of the wheel.