PDA

View Full Version : Astra H Turbo conversion?

wadeio
22nd November 2012, 06:23 PM
Hey Everyone,
New here, just a question, is it worth the money to convert my ah z18xe to turbo? I was looking at this http://www.dbilas-shop.com/Products/Turbo-charger-systems/Retrofit-turbo-Kit/Turbocharger-system-Maxi-Edition/Opel-Vauxhall/Tigra/Tigra-B/Turbocharger-system-Maxi-Edition-Opel-Astra-G-H-Corsa-C-Signum-Tigra-B-Meriva-A-Vectra-B-C-Zafira-A-Z18XE::6601.html

Is this the best power to $$$ option?

dutchy
22nd November 2012, 10:01 PM
you'll be looking at 5500 to 6000 dollars excluding shipping (including import duties) and excluding installation. So all up you could be in for 7 to 7.5 grand or so by the looks of it. Trade the car in a buy a sri-t.

guy 27
22nd November 2012, 10:02 PM
rade the car in a buy a sri-t.

yep, best bang for buck.

don't forget you can't just up the engine power. you will also need to upgrade brakes and suspension.

lonewolf1983
23rd November 2012, 12:29 AM
and once you've done it the car is worth less than an sri-t too.

gmonkey
23rd November 2012, 01:15 AM
and once you've done it the car is worth less than an sri-t too.

and not as reliable, and probs cost more to run aswell while being slower than a sri-t

Wraith
23rd November 2012, 12:57 PM
This has come up in so many threads - for what it's worth if you want a turbo equipped vehicle, buy a turbo equipped vehicle ie. OEM old or new !

Look at the $$$ equation for everything involved not just the build...

Consider that the project you want to undertake will yield a vehicle that will almost probably be un-insurable, have reliabilty issues and almost definitely very poor resale value and that's if anyone will want to touch it in the first place...

If it's something you are considering as a long term project /off road car different story...

Wraith
23rd November 2012, 12:58 PM
This has come up in so many threads - for what it's worth if you want a turbo equipped vehicle, buy a turbo equipped vehicle ie. OEM old or new !

Look at the $$$ equation for everything involved not just the build...

Consider that the project you want to undertake will yield a vehicle that will almost probably be un-insurable, have reliabilty issues and almost definitely very poor resale value and that's if anyone will want to touch it in the first place...

If it's something you are considering as a long term project /off road car different story...

J
23rd November 2012, 01:56 PM
+1,000

Hate to say it, wadeio, but it is the inconvenient truth. Generally, mechanical modifications are only worthwhile when they are done properly, and are appreciated by and/or useful to the owner (and future owners). And modifications that are done right the first time, cost $$$. Yes, you will end up having something quite unique. But you also have to consider the cons, some of which are listed above...

Incidentally, my changing circumstances mean I will have to let go of my much beloved SRi-T some time within the next few months, so keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section of the forum :)

Shadow110
23rd November 2012, 02:24 PM
It is true...
Even myself was looking at s/c the 2.2, while it has been done before in the uk... Doing it here is a hassle...
I would say enjoy it, save your hard earned cash and go for a turbo, or even the 2.2, which is still plenty of fun...
If you want to spend anything on it, have it handle like a go-cart... And stop like you wants to tear your face off... :-)

wadeio
23rd November 2012, 07:09 PM
I think I've blown the 1.8 anyway :/it pretty much won't move and I've got fault codes 034008 &
011513 :/