PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Adelaide

Brando47
22nd November 2012, 02:43 AM
Hi I'm Brando, just got a good deal on a 5 door '03 TS Astra City a month or so ago and its been a good ride so far :) Technically my second astra, although the last one was from '87 and made by the japs. To be honest I don't know a lot about opel, always been a holden man, but I can appreciate some good german engineering :) Hope I'm not going to get shot down too much for appreciating the lion badge haha.

Been scrolling the forums the last couple weeks and checking out some of the other rides on here, getting me real keen to do some stuff to mine :) Have heaps of questions, thought I might mention some of them here and if I don't get much of a response I'll make a thread where its a bit more appropriate. Got a pic below I snapped on my phone (she's looking pretty dirty from the neighbours tree raining hell on it), not too sure how I'm feeling about the dark green paint at the moment, be good to see if anyone has done something with it.

First off, not sure if its just an astra thing, but she seems pretty slow returning to idle when you back off the accelerator, sometimes even see the revs go up a bit after you put your foot on the clutch. Lot worse with the air con running too. Cleaned the throttle body and that helped a bit, and I've derestricted the air box which helped a lot, almost normal to drive now with the air con off. Be good to know if anyone else has had any trouble though.

Only other mod is transferring the sound system from my old astra, running an alpine 12" type r sub, and fitted a new alpine head unit, sounding good :) Managed to pull the rubber grommet that the bonnet release cable runs through out of the firewall and couldn't get it back in, have to address that one soon, other than that it was a pretty smooth process.

At the moment I'm looking at some new headlights, rather than mucking around cleaning up the yellowy discoloured ones that are on there. The angel eyes look good, was wondering if there's much difference between the $200 or $400 sets on ebay though? Seems to be a large price range between them. Also keen for a nice set of rims, but that's just me day dreaming at this stage, bit hard making the cash as a uni student delivering pizzas on the weekend haha. Probably focus on cleaning up a few little bits in and around the car before anything. If someone could point me in the direction of fixing the peeling paint off the lion badge on the steering wheel that'd be great, seems like it might be part of the air bag after searching here a bit but some say you can lever it out, so I'm not sure. Needs a new ashtray in the centre dash as its stuck open, and there's a small dent on one side I should be able to push out. Few light scratches around the door handles to buff out and it should be looking pretty clean. If anyone from Adelaide knows how often they pop up in upullit I'd be very keen to hear, bit of that sort of stuff is what its perfect for, and I wouldn't mind seeing if I can score a bit of stuff out of the better models and vectras; like electric windows, cruise control, air intake, etc.

Also I'd be keen to know if there's many cruises that go down for the SA mob? I've been out for a hills bash a couple times already and have been loving it, be nice to see some of the great cars on the forums from around adelaide up close and personal. Would like to give a thanks for all the work gone into the guides and the like made easily available through the forum, that have helped me a lot already :)

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae331/Brando47/IMG_20121024_183555.jpg

faneca
22nd November 2012, 06:40 AM
Welcome to OA!

Hey brando! I'm Aaron, you will find me cruising around Grange. Where abouts are you in Adelaide? On the cruise front your in luck, we have eurofest coming up next Sunday if your keen to come along to that? All details for it are in the cruise section.

Upullit have astras in occasionally but usually by the time you notice they are there they are parted out and scrapped. Just as easy to source all bits and bobs from a scrappy. I use black diamond in royal park recently iv been there a couple times a week haha
As for the the steering wheel badge, buy an Opel one, cut of the Holden lion using a Stanley knife and super glue the new badge to a folder cover (like you would use for uni) then glue it on with a super glue.

Again welcome along, and will be good to see you out in a couple of weeks if you can!

CORZZA
22nd November 2012, 06:47 AM
Welcome the othe forums Brando.

You have yourself a good base car to start the modding process. If you browse through the members ride section you can get an understanding of what can be done to transform your ride

Nurb608
22nd November 2012, 06:47 AM
Welcome to the site mate

Shadow110
22nd November 2012, 08:35 AM
Welcome!

jamie84
22nd November 2012, 09:49 AM
welcome to OA

guy 27
22nd November 2012, 10:22 AM
Welcome to oa

adam_92
22nd November 2012, 12:52 PM
Welcome to opelaus. Good to see another Adelaide member. Check out the cruise thread. We have one on the 2nd of December to the birdwood motor museum for eurofest!

Brando47
23rd November 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm down south near marion, park holme specifically. Get around a fair bit though, the missus is up in pt adelaide. I sussed out all 3 upullits this week and found a couple of stripped vectras and that was it haha, gonna have to start going to the scrappys. Cheers for directing me to that one faneca, might see if I can source a new intake and maybe get that throttle working properly. I'll invest in a new filter too when I can actually find somewhere with a good K&N one in stock. Still iffy about getting rid of that good holden badge but I'm probably kidding myself a bit haha.

I'm actually from the country and I'm going back home for the uni break that sunday unfortunately, very bad timing. Certainly keen for anything in the future, I'll keep an eye on the cruise thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to getting my hands dirty on the new beast :)

btm
23rd November 2012, 01:21 PM
howdy and welcome to the site!

faneca
23rd November 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm down south near marion, park holme specifically. Get around a fair bit though, the missus is up in pt adelaide. I sussed out all 3 upullits this week and found a couple of stripped vectras and that was it haha, gonna have to start going to the scrappys. Cheers for directing me to that one faneca, might see if I can source a new intake and maybe get that throttle working properly. I'll invest in a new filter too when I can actually find somewhere with a good K&N one in stock. Still iffy about getting rid of that good holden badge but I'm probably kidding myself a bit haha.

I'm actually from the country and I'm going back home for the uni break that sunday unfortunately, very bad timing. Certainly keen for anything in the future, I'll keep an eye on the cruise thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to getting my hands dirty on the new beast :)
Yeah upullits can be unreliable at times, adam an I went up to the Elizabeth one once as it listed a recent ts astra but it wasn't there when we arrived. Was only a mo.th or so after it was listed.

Ahhh that sucks about the cruise mate! I'm thinking of organising a cruise to victor next year if your interested in that I will make the thread after eurofest.

adam_92
23rd November 2012, 02:46 PM
Just not Sunday 6th January haha.

faneca
23rd November 2012, 02:53 PM
Just not Sunday 6th January haha.

I'm not aware of anything important on that day hahah ;) might give you a week for recovery then too haha

adam_92
23rd November 2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah iv took a week annual leave. Works out to be 9 days with my weekends off.

faneca
23rd November 2012, 03:00 PM
I see! Well that's not a bad break at all..
Brando47 let me know when your expecting to be back and I will start trying to arrange the cruise so you can definitely make it.

Brando47
23rd November 2012, 04:53 PM
Don't plan around me too much, holidays are looking to be a bit of a shambles for me haha, gonna be all over the place. I gotta be back around the 11th for an appointment but there's a fair chance I won't have my car, other than that I'll be over late January probably for the missus' birthday, not sure if I'll stick around then until uni or not.
Got my little sis in town next week actually, she's over taking photos of animals or something for her research project and she wanted to do a trip to Granite Island which is down near Victor I think. Certainly be a nice drive

chris_r
23rd November 2012, 09:24 PM
Hi and welcome, I'm from Semaphore Park and usually all over the joint (I work as a courier). Technically, your first Astra was part Opel. The N13 Pulsar/LB&LD Astra was assembled here under one of those agreements that saw Commodores badged as Toyotas, Corollas as the Holden Nova and saw the Nissan RB30 in a VL Commodore. The engine they used in locally assembled Pulsar/Astras of the time was indeed either a 16LF or 18LE, both of which were GM Family II engines, designed by Opel.

You mention the Z18XE throttle being slow to decelerate to idle. Improvements like cleaning the throttle and cold air intakes will help slightly with response, but it turns out that it's something with how the ECUs are programmed and the drive by wire throttle system they use. Apparently this can be improved a lot with the flashing of an EDS IPF map to ECU. Believe me, I am no stranger when it comes to this engine, as I've wasted a lot of my time on them as you might find out if you read the thread on my Corsa.

From the country and living in the city, hey? Kinda like me, I was originally from Hamley Bridge and lived in Balaklava for a number of years. Glad that I live in the city these days, as I'm just sick of a lot of the BS that people talk in small towns like that.

Brando47
23rd November 2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reply chris :)
Well there you go, should have signed up here ages ago haha. You know your cars well. I had the 18LE in my LD Astra, so there you go, I was an Opel man before I even knew it.

Thanks a tonne for the tip on the throttle, remapping the ECU is quite expensive is it not? Do you know much about what that would involve? My apologies for being naive, I don't know much about newer cars and all the electronics. Certainly interested to learn though. My car picked up a few fault codes when I got it RAA checked after buying it, two for the immobiliser system and one for the ECU I think, something along those lines. Would this have anything to do with it? Thanks again, bit of a pain driving with the AC, especially coming into summer. Feel like a granny taking off at the lights, waiting for the revs to die down to change gears each time haha.

A fellow country/city goer, that's what I like to see :) It's good getting the best of both worlds I reckon. You're right about the BS that goes on though haha, I know what you mean. City life definitely suits me a lot more as well, think I'm a bit new-age for that mob. I miss the sense of community perhaps more than anything, starting to feel it from the forums here though haha