PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a scratch ....

a_manda
17th December 2004, 02:06 PM
Hey Guyz & Girlz,

When i got back from Melbourne some nice a$$hole left a welcome back present on my car, a long 30cm scratch :evil: :evil: :evil:

The panel isn't dented, the paint has pretty much just lifted off (see picture below). Does anyone know any places that fix this kind of thing for a reasonable price, or suggest somewhere to go ? (In Sydney) Someone told me i could just buff it out, but if anyone knows of anywhere i'd love to know :)

Thanks for your help ;)

manda :P

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/8519/p10100010gq.jpg

Anonymous
17th December 2004, 02:08 PM
huh? ur car is silver, i thought it was blue :?

Mr T
17th December 2004, 03:27 PM
how deep is the scratch?

From the pic, it looks like it is just the clear coat in which case yes you can buff it out but with plenty of polish. If it has cut away the paint you will have to rub it back and have it sprayed.

Talk to me tonight I can send you to a good place in girraween, they do heaps of work for me with the Golf Cars, they will do a good price if I talk to him.

BTW sorry to see that this has happened to you. :( :(

a_manda
17th December 2004, 05:59 PM
how deep is the scratch?

hey glenn thanks for that, it's not a deep scratch, i'm not sure what u mean by "cut away the paint" .. i guess you could say it has, i don't know bout buffing it out :?

speak to ya tonight !

Degen-Astra
17th December 2004, 06:52 PM
Looks to deep to fully buff out. I reckon you could round it off to lessen the appearance of it. But not fully buff it out.

Hope you get it sorted.

Nem
17th December 2004, 07:07 PM
Sap and scratches!?? Thats enough for me to justify a trip to the care detailers for professional cleaning. Last time I got my Astra done it only cost me $120 and he put three coats of Meguire's on the roof after I tried to hastily remove some sap myself. Came up a treat!

Ben

ultim8DTM5
17th December 2004, 07:11 PM
how deep is the scratch?

hey glenn thanks for that, it's not a deep scratch, i'm not sure what u mean by "cut away the paint" .. i guess you could say it has, i don't know bout buffing it out :?

speak to ya tonight !

"Cut away the paint" means its down to the metal underneath.

a_manda
18th December 2004, 11:12 AM
I reckon you could round it off to lessen the appearance of it. But not fully buff it out.

I'm not sure what round it off means ??

Yeh i think too much paint is scraped away to just buff it out!!

Thanks for all your help everyone :!: :!: :!:

Marty
19th December 2004, 02:09 AM
If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, i.e. your finger nail catches on the scratch, then it is to deep to polish out as the scratch has gone through the top clear coat of paint.

You can buff the scratch and round off the edges of the scratch so it is less noticable otherwise you are looking at getting the whole panel resprayed.

Anonymous
19th December 2004, 11:24 AM
i got a mate who could fix it for you, but this guy does bmw's and ferrari's so it aint cheap, sorry hun talk to glen he and i would say you would need to get the pros to either respray or something, "eh not so bad a little bit a sticky tape with some spray paint on it and you have no problem" :lol:

no1joey
19th December 2004, 11:24 AM
yep. run ur finger over the scratch, if u can feel the gap in between the scratch it needs to sprayed.

a cut and polish such as meguirs scratch x only lessens the deepness of the scratch, TEMPORARILY !, the meguirs products do fade over time and the scratch will look as it did the day it happened.

so sorry to hear about that, i little dent happened to my vectra on friday while getting it washed at crystal car wash in kingsford, im sure it was them :evil: , i nearly cried lol.

a_manda
19th December 2004, 02:19 PM
otherwise you are looking at getting the whole panel resprayed.

:cry: :cry: :cry: this panel was only just fixed recently from someone reversing into me :roll:

glenn gave me a contact, will give them a call on Monday, i wish my car was white s i could just use liquid paper :P :wink: :lol:

Mr T
19th December 2004, 10:48 PM
i'm not sure what u mean by "cut away the paint"

I'm not sure what round it off means ??

Are you sure it was your car? :wink:

Just kidding, give robert a call, tell him I sent you, he does a good job and is very helpful.

:D

Anonymous
20th December 2004, 12:16 AM
From What I can gather from the Pic. You could Wet & Dry Sandpaper it out a bit with 1200 to 2000 grit Paper to level the Scratch then Polish it out with a Fine Cutter. Be I'd have to see it to give a Proper Educated Opinion :)

a_manda
20th December 2004, 01:06 AM
From What I can gather from the Pic. You could Wet & Dry Sandpaper it out a bit with 1200 to 2000 grit Paper to level the Scratch then Polish it out with a Fine Cutter.

:shock: :shock: :shock: speak english, ur speakin to a woman here !!

Marty
20th December 2004, 04:02 AM
Unless you know what you are doing I would suggest that you do not wet sand the scratch.

It is too easy to sand through the clear coat. :shock:

But if the panel is going to be resprayed than you can try it and see how you go.

Anonymous
20th December 2004, 07:00 AM
Sorry 'manda :oops:
I'll have a go at fixing it next week when I'm up there, Unless ya fix it before then :)

astro
20th December 2004, 08:24 PM
Show my brother the scratch, Amanda he may be able to fix it for you :roll:

no1joey
20th December 2004, 08:35 PM
gees i wish i got this much help with my posts..... :wink: