PDA

View Full Version : Astra Sport with Euro Plates

ozgroover
13th November 2012, 07:16 PM
Hi All

So I ordered some personalised Euro plates for my new Astra Sport and finally went to the dealer today to get them fitted (along with my sill plates and OPC peddles) and we came across an interesting issue.

I opted for the full size Euro plates (because I love them) but there is an issue with the front one and the front parking sensors - the plate sets them off. The dealer mounted the plate on the plinth so the plate isn't bent to mould to the bumper.

Does anyone out there have full size Euro plates and have found a solution to this problem? The dealer is looking for me too.

So far the solutions are:

Remove the plinth and screw the plate directly into the bumper but we don't know if this will solve the issue and I'll then have holes in my bumper
Get a slimline euro plate but god knows how much VicRoads will charge me for this (can't see on the website). Given I've already spent $695 I don't really want to spend more.

Any ideas, pointers or solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Michael.

dutchy
13th November 2012, 07:53 PM
cant you ask them to change those plates into the slim ones because it interferes with the safety features on the vehicle which make it unsafe to operate ? That probably wouldnt cost you

ozgroover
14th November 2012, 03:41 PM
That probably wouldnt cost you

I've spoken to VicRoads - unfortunately it is going to cost $128, but I figure that's the better solution. My dealer has spoken to others and the only solution that works with the larger plate is to screw it directly into the bumper. Not ideal as I'd rather not have holes (I'd need to fix when selling the car) in the bumper. New Slim Euro plate is on it's way.

The irony with this is that it's a European car!!!

dutchy
14th November 2012, 05:49 PM
Hihi, all sorted then. These might be called Euro plates but look nothing like the plates in most parts of Europe. They do loook a bit like the ones they have in Germany but only the colour. Size isn't the same.

berwickopel
15th November 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi ozgroover,

The Victorian Euro Plates will fit exactly to the space at the front if you dont use the front bracket. Opel is the only European Brand (that i am aware of) that uses these and believe it or not it is only used in Australia. In Europe its screwed straight into the bumper. We screw all our demos and new cars straight into the bumper as it does look genuinely better and you wont see the holes because your number plate is fitted to the holes.

I hope this helps. I know its not the solution your probably after but thats just a little view as I have worked for a few european manufactuers.

Cheers,

Tony