PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - Who's upgraded?

poita
28th October 2012, 01:14 PM
So with the release of Windows 8 who's upgraded to it?

Initial thoughts?

What sort of specs are you running it on?

Just want to hear peoples thoughts as I'm due for a new computer and wondering if I should go Win8 or keep my Win7

chrissn89
28th October 2012, 01:22 PM
I but it on my new Samsung i5 4g ram laptop.

First off it was very different but after and hour and Googling the short cuts combos i actually like and will also install it on my desktop. It runs very smooth and quickly once your on the desktop its basically win7 without the conventional start menu. I have seen a few programs which can mimic a start menu and make the computer boot straight to desktop.

Overall i think its worth upgrading but im just a home user and mainly use it only for internet.

eddysdaman
28th October 2012, 01:49 PM
I bit the bullet and took advantage of the $40 upgrade with free Media Centre add on.

It's running on AMD PII 1090T (3.2-6 x6) with 8gb 1600mhz, an ATi 7870oc and an Agility 3 120gb ssd with 2 x 750gb for Data and a 2TB for backup.
PC gets a 6.9 on windows system rating (which is now out of 9.9??? used to get 7.6 out of 7.9 in windows 7)

Smooth & Quick? Yes, very, though noticing some strange driver issues with GPU.
Will it take getting used to? Yes, new keyboard combos, new interfaces for things like task manager, lack of traditional start menu - the inbuilt multi screen support though is a MUCH needed upgrade.
It's still windows at it's core and all the tech-know-hows are still there, just might have to be accessed differently.
One thing that annoyed me is that it took me about 5 minutes of looking until I realised how to shutdown/restart PC. They don't make it particularly pronounced, maybe this is their way of saying you don't need to off/on it as much as your more traditional pcs?

At first I was thinking 'Oh god what have I done' but I'm now of the 'meh' its just much the muchness now. I'm almost starting to like the metro start menu for its apps like the social feeds etc.

dglewis80
28th October 2012, 01:52 PM
I have it on my Asus EP121 slate and I love it.

I'm going to put it on Rach's laptop tonight to see what it is like without a touch screen.

Dinjo
28th October 2012, 01:53 PM
I had one of the testing versions on my Alienware laptop (i7, 8gb RAM) and hated it. Although it's incredibly fast, it just isn't as free flowing to open applications and use items as, for example, Windows 7.

It'd be a great OS for a tablet but it's useless on a laptop without a touch screen.

gravy258
28th October 2012, 03:28 PM
i have it on my old Dell XPS1530, the apps in the start menu take longer to launch than within Firefox.
The Laptop boots up amazingly quick.
Looks like an attempt to lock users into microsoft for all devices.
Otherwise business as usual

MAD-16V
28th October 2012, 03:30 PM
Been running the Developer Preview for a few months on my Vaio - i3 / SSD / 8GB ram - Only thing I like about it is how fast it boots.

Sticking with Windows 7 on my main pc / gaming system.

dglewis80
28th October 2012, 03:49 PM
I would take the following with a grain of salt as I don't believe much of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of the staff at my local electronics store....

I asked why it was so cheap compared to windows 7 the response was that it was a introductory offer and that after about 1 month it will go up to windows 7 pricing.

Ice
28th October 2012, 09:00 PM
as with everything, never buy the first Gen...Stick with Win 7 Pete

poita
3rd November 2012, 10:21 AM
So the $58 price point is for a limited time, it will go up to $349 on Jan 1st.

So who's in for a group buy of 50 or so copies? :lol:

eddysdaman
3rd November 2012, 01:09 PM
Why not just upgrade?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

$40 and if you do it soon you also get the add-on for Media Centre for free

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/feature-packs

Vectracious
3rd November 2012, 01:50 PM
Really considering upgrading for 40 bucks on my laptop at least, just dunno whether the back office stuff at work will work with windows 8.

balker
3rd November 2012, 04:40 PM
Got a copy of Pro last night for $15 (thanks oz bargain). Installed it as a virtual OS.... Spent a few hours using it... I'll be sticking with win 7...is was to focused on tablet use, i hated that alot of the visuals are so large. I have a huge monitor and it just seemed dumb. The start menu i could get use to, but multi tasking is a nightmare!!!!

I would be so pissed off if i have paid $50.

chris_r
3rd November 2012, 11:14 PM
On the laptop I've used for about 5 years now, it came with Vista, immediately upgraded to XP (Yes, in this case it's considered an improvement) and switched to 7 when it came out. My desktop has 7 on it too. Yet, from what I've heard about running Win8, I'll most likely be holding off on upgrading anytime soon.

I'll probably run it a VM for a bit before I do much else with Win8. Given that I don't even really use my PC's for gaming much these days, I've even considered going to Linux.

dglewis80
4th November 2012, 07:30 AM
I must be the odd one out, I like it. It is awesome on my slate, but saying that I was a bit hesitant putting it on the laptop, but after a week and learning what to do with the mouse instead of the touch screen I have now decided to put it on my main PC

balker
4th November 2012, 10:54 AM
Interesting read:
https://www.google.com/producer/editions/CAow6Y8B/maximum_pc/CAIiEDGxjHBEyYCLR-5Gg5E5H5oqFAgEKg0IACoGCAow6Y8BMNAeMJlO/windows_8_sp1_what_we_hope_to_se

gowsa
4th November 2012, 12:52 PM
Been using the preview version now for a few months.I like that its different but at the moment there is some driver conflict issues and browser issues but its quick: I7 2600K.3.4GHZ.More suited for touch screen and tablet but made to work on pc,well that's how it seems

chris_r
5th November 2012, 08:11 PM
Just tried Win8 in a VM. Gotta say, I'm not impressed with this turd they've produced on the PC at least. I can see where it'd work perfectly with a touchscreen device, but just not for a regular PC.

Vectracious
5th November 2012, 08:23 PM
Well our IT people said they would not be doing any testing with win 8. Their products are not stable and will skip over this generation (as they did with vista) because win 7 will have full product support until at least 2020.

So sticking with 7 .

balker
6th November 2012, 12:49 AM
I want to like it! , but they it so hard ! Let me spend a bit more time in the VM....

Vectracious
6th November 2012, 01:36 AM
I would upgrade if I didn't need to have my laptop run stuff I need for work, but it would cause too much hassle, plus the IT company would just use the excuse that I'm running a non approved os and would blame that if absolutely anything went wrong.

Ice
6th November 2012, 10:13 PM
I would upgrade if I didn't need to have my laptop run stuff I need for work, but it would cause too much hassle, plus the IT company would just use the excuse that I'm running a non approved os and would blame that if absolutely anything went wrong.

Frustrating much! we get that all the time at work....grrrr

Vectracious
6th November 2012, 11:07 PM
Frustrating much! we get that all the time at work....grrrr

I know where they are coming from but these guys tend to blame everything on that, and unless I also buy the hardware from them (after they put their 30% markup on it) they blame that too...

JohnBu
7th November 2012, 03:38 PM
Based on Windows history of releasing crap, good, crap, good, crap, good OS, this one is due to be crap.. lol

I'll wait for the next one.

To be honest, I'm still using WinXP.. does everything I need and want, though I'm thinking of upgrading to Win7.

I don't think the software we use at work will work with 8 just yet.. they seem to take a year or so to get it right.

kts350
11th November 2012, 09:38 PM
Based on Windows history of releasing crap, good, crap, good, crap, good OS, this one is due to be crap.. lol

To be honest, I'm still using WinXP.. does everything I need and want, though I'm thinking of upgrading to Win7.

I don't think the software we use at work will work with 8 just yet.. they seem to take a year or so to get it right.
I'm still running XP as well amd thought about upgrading to 8 but might just go win 7 instead.

poita
11th November 2012, 09:42 PM
Bought a copy of windows 8 during the week.

Going to throw it on my touchscreen jukebox and see how it goes.

Will image the hdd beforehand so it's easy to go back if I dont like it

benzino
12th November 2012, 01:39 PM

I'm in the same boat as you John, I'm following the windows rule and hoping win9 is a winner! hahaha
I'll probably be ready to upgrade hardware by then anyway