PDA

View Full Version : 02 SRI - 6 Coil Packs

z22se
27th October 2012, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I own a 12/02 Astra SRI 2.2lt Z22se and I was wondering if anyone else has been through as many coils packs as I have, and if they found a solution?

Each coil pack when it has failed has givena different running fault.

The coil packs only fail after reaching operating temperature sitting for greater than ~1hr. It has always been running fine when I switch it off, but go to restart it and wammo, burnt another coil pack.

I am grasping at straws at the moment but it seems to only be happening when I use the central locking, like it powers up the coil when the car is sitting?

I am about to try another ECU but have been told it needs programming. Is that just the key and immobiliser numbers? Has anyone used these http://www.codecard.lt/small-soft/opel-vin-decoder/prod_605.html and merely entered in their old codes into the new ECU?

Thanks in advance anyone who can help.

DWS 92
27th October 2012, 09:44 AM
Have you been using genuine or aftermarket coil packs? @guy27 should be able to shed some light.

The 2nd Womble
27th October 2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah I bought aftermarket 6 months ago and I'm sure it's on the way out as well.
Go genuine, I will be. The original pack lasted 12 years!

guy 27
27th October 2012, 10:15 AM
Check your voltages coming to the coil pack. Sounds like your getting a power spike or bad earth.

z22se
27th October 2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your replies.

The first one obviously was genuine, got approx 120k out of it. Next one was from the UK (aftermarket or no badge), the next 2 from Sprint Auto (aftermarket), the next was second hand genuine from motor wreckers, and the one that is in at present is replacement from motor wreckers looks aftermarket as it has no GM sticker.

Very frustrating indeed. I thought about the spike also occuring at the time of switching ignition on but I thought these would have battery voltage anyway. Does anyone a wiring diagram for these?

I am kind of reluctant to replace the ECU for $1000 but am stuck for possible other causes. Car has been well looked after sheded etc.

guy 27
27th October 2012, 11:19 AM
Theres a wiring diagram for the coilpack on z22se.co.uk somewhere.

I doubt it would be the ecu but it is a possibility and would be the last thing i would replace. easiest way to replace would be get a 2nd hand one and you will also need the transponder module around the ignition barrel and the key chip.
Def try another genuine coilpack as the aftermarket ones seem to give everyone issues.

you are using genuine gm branded spark plugs as well?

poita
27th October 2012, 11:27 AM
Genuine all the way for coil packs.

Have not heard a good thing about the aftermarket ones.

z22se
27th October 2012, 11:59 AM
May have affect 2 of the coils possibly when I used iridium plugs for a stint when the genuine plugs were $25 each. Now the genuine plugs with the 3 X earth electrodes, range from $3 - 5 each so the last 2 coil packs have had genuine plugs. This current coil pack has had new plugs installed approx 1 week prior to fitting it.

Now I don't know how critical it is to replace the plugs precisely when a new coil pack is installed? I cant really see how 1 weeks use of plugs could blow a coil up, but who knows with the troubles I have had. It was interesting to see the code P0340 dissappear when I did fit the new plugs though?

Genuine coild packs for mine from the dealer is $700, aftermarket is $380.

Would would help maybe is if I found a guru who wants to pull apart one of my coil packes and see what has actually happened to determine what might be causing it.

I now carry a spare coil pack around with me, one that only misfires on acceleration.

poita
27th October 2012, 12:06 PM
Although it is different to my Corsa I was quoted from Autovaux £121 (about $185 AUD) landed for a new genuine coil pack.

Much much cheaper than sourced locally.

There postage is very quick also.

z22se
27th October 2012, 12:43 PM
Like this (http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/buy-online/shop-by-category/parts/coil-pack/ignition-module-2-2-16v-z22se/prod_400.html)?

Posted to Australia? Can you tell me your source?

poita
27th October 2012, 12:45 PM
Autovaux

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?34173-Autovaux-Contact-Details

z22se
27th October 2012, 03:06 PM
Terrific thanks. Can't see Z22SE under the models listed > ignition/coil packs but have emailed them anyway.

poita
27th October 2012, 03:10 PM
Yer they don't list everything on the site.

An email of phone call is the best bet.

MAD-16V
27th October 2012, 11:00 PM
+1 for Genuine Coil Packs - Had trouble with an Aftermarket one myself - Had a genuine in the car for 5+ years now and no problems.

z22se
4th November 2012, 01:44 PM
FYI its now 8 days on the latest coil pack wooooohoooo! Got another 8 days before it sh!ts again.

Have been trying some odball things, but related to try and fault find.

- Make sure my phone charger or any device is not plugged into cigarette lighter when I switch off.
- Swapped to my spare key to rule out powering up the coil pack every time I lock the car.
- Not using the central locking know where near enough as I used to to rule it out.

On another note the car has been pinging a bit more at lows rpm along with slight missfire so I have switched to 1 step higher octane 95, and it runs smooth as and pings gone. Seems maybe a bit of oil, carbon or poorer exhaust flow is creeping in as she gets older.

guy 27
4th November 2012, 01:55 PM
Make sure the fuel you're using isn't ethanol based. They are not tuned to run smoothly on ethanol fuels. That could be the reason for the pinging.

z22se
4th November 2012, 08:01 PM
Found the cause of the pinging. Starting to build up oil in the intake duct coming from crankcase pressure, caused mainly from detonation, bit of a viscious cycle, but the air filter hasn't been changed for some time so that will help, and combined with 95 octane which I don't think is ethanol based should fix the problem. Will have to monitor it though.

I think it's only the 98 octane here in Aust that has ethanol? I could be wrong, the engine is running great now though.

guy 27
4th November 2012, 08:51 PM
Found the cause of the pinging. Starting to build up oil in the intake duct coming from crankcase pressure, caused mainly from detonation, bit of a viscious cycle, but the air filter hasn't been changed for some time so that will help, and combined with 95 octane which I don't think is ethanol based should fix the problem. Will have to monitor it though.

I think it's only the 98 octane here in Aust that has ethanol? I could be wrong, the engine is running great now though.

blow by is fairly common in the 2.2's but both of mine have as close to zero as possible.

All octane fuels can contain ethanol. Just check where you fill it up from and it should state if it contains ethanol. Personally I find bp 98 to give me the best fuel economy and the engine runs smoother on it than other brands and octanes.

poita
4th November 2012, 08:54 PM
blow by is fairly common in the 2.2's but both of mine have as close to zero as possible.

All octane fuels can contain ethanol. Just check where you fill it up from and it should state if it contains ethanol. Personally I find bp 98 to give me the best fuel economy and the engine runs smoother on it than other brands and octanes.

+1 to BP Ultimate, run it all my cars and comes out on top for fuel economy and how the car runs

z22se
18th November 2012, 02:01 PM
Well coil pack is still lasting but the pinging isn't from the small amount of blowby oil entering the inlet manifold, as it turns out the blowby is being caused by the pinging as I disconnected it for a while and nothing changed ever since the new coil pack.

Wish I could just take a bit of low end timing out, or easily adjust fuel mixtures, sucks being locked out of the tuning.

Time to sell the curse soon I think, someone else can deal with it.

z22se
30th November 2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone familiar with sensor readings at idle for the z22se?

http://photobucket.com/z22se

guy 27
30th November 2012, 06:06 PM
Intake air temperature seems high other than that seems okay.
I'll get a reading off mine tonight and compare the values.

z22se
30th November 2012, 06:16 PM
It's about 30deg C outside and car has been sitting in carport after long drive so I guess that might account for it.

Think my 6th coil is on its way out. Pings like crazy on light throttle, driving me nuts.:shrug:

guy 27
30th November 2012, 06:19 PM
What fuel are you running?

z22se
30th November 2012, 06:45 PM
Well I have always run the regular unleaded (Caltex) from Woolies servos. I tried 95 and it seemed to help, but then the ECU seemed to adjust to the fuel and the pinging came back.

I came across this http://www.obdtuner.com/ but it seems its only suited to the speedster, otherwise I could tune it to the wear of the engine (so to speak).

guy 27
30th November 2012, 07:47 PM
Just gone and taken my car around the block a few times. its still over 30deg ambient temps here and highest my intake airtemp got to was 42 deg.
that sensor does play a role in the fueling of the car. maybe try putting a new one in and see what happens.

you really shouldn't be running the 2.2 on anything less than 95 octane and its not designed to cope with ethanol fuels. many cases of people running ethanol fuel and having issues.

The obd tuner can't be run on our cars unless you remove the aircon sensor and turn off the aircon system via tech2. a few in the uk have killed their ecu's not knowing this info.
but yes you can fully tune the z22se using that software.

z22se
30th November 2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks a heap for doing the back to back check with yours guy. Really helps and saves a bucket load of cash. Might have to go to the wreckers tomorrow and get a hand full of sensors to try.

One thing I am a little worried about is when the last coil shat it switched to limp mode and I had to drive it quite a distance home. Had some smoke coming out of somewhere because of the retarded timing making it run so hot, but the engine temp never got over 90deg.

z22se
1st December 2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, it looks like one thing has lead to another. Blowing smoke, looks like the limp home mode after the 5th coil has collapsed the rings.

Need a new motor. Any good sources in Adelaide, Melbourne?

guy 27
1st December 2012, 06:48 PM
That's not good at all.

Holmart melbourne have crate motors.

z22se
1st December 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks mate. Do you know if they are genuine factory crate motors, or their own rebuilt and placed into crates then called 'crate motors'?

Always wanted to supercharge or turbo the 2.2, but if they only last 140k they not much of a motor as far as I am concerned.

guy 27
1st December 2012, 07:15 PM
yeah they are brand new genuine gm motors.

Think you just had an issue with one of the sensors (i'm gonna say the intake air temp sensor with the reading you put up yesterday).
both mine are still going solid and have seen a bit of track abuse and I can't fault the z22se motors.

you could always throw in a saab 2.0T in. will bolt up no issues just need to sort out a few small things and the ecu.

z22se
1st December 2012, 07:46 PM
Took some more sreen shots today while driving/testing. All seemed ok, but a bit concerned about the max ignition timing these things can reach.

Air intake temp matched coolant temp before start up this morning so instlled some confidence, then stayed ok through the day.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332/cogs1/Car/AtRunningTemponroad.png