PDA

View Full Version : BP Ultimate Fuel QLD supply

chrissn89
23rd October 2012, 03:12 PM
I was just reading this thread (http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/off-topic-general-discussion/14532-sad-day-qlders-who-use-bp-98-octane.html) on OZMPS. I've always used BP Ultimate so lets hope the imported fuel is just as good.

In one of my safety briefs last week (Friday) it was announced that BP will be decommissioning their Alkylation unit at the Pinkenba refinery. This directly affects the production of all high octane 98 RON fuels. The decommissioning will commence starting April 2013. In addition to this, BP has also elected to cease all operating supply contracts (other than emergency) with Caltex, meaning all QLD 98 octane fuels will be, in effect from April 2013, fully and completely imported.

What does this mean for QLD motorists who (like me) use BP 98 octane?

1. BP will no longer be producing/blending locally made 98 octane for QLD. BP will instead fully import from international sister refineries in and outside of the Asia Pacific region.
2. The quality of BP 98 octane fuels post April 2013, will be more along the lines of Shell 98, another fully imported high octane fuel
3. Those that use BP 98 and have had a custom tune based on this fuel, should consult your tuner as required.
4. BP has not guaranteed that they will be able provide the same level of quality 98 fuels in QLD post April 2013

I will endeavour to find out more information on the situation. I understand that BP have had troubles with their refinery for some time, and they have signed cost saving supply contracts with their other refineries on the back of the strong AUD$.

It's a shame really. IMHO, BP have always provided QLD motorists a great product.

guy 27
23rd October 2012, 03:17 PM
I highly doubt they would only import for qld only. if they were to import it would be an aus wide event.

should it happen I guess I'll have to find some decent fuel close to me.

chrissn89
23rd October 2012, 03:42 PM
I know it seems crazy fingers crossed it doesnt happen.

hazrd
23rd October 2012, 03:47 PM
I rarely use ultimate due to its ridiculous pricing per litre. I have been using Caltex Vortex 98 for years as when I tried Ultimate, I didnt notice a difference in power between the two

JohnBu
23rd October 2012, 05:05 PM
I exclusively use BP Ultimate in both cars.

That's odd Adam, I fund BP Ultimate cheaper than Shell V-Power, but never used Vortex.

One of the reasons I use Ultimate exclusively is that I have a Citibank BP Card that gives me 5% off everything from BP, but that card is also being withdrawn after 8-10 years on the market.