PDA

View Full Version : My new car

dizzydumb
6th October 2012, 09:24 PM
Hi Guys,

As requested, here are two pics of my new car.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/Roc-016.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/Roc-002.jpg

Here's my review of it after a week driving it:

Performance

As mentioned before, no mid to high rev power rush like the VXR, but compensates with a smooth linear progression from downlow to high-mids. Feels that it's a little out of puff towards the end of the rev range, but pulls decently if I shift accordingly.

Handles flatter and more precise, considering it has multi-link rear suspension and a lower centre of gravity + 235/35/19 tyres. Torque steer slightly visible, not as aggresive as the vxr.

Standard exhaust sounds good, definitely more sporty, love the low pitch hum. It has a dodgy 'exhaust audio device' in the cabin somewhere to apparently 'complement' the external exhaust sound inside the car. Again, like the VXR, I'm sure once I ditch that stupid pre-cat, it'll open up much better.

Interior
No friggin leather seats! No friggin branded seats! WTH... 50 grand for a hatchback, and I'd definitely expect at least some cloth recaros.
That said, the standard cloth seats are quite comfy, despite not having lumbar adjustment. I sat in the golf R at the dealer with leather recaros, pretty stiff. VXR's recaros are really comfy.

Satnav and touch screen console is a plus over the VXR, but it's laggy like an old PDA. My brother's veloster has a much better unit than this. Well... koreans do make good touch screen stuff don't they?
It has a mini display between the speedo and tacho from which I can play with settings etc, a good plus point considering it is 4yrs newer than the VXR. Left side mirror tilts down when reversing, a plus point.

Rear only seats two, lesser legroom than the VXR for sure, as this car is quite short. Rear seat (50:50 split) headrests are quite tall and obstructs rear vision when reversing at an angle.

Washing
While the grille and bumper looks very aggressive, cleaning it is quite a chore. I have to say the VXR's wheels are so much easier to clean compared to the rocco's. The 'talladega' 19s have two very narrow gaps on each spoke.
On the plus side, the roof is low and flat all the way to the back, unlike the VXR with it's rear spoiler leaving a slim gap underneath (which I've never bothered reaching into).

Comfort
As the magazines say: bone jarring stiffness even when the electric dampers are on 'comfort' setting lol. The VXR is much softer and acceptable on normal mode, although running the same 35 profile 19"s too. The clonky and hesitant DSG issue from previous VWs have been sorted out on this one. The only complaint I have is that the throttle is too urgent for when I want to drive it softly. It keeps on trying to pounce forward although I tap it lightly. Maybe I'll practice my footing to get used to this new setup.

Other complaints
The vxr from factory looks like it's been decently lowered, with very little wheel to body gap. The rocco however, although already low (body wise), the gap is totally horrible! First things first, I'm definitely ordering a set of 35mm springs for it.

guy 27
6th October 2012, 09:32 PM
nice one. :) I'd recommend a decent wheel brush for cleaning those wheels. will make your life easy.

dizzydumb
7th October 2012, 03:36 AM
nice one. :) I'd recommend a decent wheel brush for cleaning those wheels. will make your life easy.

Thanks mate. But it's the gaps in between the spokes which are kill me lol. The rest of the wheel is ok though.

Vectracious
7th October 2012, 10:05 AM
Looks good - congrats on the purchase. Hope the VW reliability gremlins stay away from yours. :)

dizzydumb
7th October 2012, 08:22 PM
Looks good - congrats on the purchase. Hope the VW reliability gremlins stay away from yours. :)

Thanks mate. My neighbour just sold his golf cos he had enuff of the water pump failing on him. What possible bugs had hit ur passat before?

Vectracious
7th October 2012, 08:39 PM
DSG shat itself. Coolant leaked into the gearbox. Took the dealer and volkswagen over 6 weeks to replace the gearbox and tried every which way to blame me for the issue.

It really made me think whether I would want another VAG again.

Ice
8th October 2012, 12:33 AM
DSG shat itself. Coolant leaked into the gearbox. Took the dealer and volkswagen over 6 weeks to replace the gearbox and tried every which way to blame me for the issue.

I certainly wouldn't buy another if I was treated the way you were! You hadn't touched the car either......wankers!

Ice
8th October 2012, 12:34 AM
Oh and enjoy the Rocco dizzy :)

dizzydumb
8th October 2012, 01:53 AM
Oh and enjoy the Rocco dizzy :)

Cheers mate! Very bumpy ride lol. Missus started complaining, but love the attention otherwise.

dizzydumb
8th October 2012, 01:54 AM

Oh my. That concern came into mind too when I bought the DSG version over the manual. That said, one thing which pleases me is that the mob in VW seem to understand more about their cars when compared to the Holden/HSV boys regarding my VXR.

ChrisMaz
8th October 2012, 02:35 AM
Trackday coming soon. Want to see the Rocco taking part!

Vectracious
8th October 2012, 07:43 AM
Oh my. That concern came into mind too when I bought the DSG version over the manual. That said, one thing which pleases me is that the mob in VW seem to understand more about their cars when compared to the Holden/HSV boys regarding my VXR.

There's a hell of a lot more DSG's out there without issues and running perfectly fine than dodgy ones. It's a complex bit of equipment and I understood that something went wrong with mine. It was the process of working with the dealer and Volkswagen Australia that left the bad taste in my mouth about VW ownership. Otherwise the cars are a great drive and things like the Rocco look great.

And yeah, the whole Holden servicing Opel's thing was a disaster. You had to find a stealership that had a properly trained Opel service tech if you wanted to speak to someone who had any idea about them. I used drive past 2 Holden dealerships to get our old Astra and Vectra serviced by this one guy in a particular.

dizzydumb
8th October 2012, 12:11 PM
Trackday coming soon. Want to see the Rocco taking part!

When? Where?

I need to get a CAMS license too

Wraith
8th October 2012, 01:13 PM
Nice - Congrats... :)

CORZZA
11th October 2012, 08:03 AM
Thats very nice mate!

kabel
11th October 2012, 11:08 AM
Well done Dizzy,they do look awesome!
Really like the body style but you are right they need to sit lower.

I can talk to you about my VAG experiences and ownership of the A3 when we catch up again in the future.

Like anything regular maintenance is your best insurance.

dizzydumb
19th October 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys. 3 weeks in, and I only have two complaints so far:

1. Stiff stiff stiff suspension when you wish to have a comfy cruise (I do miss the VXR's normal mode)
2. Headlight squirters are unnecessarily dirtying my bonnet lol. On the upside the spray mist does makes me look like I hit sonic-boom when doing it at 100kph hahahaha

Kim: thanks for the offer. Will catch up with you to chat about ownership mate.

chrissn89
19th October 2012, 05:47 PM
In my experience the headlight washers will only shoot if the headlights are turned on and if you pull the washer stalk on for about more than 3 seconds. This is my experience with mazda's and Toyota's. Not sure if the VW system is the same.

dizzydumb
19th October 2012, 06:01 PM
In my experience the headlight washers will only shoot if the headlights are turned on and if you pull the washer stalk on for about more than 3 seconds. This is my experience with mazda's and Toyota's. Not sure if the VW system is the same.

Yup spot on. Just went to play with it. It doesn't squirt when lights are off. Hmmm... what if I wanna clean my windscreen at night? lol...

chrissn89
19th October 2012, 07:05 PM
Multiple quick pulls.