PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bolt length

tzc640
6th October 2012, 07:01 PM
g'day everyone, just a quick question:

So i have just changed wheels from 15 to 16 inch, on the inner side of the rim, i placed the wheel bolt thru and measured the length of thread thats actually going into the car. On the stock rims, the biting thread depth is 19mm, on the new rims, the biting thread depth is 17mm. Everything else fits alright, pcd, offset, clearance is good, except hub ring is needed.. currently did a "aim and fit".. i have tried the fitment on all 4 wheels and test drove around the neighbourhood. Do you guys think 2mm diff on each bolt is safe for driving? Do i need new bolts? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

car: 05 Astra 5D AH CD

guy 27
6th October 2012, 07:17 PM
there are longer ones available that would of been used with the 16" wheels.

you shouldn't have any issues using the shorter ones though if your new wheels are genuine.

Nurb608
6th October 2012, 07:27 PM
there are longer ones available that would of been used with the 16" wheels.

you shouldn't have any issues using the shorter ones though if your new wheels are genuine.

Wouldn't be genuine if he is using hub rings

guy 27
6th October 2012, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't be genuine if he is using hub rings

missed that.

in that case i'd recommend longer wheel bolts. M12 x 1.5 rings a bell.

guy 27
6th October 2012, 09:28 PM
Here's a comparison shot of a few I got.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/06/ajymyza9.jpg

Right is genuine used on astra g srit wheels, middle was supplied by tempe tyres for after market wheels, left is as supplied by oz racing.

M12x1.5 is the correct thread

tzc640
6th October 2012, 10:19 PM
Here's a comparison shot of a few I got.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/06/ajymyza9.jpg

Right is genuine used on astra g srit wheels, middle was supplied by tempe tyres for after market wheels, left is as supplied by oz racing.

M12x1.5 is the correct thread

Thanks for all the responses! Yup the wheels are aftermarket.. The picture says alot.. Is the middle bolt having the same thread depth as the stock bolt? Do u guy think 2mm difference in thread length affect safety?

guy 27
6th October 2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think it would be a major issue. If you were to drive the car hard in corners all the time I'd say get longer ones but if your just doing normal driving they should be fine. Just remember that they are just used to hold the wheel to the hub. they shouldn't be taking much load.

tzc640
7th October 2012, 12:12 PM
thanks for your input.. i dont drive hard around corners nor heavy load... guess it should be alright. :)

Feelinlucky75
8th October 2012, 09:56 AM
did i read right that you drove on these without spigot rings???

If so u wouldnt recommend doing that again, this puts all the weight of the car on those bolts
and they could snap at any time as they are not meant to take much load.

tzc640
8th October 2012, 10:14 AM
did i read right that you drove on these without spigot rings???

If so u wouldnt recommend doing that again, this puts all the weight of the car on those bolts
and they could snap at any time as they are not meant to take much load.

Yea I haven used spigot or otherwise hub centric rings but I always thought hub centric ring only helps in positioning the rim to fit right in the middle and does not take any load. Without hub centric rings, I thought i would get vibrations at most as the load is meant to be on the bolts..... Am I wrong?

guy 27
8th October 2012, 10:19 AM
Hub takes the load not the wheel bolts.

Nurb608
8th October 2012, 10:24 AM
You sure? I thought it was the bolts as well, that's why you can run plastic hub rings

guy 27
8th October 2012, 10:28 AM
They will take the weight but the centre bore on the wheel needs to sit on the hub to reduce the chance of the bolts/studs snapping.

tzc640
8th October 2012, 05:06 PM
thanks for everyone's opinions, to be safe, i have ordered new bolts M12x1.5 60deg tapered with 20mm thread + 65.1 - 72mm hub centric adaptors aka spigots. cheers! do i need to close a thread? how? sry noob here.

guy 27
8th October 2012, 05:20 PM
nice one :)

no need to close thread all good.