PDA

View Full Version : Insect spray safe on paint?

JohnBu
5th October 2012, 01:56 AM
I'm losing the battle against 2 spiders living in my side vision mirror and rear wiper mechanism.

Is insect spray safe on paint?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

benzino
5th October 2012, 03:04 AM
Maybe try spot testing on an inconspicuous spot, that would be the only way you could make sure

chrissn89
5th October 2012, 06:51 AM
Might stain the black plastic beneath the wiper arms. If the car has a clear coat it should be fine, just do a spot test to be sure.

JohnBu
5th October 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm not too concerned about the plastic..

I think I will spray the sh1t out of it and then hose the area down..

I'll do a little test on the car door jamb but I think it should be ok.

Vectracious
5th October 2012, 02:18 PM
have used mortein many times on all kinds of cars with no issues. Just wash it afterwards.

metry
5th October 2012, 03:09 PM
if theyre living behind the mirrors in the gap then get that mortein with the long nozzle thingy and just stick it in there and go wild. if not just dont spray it so close to the paint and dont sit there and target one spot. brush over lightly but as everyone else said. spot test an area

JohnBu
5th October 2012, 03:12 PM
I can't wait to have a garage again.... parking the car outside ruins your paint pretty quickly!

Vectracious
5th October 2012, 03:55 PM
I can't wait to have a garage again.... parking the car outside ruins your paint pretty quickly!

bullcrap. I haven't parked any of my cars in a garage ever and never had an issue with the paint. Even the Veccy which I had the longest at 5 years paint was fine and that spent maybe 1 month in the garage before it got relegated to the street.

JohnBu
5th October 2012, 11:14 PM
I will disagree with you here. And all the non metallic red cars out there do also! Lol

The sun, environment, tree sap, insects etc plays havoc with the paint.

I use to park the car undercover and since its been outside the paint has got a lot worst (rough) in the last six months compared to the past 5 years.

I would agree with you that 5 years parked outside wouldn't be that bad and can be polished/detailed to a very good finish, but had it been undercover for 5 years the paint would have been in a better condition. 10 years outside will be very noticeable on the clear coat and paint underneath.

Vectracious
5th October 2012, 11:20 PM
I will disagree with you here. And all the non metallic red cars out there do also! Lol

The sun, environment, tree sap, insects etc plays havoc with the paint.

I use to park the car undercover and since its been outside the paint has got a lot worst (rough) in the last six months compared to the past 5 years.

I would agree with you that 5 years parked outside wouldn't be that bad and can be polished/detailed to a very good finish, but had it been undercover for 5 years the paint would have been in a better condition. 10 years outside will be very noticeable on the clear coat and paint underneath.

Maybe your dad using jif on the car has more to do with the paint degrading than a bit of sun. :p

Can only speak from experience about how well the paint held up with my cars.

JohnBu
7th October 2012, 09:32 PM
I'll told him no JIF on the GTI please!