PDA

View Full Version : vectra vs astra???

Anonymous
13th December 2004, 11:04 AM
ok now i know this is an odd combination and i hope that i wont be causing any wars on here but the time has come for me to decide what my next car will be and i have got to wondering the vectra isnt that much more exspensive and wouldnt mind if someone can tell me which would be better as a buy

a 2002 model vectra

or a 2002 model astra SRi

what are the advantages or dis avantages of these cars

discuss :D

Benny-o
13th December 2004, 11:32 AM
Going to have to be a little bias and say the astra SRi.. But really depends what you want out of the car, both have their pro's / con's but that'll change from your needs..

If you want somethign sporty, you'll have to go the astra over the vectra and does come pretty loaded with features...

But if you want more room / versatility / sedate u go the vecci..

2 cents anyway..

ultim8DTM5
13th December 2004, 11:50 AM
Vectra 8)

Anonymous
13th December 2004, 11:57 AM
astra SRi, anyday mate!

I've test driven one recently, it was actually the last brand new SRi in sydney metro 8) Was a really good, responsive ride, far better than our 1.8's. In general, it just felt so much more sportier, agile and overall, a far better car. 8)

I sat in the vectra, but I felt it was a little too "mature" for me.

Also, the SRi would make a formidable track day car, considering you upgrade the rubber, and perhaps fiddle with the suspension. 8)

In conclusion, I'd choose BOTH the barina SRi and Astra SRi over the veccy anyday. Sure, there are some nice veccies out there such as Raj... et al but I don't like the reality of an emerging large car/fwd set up... :cry:

CAL.16V
13th December 2004, 01:40 PM
calibra turbo fr the same price and you have a few thousand left over

aussievectra
13th December 2004, 02:08 PM
I'd say the vectra anyday, but it depends on what model, the late vectra C by far that first came out in September, a CDX or CDXi would be my choice. But if you got a vectra B a V6 manual rocks.

RK
13th December 2004, 03:17 PM
If you want performance and handling.. got the Astra SRi. Those things fly!

If you want a hot and sexy car to just cruise in.. get the Vectra ;)

Mr T
13th December 2004, 03:32 PM
If ya wanna look like me buy an Astra :D

or you may wanna look like raj :shock:

mixmelb
13th December 2004, 05:13 PM
I'd say Veccy, more roomy, more features, and not many ppl has modified Veccy on the road whereas there are heaps of Astra on the road.
It's just my opinion.

YuSuF
13th December 2004, 05:31 PM
Alex I wouldn't be able to choose between the two, I'd own both if I could but yeah if your more after performance the SRi would be the feasible option

mr_astra_retired
13th December 2004, 05:34 PM
Alex buy a astra mate :!:

8)

Anonymous
13th December 2004, 05:48 PM
hmmmmm i srsly dunno what to do if i can get a 6 cyl then i will have to go for the veccy lol but i dunno the 4cyl just seems like a bigger SRi :roll: not sure decision decisions

RK
13th December 2004, 05:57 PM
Dynamically, im pretty sure that the Astra handles better. The V6 vectra is very front heavy.. although maybe some aftermarket swaybars will fax that?

Anonymous
13th December 2004, 06:29 PM
Dynamically, im pretty sure that the Astra handles better. The V6 vectra is very front heavy.. although maybe some aftermarket swaybars will fax that?

i just got sway bars installed on my sharp fax, the paper doesnt go in crooked now :lol:

corners really well too, fully! 8)

RK
13th December 2004, 06:35 PM
hahaha.. you clown, Scott! :P

Benny-o
13th December 2004, 06:52 PM
The SRi will kill the vecci in performace regardless of the v6 engine. It's just too heavy. As for features.. stock - 16" rims, bigger breaks, 2.2lt , elec everything just for a start.. money wise it's pretty good value. but still watever will suite ur needs best..

RK
13th December 2004, 06:57 PM
Manual V6 will beat the Astra SRi in a straight line.

ultim8DTM5
13th December 2004, 07:09 PM
Vectra is PIMP 8)

mr_astra_retired
13th December 2004, 07:56 PM
Vectra is PIMP 8)

edit , the Raj vectra is PIMP 8)

RK
13th December 2004, 08:34 PM
hehehehe :oops:

Benny-o
13th December 2004, 08:36 PM
Manual V6 will beat the Astra SRi in a straight line.

Serious?? Fair enough i wouldn't have thought so. Thought maybe an SRi would beat it off the line, but until 140/150 the vecci wouldn't be near it. learn somethign new every day..

RK
13th December 2004, 10:32 PM
My car in stock form used to do 0-100 in 8.7seconds, and mine is an Auto. And seen figures on the UK Vectra sites of 7.9 seconds. And im pretty sure that the aussie spec V6 is the same (except their GSIs, and Super Tourers).

I might check on google now and see if i can find the specs for the aussie V6 and SRi.

RK
13th December 2004, 10:46 PM
okay, i give up.. couldnt find squat. so im going to bed.

We'll just have to get AussieVectra & GOZOFF to have a 0-100kph race :D

Vectracious
13th December 2004, 11:01 PM
Having both a Vecci and an Astra, it's hard to pick between the two because they each do different things well. The Astra is definately the more sporty of the two, but on long trips my Vectra is so much more comfortable to cruise in, quieter and a much more relaxing drive.

Saying that though, if you get some decent rubber on the Veccy, they are a pretty fun car to drive and can keep up with Astra SRi's (non turbo of course) and Barina SRi's through the twisty bits as I have found on several cruises where I thought I would lag behind but didn't.

But then again, my opinion is slightly biased anyway.

And Raj is right, the V6 Vectra B's are nothing to sneeze at - they are pretty fast which is why I will never forgive myself for not waiting a little bit longer and getting 2.6 5-speed in the last of the Vectra B's.

KevinFok
13th December 2004, 11:40 PM
i dont know much about the vectra but i do have a SRi astra....they are pretty fun for cornering but when you are looking at curses the Astra wont be comfortable at all....i mean for the sportiness there seats are not comfortable at all for a long distance drive....the seat might make you feel better while taking harder corners but they tend to dig into your back...apart from that they are a nice car...i love my SRi even though it may not be a V6 it gives enough power to blow some of those old bogandores away

Anonymous
14th December 2004, 09:44 AM
think i made up my mind :P

http://photos.carsales.com.au/2222792.jpg

my dad is speaking to the holden dealer in liverpool about this vectra as we speak :D

my reasons for picking this car:
- i tend to be more of luxary person rather than a rev head (not that rev heads arent cool)
- i like the price compared to the SRi and i am still getting a 4cyl thats over 2.0l
- with the extra money left over i can pimp my own ride :P
- whilst i do tend to break the speed limit occasionally i would rather a car that i can cruise for 500k's in and not have to constantly re-arrange the seat
- you all know that i have to be exactly like raj in everyway (hes our local michael jordan :P:lol:) hhehehe
- and my dad would rather me have a larger car so i dont get smushed if i have a crash

once again thanks for all you help guys, i really hope i get this car abd i will keep you all updated

RK
14th December 2004, 10:04 AM
hehehehe :D

Car looks good mate. Love the Gun Metal grey color! And it looks like a CD model, kickass!

Fear the Vectra invasion! muhahaha! :twisted:

YuSuF
14th December 2004, 10:08 AM
Good news there Alex

btw is that a hatch?

Anonymous
14th December 2004, 10:11 AM
Vehicle: 2001 HOLDEN VECTRA JS2 M01 CD
Kilometres: 23,415
Body: 4 door Hatchback
Colour: GREY
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
Drive type: Front
Engine: 4 cylinder Petrol Multi-point injected 2.2L (2198cc)

Anonymous
14th December 2004, 10:12 AM
congrats bro

looks like the hatch model 8) I think they're pretty cool!

Get your ass to ozzy tyres and buy yourself some DUBS seeing that raj is tooo chicken to do it :mrgreen:

YuSuF
14th December 2004, 10:13 AM
Practically brand new :!: nice work

RK
14th December 2004, 10:15 AM
holy shat yeah! hardly any K's on that! nice!

:P @ Don

Anonymous
14th December 2004, 10:20 AM
http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/images/mag/mag_82_134_md.jpg

20 by 8.5's, your laughing 8)

ultim8DTM5
14th December 2004, 11:31 AM
Vehicle: 2001 HOLDEN VECTRA JS2 M01 CD
Kilometres: 23,415
Body: 4 door Hatchback
Colour: GREY
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
Drive type: Front
Engine: 4 cylinder Petrol Multi-point injected 2.2L (2198cc)

Those are some good specs!

Alex: If its in Liverpool chances are its McGraths Holden. They are decent people there, you should get a good deal.

I prefer the sedan to the hatch, but you might have more boot space for the stereo in a hatch :)

Some big wheels, tints, lowered and of course, Opel grille and rear badge would go down beautifully!

Anonymous
14th December 2004, 12:02 PM
yes so this might mean i will have a set of opel badges for the astra G for sale soon ;) keep an eye out guys (my dad is gonna go talk to someone down there tomorrow about the veccy casuehe is way too bust today with poeple here reovating our backyard)

KevinFok
14th December 2004, 05:43 PM
car looks great needs some pimping to do now :lol:

get some rims like these and it would look sick

Alfonzo
15th December 2004, 11:10 AM
I love the cruisy-ness of my Vectra, but I do find the cornering somewhat like a boat in stock form. Perhaps when I tighten up the suspension later it'll change?

They feel like two completely different cars, the Vectra and the Astra. The SRi is a very nice little car, however TS Astras are very, very popular, especially up here in QLD.

It really comes down to what you want out of your car, I love the space available in my Vectra. The boot is like a freaken fratt brother when it comes to golf bags ("Thank you sir! May I have another!" :D)

Anonymous
19th December 2004, 03:29 PM
come for a drive in my car alex and u will never look at a astra or vectra again 8)

Anonymous
21st December 2004, 09:59 AM
hehe well we spoke to the guy and h wantd $25000!!! biggest amount of bs ever,... so me and dad made a group decision to keep my astra and make some mods to keep me happy :P
all's well that ends well

Bernard Siong
21st December 2004, 10:03 AM
25K!!!!!!! :shock:

daopeliser
30th December 2004, 11:14 AM
wat kinda mods u gona do bro?how much u oldman giveun u 2 spend on the astra?

Bernard Siong
30th December 2004, 11:17 AM
i reckon on our astras... the 5 doors... the most u can do is just looks

daopeliser
30th December 2004, 11:29 AM
yeah, like rims and bodykits

01CDsedan
2nd January 2005, 09:34 AM
Personally, I reckon the best mods are the ones that actually increase performance. So, on an Astra I would start with getting the best, grippiest tyres possible (which might mean new rims if you decide to go up a size or two) and maybe some handling work - by which I mean proper suspension tuning, not just lowering it by 2". I also reckon Astras could do with better seats (with bigger side bolsters as the first priority) so maybe a set of SRi or Turbo seats retrimmed would be the go. Following that, maybe extractors and a full exhaust system.

I reckon if you get to the stage where you're looking at doing things like cams and so on (basically opening the engine up), you're at the stage where you should probably be looking seriously at buying a car with more of a performance focus in the first place.

Sometimes we forget that Astras are not performance cars, they are competent small cars that could benefit from some incremental improvement.

Anonymous
2nd January 2005, 12:22 PM
exactly my point 01CD my car is stricly all show no go, and i can handle that, if i was able to spend the $20000 payed for my astra i have now on some fully blown V8 commodore then i would have done so without a second though but my dad had other idea and i am greatful that i still have a car that isnt so bad but i can still play around with :D

Anonymous
2nd January 2005, 02:47 PM
buy a corsa sri i have no problems with v8 commodres :lol:

Degen-Astra
2nd January 2005, 03:52 PM
Why not go for a 2nd hand SRi from a private seller? You could probably score a stock 2002 model for about 20k.