PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5, Thoughts?

poita
13th September 2012, 09:41 AM
So the new iPhone was launched today, who is upgrading from a 4s or previous models?

Putting aside my Android likings tbh I don't think it's a big upgrade

The main things upgraded

Processor - Apple Dual Core A5 -> Apple A6
Screen - 3.5" IPS -> 4" IPS
Front Camera - VGA -> 1.2 megapixel

Without getting too into it

wifi will now support 2.4ghz and 5ghz
it will also support the 4G network in Australia

Sim has been changed to a nanoSIM from a MicroSIM

Dock connector changed from a 30 pin to 9 pin (you can get an adaptor for $35)

So for those who use Apple products do you think it's worth it?

And please don't turn this into a hate thread or Apple V Android debate, may as well :deadhorse:

Bloodnok
13th September 2012, 10:23 AM
Putting aside my Android likings tbh I don't think it's a big upgrade

+1.

It's bigger than the jump than from 4 to 4S, but it's still a fairly small evolutionary step compared to what other manufacturers are making at the moment.

Worth an upgrade? Maybe. You'd have to be invested in the apple ecosystem, and at the end of (or coming to the end of) your contract IMHO. That would also mean you'd be upgrading from a 4, not from a 4S (assuming a 24 month contract).

gman
13th September 2012, 10:29 AM
Honestly the only reason to upgrade would be the 4G thing from what I can see.

All phones get the new OS, so I can't see a huge advantage in it.

poita
13th September 2012, 10:31 AM
Honestly the only reason to upgrade would be the 4G thing from what I can see.

All phones get the new OS, so I can't see a huge advantage in it.

Which means the 4G network in Australia is about to be flooded and will slow down. Maybe my 3G speeds will pick up soon :lol:

Shay
13th September 2012, 10:36 AM
Whats the physical size difference?

poita
13th September 2012, 10:39 AM
Whats the physical size difference?

Width is the same, height is different.

iphone 5 - 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm

iphone 4s - 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm

03srit
13th September 2012, 10:46 AM
It's a shame they didn't really change much on their OS. I was looking forward to it too to see if its good enough to go back to iPhone but I just don't think theirs enough "New" things for me to jump back.

poita
13th September 2012, 10:52 AM
It's a shame they didn't really change much on their OS. I was looking forward to it too to see if its good enough to go back to iPhone but I just don't think theirs enough "New" things for me to jump back.

From what I can see is the big Facebook push, with it now integrated into the OS.

Other than that same same, and now all the app developers will have to adjust to the new screen size

03srit
13th September 2012, 10:56 AM
Turn by turn navi is also a nice feature. That's one of the reasons I changed to android in the first place. TomTom app for the iPhone at the time was $99 unless your jailbroken.

2002_XC
13th September 2012, 11:26 AM
the main reasons i got the galaxy was itunes, google calendar sync and not having free navi software.

having said that, im really not a fan of the galaxy, even after all this time.

Pity im in a contract for another 18 months, otherwise id be in the queue!

Shay
13th September 2012, 11:58 AM
My thoughts are:
the borders (esp top) are too big.
width and thickness are good.
but overall its a bit long.

im not sure on the power of the processor, but it doesnt look like its caught up to its competitors.

comparing to S3:
- battery isnt as good (rated 8hrs talk as opposed to 12hrs on 3g)
- the screen is a weird res (640x1136 as opposed to 720x1280) but not bad for 4"
- only supports memory card up to 32gb as opposed to 64gb

But, does any of that really matter? the sheep will flock, and it will be more popular with women because of its slightly smaller size compared to the samsung's or htc's

2002_XC
13th September 2012, 12:07 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57510802-233/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-lumia-920-by-the-numbers/

hazrd
13th September 2012, 01:19 PM
I like it. But ill never get one. Still way too restricted in means of customization etc

And agree with Pete. Not much has really changed

Jonski
13th September 2012, 01:31 PM
pretty disappointed.. i was expecting so much more.. but i'l end up buying it anyways..

Shay
13th September 2012, 02:22 PM
pretty disappointed.. i was expecting so much more.. but i'l end up buying it anyways..

this is the attitude i dont understand...

Jonski
13th September 2012, 02:25 PM
this is the attitude i dont understand...

well i was gona get the 4s when it came out, but i was told to wait for the iphone5, and im fed up with waiting.. also, ive had my nokia for the past 3yrs.

Shay
13th September 2012, 02:28 PM
still why buy something that is dissapointing?

Vectracious
13th September 2012, 02:37 PM
still why buy something that is dissapointing?

Because they have been duped that Apple is the be all and end all in phones.

It is this kind of release which makes apple so successful. Don't spend much in r&d, release something that is only slightly better than what it replaces, and you have all the sheep paying out their contracts early to get the latest.

Apples marketing department are truly geniuses and I salute them. Well done.

JohnBu
13th September 2012, 02:46 PM
My wife will get one.. she doesn't care for Android.

iPhone = easy to use.

Her iPhone 4 contract has ended and it costs bugger all get a new iPhone 5 compared to what she is paying now.

End of the day, it's just a phone, what else do you want from one.

The only thing I would want from the iPhone 5 is the ability to view Flash, that's about it.

SIMid
13th September 2012, 02:57 PM
The only thing I would want from the iPhone 5 is the ability to view Flash, that's about it.

+1

I'm not desperate to upgrade so I'll stick with mine a little longer.

Jonski
13th September 2012, 03:26 PM

It is this kind of release which makes apple so successful. Don't spend much in r&d, release something that is only slightly better than what it replaces, and you have all the sheep paying out their contracts early to get the latest.

EXACTLY like call of duty.. ahahha

boorny88
13th September 2012, 03:29 PM
Im going to upgrade as my contract runs out soon so not gonna be spenfing through my teeth for it haha

Shay
13th September 2012, 03:48 PM

Quotes like this though?!?!?! Think they lost the plot after stevie died...
"Apple rocked the gadget world today with the news that the iPhone 5 includes a new feature that gives shape and purpose to previously empty and meaningless lives.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/09/apple-says-new-iphone-5-feature-gives-life-meaning.html#ixzz26KF7RMk6"

I mean "Made for humans" is a shitty marketting ploy but thats going to another level...

poita
13th September 2012, 04:16 PM
Iphone will never work with flash.

And considering Android is dropping support too I doubt flash will be around for much longer

Vectracious
13th September 2012, 05:32 PM
EXACTLY like call of duty.. ahahha

Probably - I'm not a gamer so dunno much about the franchise.

Quotes like this though?!?!?! Think they lost the plot after stevie died...
"Apple rocked the gadget world today with the news that the iPhone 5 includes a new feature that gives shape and purpose to previously empty and meaningless lives.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/09/apple-says-new-iphone-5-feature-gives-life-meaning.html#ixzz26KF7RMk6"

I mean "Made for humans" is a shitty marketting ploy but thats going to another level...

You're right Shay - that's pretty ridiculous. So if you don't own an Apple product, your life is empty and meaningless? Can you imagine all the paranoid/OCD people flocking to their doctors because the big fruit told them their lives were meaningless - and Apple had the gall to liken IBM to Big Brother in that 80's Mac commercial....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsWzJo2sN4

Purplehaze
14th September 2012, 09:28 AM
I wont be there lining up next Friday to get one..
But I will do in about a week. So not in a great rush to get one.
I think its a worthwhile update for me from my iPhone 4.
Plus I'm on pre-paid with Telstra. So it all depends if 4g is avail on prepaid.
As lately here around Perth Telsta's 3g has been crap & slow...

Peter

Jonski
14th September 2012, 11:48 AM
JUST letting you guys know. if your planning on buying the iphone 5 outright from apple store or online store, theres a site thats selling them $100 cheaper. Kogan.com.au
i was guna preorder the 16gb version from apple for 799, but kogan have it for 699.
cheers

poita
14th September 2012, 11:54 AM
JUST letting you guys know. if your planning on buying the iphone 5 outright from apple store or online store, theres a site thats selling them $100 cheaper. Kogan.com.au
i was guna preorder the 16gb version from apple for 799, but kogan have it for 699.
cheers

Very much doubt they will be able to supply large quantities, after dealing with Apple for a few years they are a pita for stock supplies.

Good on anyone who gets them for that price though

baaaaaaaa baaaaaaa

Jonski
14th September 2012, 12:00 PM
well, i let you know how it goes.. they reckon it will dispatch on the 21st of sept, and it will take 1-5 business days delivery.

Vectracious
14th September 2012, 12:30 PM
, after dealing with Apple for a few years they are a pita for stock supplies.

I remember when I went and bought my dad a 64GB iPod - everywhere other than the Apple store was out of stock - but the Apple store had heaps according to the genius - all the other stores were saying they had them on order for months and Apple just weren't supplying them.

Purplehaze
14th September 2012, 01:10 PM
I understand the difference in numbers sold between USA & Australia prob like 1000-1.
But does there need to be such a high price difference???
$199 for thex16gb.
$799 here for the 16gb.

Then again it's no different than anything else is it.
Ohhhh well.

Jen
14th September 2012, 01:14 PM
Yep we had to do that. We were able to order them in for customers and had to tell them we weren't sure how long they will have to wait for. I think the longest it took was 4 weeks but the average was 2 so obviously apple had them lying around! Guess they were hoping people wouldn't want to wait

Jonski
14th September 2012, 01:15 PM
I understand the difference in numbers sold between USA & Australia prob like 1000-1.
But does there need to be such a high price difference???
$199 for thex16gb.
$799 here for the 16gb.

Then again it's no different than anything else is it.
Ohhhh well.

yeh but there $199 phone is locked into a 24month contract where they gotta pay $xx each month. i think..

Bloodnok
14th September 2012, 02:10 PM
yeh but there $199 phone is locked into a 24month contract where they gotta pay $xx each month. i think..

Yes.

Actual comparison is $649 US oughtright versus $799 here. Oh, and UK is £529. The US is still about $175 ahead when the currency value is converted. We are a little better off here than the UK, which slightly more of a rip-off.

Beware buying US stock though, because there are actually three devices. AT&T, Sprint/Verizon, and "everyone else"...

Jonski
14th September 2012, 02:22 PM
Yes.

Actual comparison is $649 US oughtright versus $799 here. Oh, and UK is £529. The US is still about $175 ahead when the currency value is converted. We are a little better off here than the UK, which slightly more of a rip-off.

Beware buying US stock though, because there are actually three devices. AT&T, Sprint/Verizon, and "everyone else"...

699 on kogan site :)

Bloodnok
14th September 2012, 02:24 PM

... still more expensive than in the US, despite the price drop (which is mostly avoiding tax due to fulfilment from HK).

Jonski
14th September 2012, 02:41 PM
... still more expensive than in the US, despite the price drop (which is mostly avoiding tax due to fulfilment from HK).

yeh but you gotta remember, they wages and salaries are different. At a retail store or even a fast food outlet (in the US) there average hourly rate is like 8 dollars. Here (in OZ) you get paid 16-19 at Coles or mc donalds. There average salaries are $40k, ours are like 65-75k

JohnBu
14th September 2012, 02:49 PM

Good luck getting them in a timely manner.

Purplehaze
14th September 2012, 04:40 PM
Good luck getting them in a timely manner.

Yeah I'll just go across the road to the Apple store here in Perth to get mine.
No pre-order or waiting for delivery.

Jonski
14th September 2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah I'll just go across the road to the Apple store here in Perth to get mine.
No pre-order or waiting for delivery.

if i was to do that in sydney, i would have to bring a tent and camp out for 2 days before hand.

gmonkey
14th September 2012, 11:53 PM
Still rubbish and still behind on the stats.. love how they call it an Apple Core (it is essentially an intel core, suprised they didnt sue intel)

I am sick of hearing every time a new apple product comes out, at how apple invented this and made this so much better, I ask all you apple fanboys out there (and IT peeps) name 1 invention Apple has ever created in the past decade.

SIMid
27th September 2012, 02:31 PM
I ask all you apple fanboys out there (and IT peeps) name 1 invention Apple has ever created in the past decade.

Exploding battery

Poor reception

benzino
27th September 2012, 03:15 PM
this is all I can think of when I see the iPhone 5
http://image.ffmobile.com/product/photo/41/79/10039363.c722972a41305cdb497649f5e0a7fdf9.jpg
anyone remember that? pretty much the first 4" screen on a phone

dub_sri
29th September 2012, 06:19 PM
I had a bit of a play the other day. Much lighter, the taller aspect doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would. Once they get iOS6 sorted, it'll be better overall. The camera looks better in low light, and the front facing is now 720p. But all those things aside, I have no real inclination to go out of my way to upgrade from my 4s.

Vectracious
29th September 2012, 09:00 PM
Guy in play squash with has one. The lightness has taken away of the solid quality from the 4s I feel.

boorny88
29th September 2012, 09:22 PM
I think it feels more solid as the back isn't glass anymore

Vectracious
29th September 2012, 09:24 PM
Just feels more plasticky, which is my main criticism of the galaxy phones too.

boorny88
29th September 2012, 10:01 PM
Nah I've been using it for a week now and solid as dropped it a few times and solid

JohnBu
29th September 2012, 10:03 PM
Guy in play squash with has one. The lightness has taken away of the solid quality from the 4s I feel.

So you like the 4S then? :P

I can't say it feels less solid, but does feel very light.

Wife has the 5, nicer than the 4S but I wouldn't upgrade until my contract runs out.

1 year into 2 year contract, 5S will prob be out in a year.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Vectracious
29th September 2012, 10:19 PM
So you like the 4S then? :P

Nevaaaar!

dub_sri
30th September 2012, 09:46 AM
Just feels more plasticky, which is my main criticism of the galaxy phones too.

That's the first thought I had due to the weight. I know it's metal and glass, but the weight of it made me think plastic.

Ice
30th September 2012, 11:27 PM
this is all I can think of when I see the iPhone 5
http://image.ffmobile.com/product/photo/41/79/10039363.c722972a41305cdb497649f5e0a7fdf9.jpg
anyone remember that? pretty much the first 4" screen on a phone

maybe LG should file a patent lawsuit too.

benzino
30th September 2012, 11:35 PM
maybe LG should file a patent lawsuit too.

that lawsuit was such a sham, I could never see LG stooping to that level :lol: but the reason Lg wouldn't want to do that is because apple would probably counter-sue against the LG arena which was pretty much an iphone shell with LG internals :lol: :lol:
http://www.iphonic.tv/iphone-3g-lg-arena.jpg
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/lg-arena_km900_31.jpg?9d7bd4

hazrd
30th September 2012, 11:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UAG1o.jpg?1