PDA

View Full Version : My VXR most likely written off

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi Guys,

So as a lot of you know from FB last night my car was rear ended by this junkie beetch who was so high on something that she side-swiped my rear right at 70-80kph.
I was at the red lights waiting and the moment I put it into gear ready for green, KABOOM. She clipped my rear right wheel and spun her hyundai 180 as a result.
The recaro seat airbag and curtain airbag saved my head from hitting the side window... but nothing could save the VXR.
She was not insured, but that's not the point.

I was so upset that she was that high on drugs and still drove around. I mean, we read these on the news and go 'what a silly c**t that was', but never thought that one of these c**ts would drive up ur arse like this.

I calmly got out (as this isn't my 1st time getting rear ended), lit a cigarette and started shouting at her "oi beech WTF man!". The two blokes in the car beside me had to restrain me for a bit to make sure I wasn't gonna punch her. Obviously the blokes were shocked too cos they were stopped right beside me at the lights and all of the sudden my car hit 0-100 in half a second!

Now that I think about it, I would certainly wish that she had hit me straight on and re-arrange her face indefinitely. That'd give her a proper reminder and education on not to drive on drugs. It's not right to say this, but I am VERY disappointed that she came out unscratched. Seeing and hearing your pride and joy being dragged up the truck on it's belly is something I wish I won't have to go through again.

This was how far I was flung.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/VXR-040.jpg

This is the culprit and her car - her front left wheel ended up in the passenger footwell.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/VXR-011.jpg

VXR dragged up the truck - mr. truckie fked the front bumper while doing that.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/VXR-054.jpg

What saved me. The bag explosion practically flung my head away from the windows. Sore neck & shoulder as a result.
God the smell of the explosive powder was horrible.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/IMG_2381.jpg

Damages: Notice the spokes of the wheel are completely sheared off the rim.
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/IMG_2379.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/IMG_2376.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/dizzydumb/IMG_2372.jpg

Blackhatch down!
Unfortunately another one falls victim to DUI drivers. Mind you it could've been worse if it was daytime and there was traffic coming from the adjacent street. I could've been in a pretty bad shape too.
I hope OA members can take this as a reminder, to remind yourself and your loved ones to not drive under the influence of whatever substance; most popularly alcohol or drugs (in Aus). You or your mates could've taken out someone else's mate and/or their pride and joy.

Oh by the way, my mate works near that particular intersection and he says it's pretty 'dirty' as there were a few cases of motorcyclists or cyclists getting mowed down to death by trucks or drunk drivers. Guess in a way I'm lucky to walk out unscratched.

It sucks... and the irony is that I was looking forward to cleaning & driving it to meet my mates for my birthday tomorrow. Mentally gutted!

guy 27
6th September 2012, 09:39 PM
ouch. no good dude. you walked away thats all that matters.

Z20LET
6th September 2012, 09:42 PM
I'd say that's a write off 100%! I defenitely wouldn't want it fixed if it were my car. She looks like a typical junkie C**T! I hope you get the cops on the scene asap!......?

faneca
6th September 2012, 09:47 PM
Agree with guy, its sucks that it happens and I could wish it on anyone but the fact that your ok is all that matters. And like you said it could have been much worse.

HoldenAstra
6th September 2012, 09:48 PM
That sucksssssss

Glad you are ok.

chrissn89
6th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Majorly sucks mate. Just glad your okay tho and it all works out for you. Looks like the astra did a great job saving you tho.

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 09:51 PM
I'd say that's a write off 100%! I defenitely wouldn't want it fixed if it were my car. She looks like a typical junkie C**T! I hope you get the cops on the scene asap!......?

yeah called 000 as soon as I got out, the road was a 70-80 zone and not well lit, so I told the cops to come down and divert traffic ASAP.

HoldenAstra
6th September 2012, 09:51 PM
It's sad, another gone.

How come the truckie damaged the front bumper?

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 09:52 PM
Majorly sucks mate. Just glad your okay tho and it all works out for you. Looks like the astra did a great job saving you tho.

Both my G and my H saved me from rear end prangs. G got hit on the left, and this one copped it on the right. So maybe if I buy a J, then.... hahahaha seriously wth right?

KBVXR
6th September 2012, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear your ok. Devastated for you tho. Good to see airbags did the trick!

metry
6th September 2012, 10:40 PM
glad your ok mate. ive only ever driven drunk (wasnt really drunk more tipsy/buzzed) once. well i didnt drive had to back my friends car out of a tight car spot. was the weirdest feeling ever. but did the cops come down and test the driver?

ps ive heard opc is coming next feb if you can wait that long

Z20LET
6th September 2012, 11:06 PM
yeah called 000 as soon as I got out, the road was a 70-80 zone and not well lit, so I told the cops to come down and divert traffic ASAP.

Well hopefully she will be charged and lose her licence for a very long time! (If she even has one?)

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 11:14 PM
yeah I've got 2 options.

1. Buy another good car now: there are a few temptations.
2. Buy a temporary bang-around car until OPC arrives

Will put up a poll if I choose the 1st option.

Jonski
6th September 2012, 11:28 PM
She was not insured, but that's not the point.

how u getting paid? if shes not insured?

p.s. glad ur physically ok :)

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 11:33 PM
how u getting paid? if shes not insured?

p.s. glad ur physically ok :)

I got full insurance cover instead of a 3rd party only. So my insurance will pay me off 1st, and then hunt her down to the ends of australia!

Jonski
6th September 2012, 11:42 PM
i had no idea it worked like that. I thought if she had insurance - her insurance would pay you, not your own.
and if she didn't have insurance, she would have to pay cash.
Also, cuz its her fault: You don't pay a cent right?

dizzydumb
6th September 2012, 11:52 PM
Absolutely. That's the beauty of full cover. If I only had 3rd party, I have to do all the 'chasing up' by myself. Not a single cent. In fact my insurer will throw in a free rental car for 14days which I'm gonna pick up on monday.
Basically if she had insurance, my insurance would chase hers. So in this case, she'll get hunted instead.

Jonski
6th September 2012, 11:55 PM
kk cool!
So whats the next baby gona be?

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 12:01 AM
still browsing, thinking, browsing, thinking.....

ChrisMaz
7th September 2012, 12:05 AM
Have you considered an Alfa Romeo Brera? Sexy cars :)

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 12:11 AM

Chris: servicing, resale value, modification parts availability. That aside, it's a v6 engine sound to die for

Jonski
7th September 2012, 12:15 AM

stay away from alfa's please...

lonewolf1983
7th September 2012, 12:41 AM
brera look and sound good, thats all.
If you want a nice sound, R32 golf ftw ;)

shame to see it damaged (I'd say a write off), but cars can be replaced, people cant.
Hope the cops did a blood test and she gets whats coming to her.

Shortstuff
7th September 2012, 06:23 AM
Sad to see a nice looking car go like that. I hope she gets what she deserves and learns her lesson. Doubtful though. Seeing people get some jail time for incidents like this would be great!

+1 for the R32 sounding awesome!

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 07:03 AM
My vote goes for get a cheap run around and put a deposit down on a J OPC the time will fly by in no time at all

Wraith
7th September 2012, 08:27 AM
Bloody hell...rotten luck...

Have a looks at the culprit standing there with a fag in her mouth :rolleyes: time for a crowbar or the spare tyre wheel brace to be plastered to the side of the head !

As for a replacement, I agree with the above...

IMHO forget about an Alfa or R32, both will be high maintanance and both are getting on a bit, if it's the V6 sound people want you can get that with any other V6 engined car with the right exhaust system if that's what your after...

Much better idea to get a brand new AJ variant, the new OPC will be better than either one those other 2 ;)

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 08:45 AM
I was bored at work and quickly just did a quote of the very basic items that will need to be replaced just from going off the photos so i will have left out a LOT of parts and it came close to $8000.

Wraith
7th September 2012, 08:56 AM
I was bored at work and quickly just did a quote of the very basic items that will need to be replaced just from going off the photos so i will have left out a LOT of parts and it came close to $8000.

It'll definitely end up being many times that number for a total repair job for sure...
Looking at the damage, it's a write off either way, both cost wise and from damage being too severe to bring back to being a safe platform again, could be wrong though and the chassis may still be usable...

mickos
7th September 2012, 09:44 AM
Terrible news mate but at least your not not hurt. Its only a car at the end of the day, you only get one body!

btm
7th September 2012, 09:54 AM
holy crap! pretty serious impact, glad you're ok

definitely a write off imo

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 10:47 AM
It'll definitely end up being many times that number for a total repair job for sure...
Looking at the damage, it's a write off either way, both cost wise and from damage being too severe to bring back to being a safe platform again, could be wrong though and the chassis may still be usable...

Agree 100% it will have to quite easily be many times more. I as i said i only looked at the basic main components (eg, wheel, hub, axel, rear bumper,front lower lip, rear shock, spring, outter & inner 1/4 panel, seat & curtain a/bag + trim and RRH tail lamp) and it was already at $8k (just parts). Then all the other components & parts, labour, painting and all the other many hidden costs it will easily blow out very quickly.

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 12:18 PM
yeah $8k alone will only cover the cost of buying two curtain airbags, a new recaro seat with airbag, fit them in, and re-program the ECU to detect them again.
To fix the rear quarter, they need to strip out the entire rear interior to be fully fixed and rust-proofed. Then they have to cut and replace the rippled outer skin. A new axle and wheel, brake lines, and tyre.

All of those fixed, the underbody would have suffered some damage as it is sitting on its belly as we speak. We wouldn't know the fate of the chassis until a few components are stripped off it.

guy 27
7th September 2012, 12:35 PM
A notifiable vehicle (except a motorcycle) is a statutory write-off if three (3) or more of the following apply to the vehicle:
an area 300 mm x 300 mm or more of the vehicle’s roof has sustained impact damage;
an area 300 mm x 300 mm or more of the vehicle’s cabin floor pan has sustained impact damage;
an area 300 mm x 300 mm or more of the vehicle’s firewall has sustained impact damage;
the vehicle’s suspension has sustained impact damage; or
a major mechanical component of the vehicle is cracked or broken.

source: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20800.asp#20580

Most likely though due to costs involved it will be a repairable write off not a statutory. In which case you still get your payout and the car then becomes property of the insurance company. you will have to option to buy it back if you wish as well no matter what the outcome.

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification mate. Report will be out within 4 days.

rjastra
7th September 2012, 01:26 PM
Golf R or Megane RS265... unless you want to wait 12months to never for a OPC

JohnBu
7th September 2012, 01:29 PM
Glad to know you're ok!

Low Km RS250 is what I'll recommend.

SIMid
7th September 2012, 01:49 PM
Grrr! People who don't GAF that drive around like their shit don't stink. I see plenty of these types of ppl around my work area and I'm constantly dodging them as they are unregistered and definately, not insured.

Glad you are ok, cars can be replaced! :) Unless it's rare as hen's teeth.

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 01:53 PM
yeah $8k alone will only cover the cost of buying two curtain airbags, a new recaro seat with airbag, fit them in, and re-program the ECU to detect them again.

They actually arent that expensive $280.50ea for the air bag in the seat and $418ea for the curtain air bag.

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah I was very very pissed off at her after I found out she was on drugs or whatever substance. I even told her to piss off when she wanted to borrow my phone to call her bf. Put it this way, if you're drunk or under the influence of whatever it is, then it is NO ACCIDENT and it cannot be used as an excuse or reason. She put herself in that predicament and position, and I was a casualty. Honestly if she was a guy, I would've taken a swipe at his face without hesitation.

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 01:59 PM
They actually arent that expensive $280.50ea for the air bag in the seat and $418ea for the curtain air bag.

Maybe you haven't factored in 'Australian Labour + Workmanship Costs' lol. That covers the time required to 'figure out where to start'.

kabel
7th September 2012, 02:03 PM
Sorry to see this happen.

What an absolute scrag,she will have no empathy or even comprehend what you are going through.
Unfortunatley once a junkie always a junkie. You can only hope she dies a slow disease ridden death.

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 02:10 PM
Maybe you haven't factored in 'Australian Labour + Workmanship Costs' lol. That covers the time required to 'figure out where to start'.

As per my posts those prices are just the cost of the part mate just to give you an idea. I stated in my first post plus labour + paint + profit + hidden fees so yes i have not factored in those costs at all.

Younge
7th September 2012, 03:02 PM
dude,

I'm not sure if someone has suggested this to you or not, but get in touch with the vxronline.co.uk or garages in England, when my brother had an accident he got ll his parts from other broken VXR's.
Don't write her off just yet, parts are so much cheaper in England compared to here

2002_XC
7th September 2012, 03:13 PM
With that much damage if be praying for a write off otherwise id be selling it as soon as I got it back. But that's just me

benzino
7th September 2012, 03:37 PM
geez mate, sorry to hear about this. glad to hear you're ok though, as people have said that's the only important thing.

that tramp really needs to get what's coming to her... one good thing is there's one less excel on the road now! :lol:

good luck with finding your next baby :)

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 03:51 PM
As per my posts those prices are just the cost of the part mate just to give you an idea. I stated in my first post plus labour + paint + profit + hidden fees so yes i have not factored in those costs at all.

Sorry didn't read that line mate. But yeah, as we all know the reason why the prices are so high is because anything done by 'australian labor to australian standards and warranty' seem to cost an arm and a leg. The assessor even emphasized that 'the labour itself would cost almost half of the car's value at this point'.

dizzydumb
7th September 2012, 03:54 PM
With that much damage if be praying for a write off otherwise id be selling it as soon as I got it back. But that's just me

Now that I think about it, you're right mate. God knows what else has been 'jolted to death' by that bang. I'd be worried about:
1. Contents of the engine
2. Electrical components failing
3. Body overflexing if chassis not fixed to 100% accuracy
4. Rickety nuts and bolts which will drive me nuts

chrissn89
7th September 2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry didn't read that line mate. But yeah, as we all know the reason why the prices are so high is because anything done by 'australian labor to australian standards and warranty' seem to cost an arm and a leg. The assessor even emphasized that 'the labour itself would cost almost half of the car's value at this point'.

I do about 5 smash quotes a day and honestly only see about one quarter of them go through as the majority are just written off due to the cost of fixing them. When really the cost of the parts are very little its just the labour is so high.

Fingers crossed its written off for you as i wouldnt want it back after that. Hang out and get the J OPC or the Megane RS265

2002_XC
7th September 2012, 04:39 PM
Now that I think about it, you're right mate. God knows what else has been 'jolted to death' by that bang. I'd be worried about:
1. Contents of the engine
2. Electrical components failing
3. Body overflexing if chassis not fixed to 100% accuracy
4. Rickety nuts and bolts which will drive me nuts

Exactly. I've got 2 kids and wouldn't want to risk it with them in the back

NZSHAKER
7th September 2012, 07:58 PM
Man thats a sad site to any car...apart from the excel

Glad your ok but I know I would be guttered if it even happened to my little old AH

SHAKER

Hoss
8th September 2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry to read about this. Glad you're OK though.

dizzydumb
10th September 2012, 04:25 PM
Hi guys! 1st sign of relief just passed. The RAC assessor decided that the chassis is still intact, and the cost of repair MIGHT just be alright to not write it off yet. He's moving the car from the holding yard to Romanos Smash Repairs (WA guys pls give feedback on this repairer) who apparently is the preferred choice for high end cars from mercedes to maseratis. So it's up to the repairer to now give a second quote on how much it'd cost, then RAC will give the FINAL word on whether or not it's worth it to repair or write off.

I'm in a bit of a mixed feeling. It's like ur baby is saved from death, but slipped into a coma lol. Half of me wants it to be fixed cos obviously I'm attached to it, but another part is wanting the excitement of getting another car.

All in all, I'm quite happy with this bloke from RAC cos initially he wanted me to take it to a HSV dealer to get it sorted, but moments later calls me up and personally recommends me Romanos whom he personally knows. He did mention something along the lines of "the holden guys would probably take a week to even figure out what to do" lolol. Happy to be taken care of by RAC. Smiles!

hazrd
10th September 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm in a bit of a mixed feeling. It's like ur baby is saved from death, but slipped into a coma lol. Half of me wants it to be fixed cos obviously I'm attached to it, but another part is wanting the excitement of getting another car.

Mate I know exactly how u feel coz I was there just two months ago. If the chassis is still intact (like mine was) and the panels can be bent out and repaired easily (also, like mine was), its just down to the cost of repair versus the insured value of the car.

If the value of repair comes to I think its around 60% of the insured value, it will be a statuatory write off. If not, happy days. Trust me, while searching for another car may be exciting, its overwhelming and mentally painful :lol: I was shopping because I was almost definite mine would be written off. But im over the moon that I got it back because I got to enjoy driving it again.

If it does get written off... this just came up, it isnt a VXR, but its damn tidy ;)

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?33806-QLD-06-Astra-SRi-Turbo-with-Snowflakes!!-13800!

dizzydumb
10th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion mate, but for me right now it's either I keep my vxr which I love to death, or tell my insurer to just write it off and get something outside our common circle. i.e. focus RS or Scirocco R.

The 'telling the insurer to write it off part' is a really tough decision now, it's like telling the doctor to pull the plug on a coma patient.

lonewolf1983
10th September 2012, 09:18 PM
Have heard good things about Romano's in the past.
Repairs cost so much these days (new parts and labour) that i cant see yours being economical to salvage (not sure what a VXR is actually worth these days)

i'd rather have it written off and get something new, for me it would always be in the back of my mind about the quality of the repair, and it will affect your resale.

dizzydumb
11th September 2012, 10:48 AM
Will go there today and try to pull the plug on my baby. Will see how it goes...

kabel
11th September 2012, 03:02 PM
Good luck.
Having been in your situation with my Mrs VXR being written-off the cost to repair for the new owner was not anywhere near estimated by HSV. Happy to say her VXR survives and is still going strong uner new ownership !

dsuhiti91
11th September 2012, 03:29 PM
I would be hoping for a write off. Although it might get repaired, I dont think it would ever feel the same driving it again.

Shaun
14th September 2012, 04:45 PM
Ouch sorry to hear about that happening to your VXR. I would be gutted if someone hit mine. Main thing is your ok . Cars can be replaced but humans cant.

dizzydumb
14th September 2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys. BTW the verdict has been handed down by my insurer that the car is a write off, and will be sold to the wreckers. Will get my cash back and move on to another car.
Brainstorming for the next two weeks before I make a decision on what car to buy.

Jen
14th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry that it had to end that way for you but you probably wouldn't have loved it as much if you got it back. Good luck and have fun choosing your next ride. Get out there and test drive, you might surprise yourself with what you end up with

xplosv57
14th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Any chance of finding out which wrecker it goes to? Might want some bits from it!! All the best with the search for a new one!!

dizzydumb
15th September 2012, 02:16 PM
Any chance of finding out which wrecker it goes to? Might want some bits from it!! All the best with the search for a new one!!

Will find out for you when I remove my belongings next week

kabel
17th September 2012, 09:53 AM
SOrry to hear that.
Good luck in your search for another Beastie !

dizzydumb
17th September 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Turns out it's technically not a write off as the chassis is not compromised (several restorers brought their engineers in over the weekend to view), so it's more about my insurance thinking it's not worth their while to fix it for me that's all. Therefore some certain restorer (I'm not told which) will be repairing it and sending it to the auctions).
Heading down today to remove several easy bolt on mods which I've put in (and re-fit the OEM parts), and kiss it goodbye.
Happy to know that it's not the end of this car.

xplosv57
17th September 2012, 11:09 AM
Your airbox on the list of mods youre removing by any chance?

dizzydumb
17th September 2012, 11:22 AM
Your airbox on the list of mods youre removing by any chance?

yes, but sorry mate, Todd has called dips on the CDTi + dBilas intake scoop already.

xplosv57
17th September 2012, 12:23 PM
yes, but sorry mate, Todd has called dips on the CDTi + dBilas intake scoop already.

All good mate!!

willhouse
17th September 2012, 02:16 PM
Out of interest, what happens with the seat seeing as the airbag went off? Can the airbag just be replaced, or will the repairer be forever waiting for a new seat to appear for sale, or I guess import one?

guy 27
17th September 2012, 02:19 PM
just replace seat airbag and the cover it pops out from.

dizzydumb
17th September 2012, 08:00 PM
just replace seat airbag and the cover it pops out from.

Or find a 2nd hand seat from god knows where, whichever is cheaper.

dizzydumb
17th September 2012, 08:02 PM
Just got home from the workshop. Spent the last 2 hours or so removing stuff from my car, it was kinda sad actually. Gave it one goodbye kiss and walked away.
Btw all I was told is that it is going to 'Pickles Auto Auctions' for several wreckers to bid for it this weekend.

kabel
17th September 2012, 09:14 PM
It will be picked up with a forklift and placed in a rack in the meantime !

dub_sri
23rd September 2012, 08:42 PM
Sad to see those pics, it was a doozy of a crash. Luckily it isn't gone completely.

preludacris
24th September 2012, 11:37 PM
dam! i want the rear diffuser, exhaust, and front grill! :(

Sorry to hear mate. My beloved old prelude was recently written off by a stupid driver, hence I have recently joined the Astra club.

I chose to salvage the wreckage, and slowly parting off all my mods, and then the rest of the car. Sitting in the drive way, i say hi to her everytime i get back from work.... lol, sad... but i feel your pain.