PDA

View Full Version : Parts Assistance Required... Please help

Smiley1717
3rd September 2012, 04:57 PM
Hey guys...

I have a 99 SB 1.4 and have decided to freshen the motor... at this stage i would like to play and learn with the existing motor before i hang the expence on a 1.6 or a 1.8

i will be placing a small turbo to get a bit more punch and would like to know on recomendations on con rods, pistions, cam and what type of after maket ecu would be best to have it re programmed to gain max fuel ecomomy and also torque and power as this car is also a daily drive? i will be place a new exhast manifold and will be putting a new system to suit after the engin is rebuild... does any one know or where i can sorce these parts? Can all this be sorced local or is it best to sorce from the UK?

also does any one know where i can get a 1.6 throttle body to replace the orginal?

can some one please advise on a recomendation to where i can get the gear box reco'ed and if they can be strengthed to cope with the force of the turbo?

i look forward to hear from you with your experiance advise and recomendations...

Thanks heaps in advance...

chris_r
3rd September 2012, 10:03 PM
I'd say go straight to the 1.8 Z18XE. You can get the motors cheap enough. You will however also need to source a C16XE timing cover and belt kit. I'd recommend upgrading to a F15 gearbox, but your F13 will do if money's an issue. C14SE flywheel (with clutch) will fit the Z18XE, but I think the C16XE (or C16SE) has a larger diameter clutch.

As for the fuelling side of things, there's two ways to go with the management (three if you count aftermarket). You can either get all the C16XE sensors, ECU, wiring harness, throttle body and exhaust cam sprocket. X16XE would possibly work too, but the C16XE management has less BS to deal with. Alternatively, source a Z18XE Vectra B wiring loom from the UK and the throttle potentiometer and use Z18XE sensors and ECU. This allows you to keep the drive by wire throttle setup too. A bit of cutting and soldering is required for the loom, but on the C14SE it shouldn't be too hard.

You can go ahead and turbo your 1.4, but if you're serious about building up the bottom end, don't waste your time on the C14SE. Buy a Z18XE, go to town on the internals whilst you're still driving your 1.4 and when the engine is ready, drop her in.

The main reasons I'd just go for the 1.8 is that in a small car like the Corsa are one, it's about 50% more powerful than the 1.4 (60kw vs 92kw), it's about the same weight as the GSi twin cam engine being a Family 1 engine and lastly, they're cheap and easy to get your hands on. Even going from the 1.6 to the 1.8 there's an insane amount of difference.

Smiley1717
7th September 2012, 10:56 PM
Hey Chris... thanks for the info... very informative

I would really like to have a chat with you if that is cool and really pick your brain and options.... is that ok???

Smiley1717
8th September 2012, 12:09 AM
hey chris

sorry to be asking a crap load of questions but i am learn a great deal and getting very confussed

if the z18xe is the way to go ... what throttle body can i place on there to remove the fly by wire???

i really want to keep it as simple as i can.

with the Z18 with teh f15 box fit str8 in and bolt str8 up with no hassels?

what are the best ways to improve the engin preformace and get a little more grunt out of it?