SIMid
28th August 2012, 11:55 AM
...... ended up burning my coil pack on her. $450 later ....... :prrr:

poita
28th August 2012, 12:16 PM
oh nasty!

SIMid
28th August 2012, 12:22 PM
Had seeping of engine oil around the oil cap and rocket cover so gave her a degrease with the engine cold. Started her up, cleaned all the grease, came up literally like brand new. Been told that the coils are like a cap and it would had collected the water and yeah, pretty much burnt them out. Being a turbo, expensive part. :mad2: So it was my own doing. :nonod: The mechanic said some engines you can, some you can't. He said that's why he never cleaned mine, I just thought he was too lazy. :lol:

Prewarn everyone with turbos, don't clean them with water!

03srit
28th August 2012, 01:15 PM
Ouch. So what's the best way of degreasing them that you'd recommend?

dizzydumb
28th August 2012, 01:16 PM
I learnt it when I was with a mate getting his car washed in a local detailer in Singapore. This older bloke told the car wash guy to pressure clean his E320 Merc, and it practically wouldn't even start afterwards. It was then towed straight to a Benz dealer lol. I only use a damp rag and degreaser from the outside.

kabel
28th August 2012, 02:16 PM
Good advice.......I actually degeased my G on the weekend but only ever run the hose at a tricle over it and then use a rag.

adam_92
28th August 2012, 02:54 PM
When I did car body repair my lecturer told me to never ever clean an engine bay with the engine off. Some of the mechanics in the other class cleaned their cars and then had to spend a good hour or 2 drying and blowing out their engine bay. Don't do it when the engine is hot though as you could crack heads/manifolds etc. I always cold start mine, pressure clean the engine bay then blow it over with an air gun in the crevases and pits on the top of the engine.

guy 27
28th August 2012, 07:32 PM
When I did car body repair my lecturer told me to never ever clean an engine bay with the engine off. Some of the mechanics in the other class cleaned their cars and then had to spend a good hour or 2 drying and blowing out their engine bay. Don't do it when the engine is hot though as you could crack heads/manifolds etc. I always cold start mine, pressure clean the engine bay then blow it over with an air gun in the crevases and pits on the top of the engine.

exactly the way i do it as well.

boorny88
28th August 2012, 07:47 PM
Ive always been told to never clean an engine bay with water running or off use a rag with some cleaning products and ur good to go

JohnBu
28th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Being lazy cleaning has some advantages! lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Shortstuff
28th August 2012, 09:46 PM
I pressure washed mine today. I always try to stay away from the spark plugs/coil pack area though, and just give it a blow over with an air gun afterwards. Oh, and I wrap my alarm siren with a plastic bag!

SIMid
29th August 2012, 09:01 AM
I didn't drench it, just using mist to lightly hose off the grease. Had the engine running too. But it was enough to burn out coil pack Cyl No.3 (could smell the burnt plug).

Wraith
29th August 2012, 07:14 PM
Ouch...Simon electricity and water do not mix LOL.

If anyone is going to put water in their engine bay and then start it up or leave it running your asking for trouble of this type, sometimes you get lucky and nothing happens, but even much older cars and their engines suffered the same fate...

The way to do it is to dry clean when engine is cold, it is harder and takes alot longer but if you must water clean/hose degrease the engine, do it after a run or sometime idling where engine temp is up but not too hot so that you have some drying effect when finished and engine must be turned off, only re-start when evreything is dried up...

I actually do it this way and have also always dried it all up as completely as possible with old cloths :)