PDA

View Full Version : OpelAus member reviews of the new Opel range!

dsuhiti91
25th August 2012, 03:06 PM
So its exactly a week until launch and many have already seen or driven the new Opel range. This is the thread to share all your opinions/reviews of the cars and any pictures you may have, it would be handy to have everything in one place rather than 20 threads on the same subject.

Personally I have driven the whole range so here is a quick review.

1. Corsa 'Enjoy' 1.4 Auto - The least fun model of the range but it is forgiven as it is the entry level Opel. Very nice ride, steering is a bit light but has more feel than Japanese competition. Same interior as Astra H in regards to dash. 4 speed auto is average and gutless with a full car - but nice and decent if driven alone/2 people (0-100 is a claimed 13.9 for auto). Bonnet latch is in passenger foot well, aka Peugeot.

2. Astra GTC 1.6T Manual - Only comes in manual for now (auto will be later). Great interior and looks amazing (especially with the 20" wheels). More room than Astra H, quality is definitely a step above. Great suspension, its softer than a Astra H Turbo, but still firm. Hard to get used to all the buttons on the dash, but more time would equate to easier operation. Has a loud turbo spool up noise. Good pace for the most part, nice 6 speed gearbox. Obviously well adrift of Astra H Turbo/VXR performance.

3. Astra 'Select' 2.0 Diesel Auto - Great looks for a wagon, interior is great like the GTC, huge boot with clever electronic rear seat fold down mechanism. 6 speed auto is very smooth, engine is quite loud (but not worse than other diesels), great highway cruiser. Thick A pillars like the rest of the range. Very comfortable and its ride quality is class leading. Steering feel is a bit lifeless however.

4. Insignia 2.0 Diesel Auto - What a car! Base model but has tons of features, road presence better than 3 Series, C class. Interior is very high quality, large boot and rear seats. Feels so planted on the road, definitely my favorite car out of the Opel range. Seamless auto tranny, engine is loud on take off but it is because its diesel and im not used to it. Leather on steering wheel and knob could be classier - but overall I loved it. Best value!

I also sat in the Insignia wagon which looked great. The AGR seats are sure worth it!

My 2 cents.

Nurb608
25th August 2012, 06:43 PM
I've only driven the GTC 1.6T, but loved it. Obviously a lot less power than i'm used to be the overall ride is great, even on the 20" rims. Can really tell how far the suspension has come along since the H, especially the back end and the Watts Link. Inside, plenty of room, very little cabin noise. I love the additional buttons, no need to scroll through menus, that's a personal thing though I guess. Getting used to the indicators being back on the other side again was weird, last car I owned like that was my old Calibra about 5 years ago. Because of this, i tried out the wipers several times, lol. The wiper setup on the Astra is quite good and cleans a lot of the screen. Biggest thing that spun me out was the "Hill Start Assist"! Cluth in with first gear selected on a massive hill, take foot off the brake, and the car just held me there until i released the clutch, very wierd feeling. Can see it assisting a lot of people who cant take off on hills and roll back towards you.

sooty
25th August 2012, 07:16 PM
I drove the 2.0T insignia petrol sedan and sat in the wagon so I'll first compare the two. Both have good rear leg room, however the head room in the rear of the wagon is better than the sedan due to the sweeping roof line. The boot in the notchback is nice and large, and the wagon is substantial too, however perhaps not as big as I'd guessed.

The spec levels on these cars are ridiculous, they're so well fitted out, and the AGR sports seats would be my pick of the options. The adjustable lumbar support along with the extendable leg section make for probably the most comfortable car seat I've sat in. The drive is really really smooth, super quiet, and the motor has a really good pickup when you need the power. It's all just sort of effortless really! They truly are specced well above their weight with all the bells and whistles.
The auto felt good and could cruise nice and easily, I think the transmissions will get even smoother as the car is driven (mine only had 9km on it).

A few interesting facts about the cars and the dealerships:
1. The insignia took 67L when we filled it up so it should have awesome long drive capabilities. Approximately a 70L fuel tank apparently

2. Fixed price servicing on the cars will make servicing easy to manage, $299 for the corsas, $349 for the Astra and $400 for the insignias.

3. All opel's come with Opel roadside assist. In rural regions they'll tow you to the nearest Holden dealership, or in metropolitan they'll tow you to the nearest Opel dealership. This lasts three years and is done through the local authority ie: RACV in vic

4. Holden are not allowed to service Opel cars, nor are they allowed to sell parts for them. Only Opel dealerships can service the opels and sell the parts. However Opel can also service the holdens (older spec astras, vectras etc)

Overall I was very impressed and am definitely considering an insignia for Amy's next car.

chris_r
25th August 2012, 07:44 PM
4. Holden are not allowed to service Opel cars, nor are they allowed to sell parts for them. Only Opel dealerships can service the opels and sell the parts. However Opel can also service the holdens (older spec astras, vectras etc)

I would say "Holden would rather refer the owner to an Opel dealership". To say a Holden dealer isn't allowed to service an Opel vehicle is a clear breach of the ruling by the ACCC that states you can get your vehicle serviced anywhere you want and not void your warranty, as long as the workshop is qualified and stamps the log book.

As for servicing the older Holden-badged Opels, well Holden stopped having anything to do with Opel vehicles as soon as they started passing off crappy Daewoos with Aussie branding.

Back on topic though, I'd say I'm interested in giving the Insignia a test drive.

chrissn89
25th August 2012, 10:00 PM
Great write up guys, re the servicing new Lexus's can only be serviced by Lexus within the warranty period not even Toyota are aloud to service them.

ChrisMaz
26th August 2012, 12:39 AM
The big question is how much will the Opel Dealerships charge per service compared to Holden for the Older models....

Bloodnok
27th August 2012, 09:50 AM
I would say "Holden would rather refer the owner to an Opel dealership". To say a Holden dealer isn't allowed to service an Opel vehicle is a clear breach of the ruling by the ACCC that states you can get your vehicle serviced anywhere you want and not void your warranty, as long as the workshop is qualified and stamps the log book.

There is a big difference between Opel cancelling a warranty if you've been to a 3rd party mechanic, and Holden dealerships refusing to work on Opel cars. If GM management tell Holden that Opel cars are not to be serviced at Holden dealerships, but are to be referred on to Opel dealerships instead, that's not breaking any rules.

The big question is how much will the Opel Dealerships charge per service compared to Holden for the Older models....

Yes - if they bring the parts cost down to sensible levels (I'd be dreaming if I thought they could compete with Autovaux, but at least something within the same order of magnitude...) that would be an interesting development...

random_dav
27th August 2012, 11:50 PM
I really like the Insignia's, had a few in work when I was in UK. The diesel is briiliant, a chap I knew racked up 1000's of miles and it never missed a beat. I must say the 6 speed manual diesel is fantastic much better than the auto

I hired the 1.8 N/a petrol which was pretty bad not the one to buy tbh.

ChrisMaz
28th August 2012, 12:12 AM
Don't even know why they would bother with such a small displacement engine in a car of that size. Didn't make sense in the Vectra's either.

Vectracious
28th August 2012, 05:57 PM
Don't even know why they would bother with such a small displacement engine in a car of that size. Didn't make sense in the Vectra's either.

Tax laws are different in Europe, bigger engines mean you pay more.

rjastra
28th August 2012, 07:23 PM
Tax laws are different in Europe, bigger engines mean you pay more.

And cars that use more fuel (C02) are taxed higher. It's essential that manufactures keep their EU fleet economy figures as low as possible.

boorny88
1st September 2012, 02:14 PM
Well took the insignia select out for a test drive with chrismaz as well as the 1.4 gtc. The insignia what a drive it is so comfortable and the power from it just amazing for stock. The gtc is nice for a small car but im gonna wait for the opc insignia to come in to the country as my next car

hazrd
1st September 2012, 07:33 PM
Jen and I took out the 1.4 GTC auto. Specifically because we will more than likely be shopping for Jen next.

Such refinement in a car. You drive the 1.4 and you would not tell that it was turbocharged. It was just that smooth. It is hard to explain, but it doesnt feel punchy, but it definitely gets up to speed as if it were!! The steering was phenomenal. Handled perfectly. It was easy to hold your speed on the road, and the braking was very smooth, you press the pedal and there is no sudden jolt forward like some cars.

The indicators are still where they should be, on the LEFT side :p and the wipers go from the inside out, which looks like it covers more of the windscreen.

Blind spot is actually very good. I noticed that in the 3 door AH its a little difficult when you look over your shoulder at times. In the GTC you dont get that.

The auto transmission is very smooth compared to the AH model. The HUD/Multimedia setup is great, and you get radio station name display including the current song playing. Cruise control is so easy to use, and it looked so sexy in red.

So, if thats what the GTC is like, I would LOVE to see what the OPC is like ;)

JayJayQ
5th September 2012, 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I've been on the forum but I have been inspired recently after going to see the Insignia on Saturday September 1 and seeing the Guten Tag Opel ads on TV tonight. It's been a long wait but finally we have the real thing (not a re-badged version) here in Australia.

I'd absolutely love to get the Insignia Select Sports Tourer petrol with the 20" optional wheels (shown in all the marketing photos), but it is a major issue for me that they have not brought out a manual version to Australia. My past two Vectras have both been manuals, and I'd rather not compromise on that. Anyone know whether there is any chance of getting a manual version out here in the future?

Finding the 50K to pay for it is also a bit of an issue for me. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stick with my 2003 Vectra CDXi manual a bit longer. Luckily I still love it!

HoldenAstra
5th September 2012, 11:29 PM
Where are these cars made?

poita
6th September 2012, 12:30 AM
Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I've been on the forum but I have been inspired recently after going to see the Insignia on Saturday September 1 and seeing the Guten Tag Opel ads on TV tonight. It's been a long wait but finally we have the real thing (not a re-badged version) here in Australia.

I'd absolutely love to get the Insignia Select Sports Tourer petrol with the 20" optional wheels (shown in all the marketing photos), but it is a major issue for me that they have not brought out a manual version to Australia. My past two Vectras have both been manuals, and I'd rather not compromise on that. Anyone know whether there is any chance of getting a manual version out here in the future?

Finding the 50K to pay for it is also a bit of an issue for me. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stick with my 2003 Vectra CDXi manual a bit longer. Luckily I still love it!

Unfortunately manuals only make up for 2% of the market in that segment, so there is pretty much no chance of us every getting them.

ChrisMaz
6th September 2012, 12:33 AM
O.K posted this in the wrong spot...

I completely agree with the GTC ride height being rather high... Sure its only an entry level sports model, but I thought it would be a fair bit lower and the wheel arch openings filled. (They are massive wheel arches though, probably get some 22" rims under there.)

I only got to drive the 1.4GTC and it really didn't interest me. Just not enough poke, although the handling was excellent. Hopefully get into a 1.6GTC tomorrow or Friday in which the Sales manager assured me that the 30KW increase makes a huge difference. The interior is a nice place to be and the lighting below the gear stick and door handles are a very good look. The brushed aluminium looks very good, but there is still some bad looking hard plastic used for the centre cup holder/tray. (Wheres the arm rest?!) Forgot to play with the stereo during my test drive. The Gearbox is silky smooth and the clutch has a rather middle of the range bite point, which is very easy to drive. All round, an O.K package thats let down by those massive front wheel arches and low power.

The Corsa... Boring. Zero road presence (Only had them in white with steel rims) Didn't bother driving it. Interior is very last generation even compared to a base corolla. However... It does come with a fair bit of Kit that a lot of entry level cars these days still don't have. Electric windows, mirrors, climate control etc. I'm sure the price of these will sell well to the older generation that are willing to get rid of their Getz shopping carts.

Insignia Select. Wow. What a great looking car. Even the wagon has a good look to it. The view of the rear is simply amazing. The boot contour really makes it stand out, although the exhaust outlets seem like bit of an after thought. Interior wise, the select is top notch. Leather is of excellent quality and the seats in general are amazing. Did anyone get to experience the cooling seats!? They offer top notch support. I keep saying, those Insignia leather seats should have been in the GTC purely because they offer so much more support.
The centre console looks excellent with the gloss black fascia and the sat nav is very well laid out button wise.
The 2.0T engine is incredible. Next to no lag and power all through the rev range. The tip tronic is a little nannyish and sluggish. Some shifts won't be allowed if the revs are too high, even when its not near the limiter. Leave it in full auto and it performs its best. Corner wise, couldn't believe how flat it turned for such a large car. And its not as if the suspension is rock hard, its just about perfect.
All round, an excellent car with impressive looks and performance to match. Only let down would be the front styling with the square fog lights seeming like an odd choice for a car with such a rounded and well contoured car.
Cannot wait for the Bi-Turbo Oiler and OPC
I'll take the CDTi Wagon out later this week.

Bloodnok
6th September 2012, 09:16 AM
Unfortunately manuals only make up for 2% of the market in that segment, so there is pretty much no chance of us every getting them.

I spoke to the sales manager at Brisbane about that. According to him, there won't be a manual Insignia here, although with enough evidence of interest they could be persuaded to bring the hatch.

At this rate, if I ever get the Insignia I want, it'll be a Vauxhall...

hazrd
6th September 2012, 06:32 PM
Where are these cars made?

The clue is in the commercial ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5eQEqM4qs

Nurb608
6th September 2012, 06:47 PM
The clue is in the commercial ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5eQEqM4qs

Doesn't sound like a UK accent :p

HoldenAstra
6th September 2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, watched this ad on channel 7, it's a great one, but I think it only confirms the brand is from Germany.

JayJayQ
6th September 2012, 09:42 PM
I know that manuals are becoming more and more rare these days Poita, but we can only hope. I also emailed Opel Australia today to say that there is some demand in the market for manuals and I'll wait and see what they say. Can't wait to take an Insignia for a test drive.

By the way, there were no sales brochures available at the Parramatta dealer in Sydney either. They didn't even have proper signage up yet.

Great reviews ChrisMaz, I'll be keen to know what you think of the Insignia CDTi wagon when you take it for a spin this week.

Younge
7th September 2012, 03:12 PM
So after speaking to friends from back home in England about the new VXR they have confirmed a few things with me.
The new VXR is a power rocket and everyone (being my generation 18-25) wants one in EUROPE... but he quoted "If i lived in Australia i would have a V8 something like a R8, clubsport" So because of the roads in England and how much petorl and tax costs, buying a VXR is perfect for anyone who wants fun on a buget it seems.

How they drive is personal opinion, but i'm going back for Xmas this year. You bet i'm going to drive my friends :)

Just wanted to state the above for anyone who is expecting the new Opels to be as good as the big boys like R8. For us Pome's the VXRs are pocket rockets! :D

I don't know if Opel will do well here compared to the other bigger engines, are looks enough?

Vectracious
7th September 2012, 04:00 PM
So after speaking to friends from back home in England about the new VXR they have confirmed a few things with me.
The new VXR is a power rocket and everyone (being my generation 18-25) wants one in EUROPE... but he quoted "If i lived in Australia i would have a V8 something like a R8, clubsport" So because of the roads in England and how much petorl and tax costs, buying a VXR is perfect for anyone who wants fun on a buget it seems.

How they drive is personal opinion, but i'm going back for Xmas this year. You bet i'm going to drive my friends :)

Just wanted to state the above for anyone who is expecting the new Opels to be as good as the big boys like R8. For us Pome's the VXRs are pocket rockets! :D

I don't know if Opel will do well here compared to the other bigger engines, are looks enough?

There is a general move away from the traditional RWD V8 sedans here in Australia as well. I know petrol is nowhere near what they are paying in the EU, but at 1.50/L + for 98 - running a V8 day to day will start to get annoying with how often you'll need to fill up. Also, driving a hot-hatch is nowhere near as girly as it used to be - in fact the only people who are likely to call you out on it are feral bogans with teeth missing, and who cares what they think of your car! ;)

benzino
7th September 2012, 05:36 PM
Also, driving a hot-hatch is nowhere near as girly as it used to be - in fact the only people who are likely to call you out on it are feral bogans with teeth missing, and who cares what they think of your car! ;)

hahaha well said!

guy 27
15th September 2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks to OpelBrisbane for giving me a test drive in a new GTC :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/upa4asuz.jpg

First thing that really stood out for me was the ride quality. For a car riding on 20" wheels it did not feel like it at all. The way it coasted over bumps in the road and the feedback through the steering was very impressive. Compared to every other earlier generation Opel I've driven this is by far the smoothest I've ever come across. So much in fact many other newer cars available on the market don't feel as nice in this department. It feels like a car you could just cruise in for days/weeks on end and not be bothered by how shocking our roads in parts of Australia.

The interior is without question very comfortable. Seats have a very nice mix of sportiness and lounge styling without over or under doing each part. I wish my seats were even half as comfortable. The extra adjustments on them make setting them up a little more time consuming but get it right and you will see what i'm on about here.
The dash is layed out very well. There are a fair few buttons but i'd prefer more buttons than just 1 that controls everything which is seen in many high end cars these days. Everything is clear and very easy access to get to. No need to reach to gain access to what you want. One thing I did notice in the one I test drove was it had an SD card slot in it as well as the usual usb slot. Its neatly hidden so does not look out of place and placed in an area which won't get dirt and dust in it over the years.

Exterior is nice with lots of subtle things you discover as you look over the car. The only thing that I think could of been changed is that it got the mk5 style indicators while the other astra models got a newer style and also that the chrome trim around the windows is not all the way around like on the lower speced ones. These are just small things but they don't detract from the overall feel the car gives you when you look at it. Its got a much wider stance looking at it from the rear which works really well.

Overall needless to say I was impressed and I already had good expectations of it. Should be seeing plenty of these on the road especially at the cost vs value of what you get compared to competitors out there.

ChrisMaz
5th October 2012, 12:20 AM
Ok so I got into a Astra 1.6 GTC today.

First impressions, pretty good.

As with the 1.4 the interior is top notch. Surprisingly roomy in both the front and back of the car and the seats are well bolstered and upholstered in very nice leather.

Now the good stuff. First thing you notice as you take off is the silky smooth gearbox and clutch. The short and precise of the throw gear shifter (Which features an OPC line gearknob) and light clutch allow for easy shifts, as well as catering for a sporty drive. Unlike the 1.4 you don't have to rev it to red line to get it moving and there is a more noticeable feel of being in a turbo "sports" car. Steering wheel feels incredible, its comfortable and contoured to your hand for a real sporty feel. The engine, its good, with a 30KW premium over the 1.4 it certainly makes a huge difference, I was still expecting to have it provide a more intense power curve, but it just boosts all the way through the rev range.
Coming to a hill and being told that the car was fitted with hill start assist was a little unconvincing, as I was being told this by the sales woman, the car was already rolling backwards. It seems you need to be at a complete stop for quite some time before it kicks in. Not sold on this feature or the electronic parking brake. The ride was incredibly comfortable and stable, the 20" rims still feature some relatively large side walled tyres, which I imagine are taking out a few of the bumps. Theres still plenty of room for even larger rims though....

All in all its an impressive car for the amount of money with plenty of kit as standard. However... Premium lighting (AFL lighting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZ2Q2jJNEo)) will set you back an extra $2000 and to upgrade the 19" standard rims to 20" cost you another $1000. Not bad, but personally I would have liked to see the AFL lighting to be standard.