PDA

View Full Version : Opel Release - Test drives

rjastra
23rd August 2012, 11:29 AM
Has anyone booked test drives of the new Opel range?
Got one booked for the GTC on Sept 1 at Sydney City Opel. Look up their facebook page.

Wraith
23rd August 2012, 05:14 PM
I'll be up to give the new AJ OPC/VXR a fang whenever it arrives, probably later next year...

That's the only model/variant I'm interested in :)

mickos
23rd August 2012, 05:32 PM
When the Astra VXR arrives i am keen to check it out see how it goes

poita
23rd August 2012, 06:03 PM
OPC when/if we get it ;)

Jen
23rd August 2012, 06:03 PM
Would love to but don't want to waste anyone's time/make myself sad that I can't buy anything just yet

poita
23rd August 2012, 06:04 PM
Would love to but don't want to waste anyone's time/make myself sad that I can't buy anything just yet

Huge +1 to this

JohnBu
23rd August 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm the same, never test drove a car if i'm not in a position to buy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

metry
24th August 2012, 12:21 PM

+1 :( i wish i had unlimited monies. on a side note my old mans booked in to test drive the 1.6 turbo astra 5 door as a replacement for mums lancer. i might tag along with him. hes pretty keen on one after all he reckons my astra is one of the best cars the family's ever owned

dutchy
24th August 2012, 12:54 PM
No need to test drive here in Oz. I'm going to Holland soon and get a rental anyway. :smile5:

GreyRex
24th August 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm the same, never test drove a car if i'm not in a position to buy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I'm exact same

Not interested in wasting their or my time, just so I can think i'm informed about something I won't buy

hazrd
24th August 2012, 01:04 PM
No need to test drive here in Oz. I'm going to Holland soon and get a rental anyway. :smile5:

Yeah Pete coz we can all do that :lol: wanna shout us all the airfare? :p

dutchy
24th August 2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah Pete coz we can all do that :lol: wanna shout us all the airfare? :p

:lol::lol:

cbrmale
23rd September 2012, 06:13 PM
I have an AH SRi hatch automatic with the 2.2 direct injection engine and I am thinking of replacing it some time next year. I thought the new Opel Astra Sport could be comparable. It has sports suspension, assume similar to the suspension on my Sri, turbo 1.6 with 6-speed gearbox, leather sports seats and so on. So I drove the first one in Canberra and it's not up to scratch. It felt like a Cruze with a little more go and a more up-market interior. The 1.6 turbo was sluggish compared to my 2.2 (it has a lot more kilowatts but they're up towards the redline, and it also has to haul around a lot more weight), the suspension is soft and floppy, the steering is vague and wandery (not enough caster) while the seats are too soft (would not be comfortable on long drives) and lack a fine backrest adjustment. With the lever arrangement for the seat backrest, one position was too upright and the next too laid-back. The worst was the steering and I had to concentrate on steering the car at moderate speeds on urban roads, because it wandered around with the camber of the road. Obviously global engineering has got to GM Europe and the Astra is now built to the lowest common denominator.

The basics of the H (or AH) were right, especially the steering and the agressive suspension setup of the SRi. The J doesn't have enough caster so the steering doesn't kick in your hands like a H, but it lacks feel and tracks like a Hyundai. The sport suspension is soft and floppy and it didn't do anything for me. Also it's too big for what I need (myself or sometimes my wife and I).

Next I went to Skoda and drove a Fabia SR. Now this is a sports model! It has the engine and running gear of the Polo GTI, which is the twin-charge 1.4 with 7-speed DSG. It goes almost as hard as my motorcycle, rockets around bends, well balanced steering and generally the goods. I drove it for about an hour (the salesman gave me the keys and said take it on the Cotter Road, so I did). He knew if I drove it long enough I would want to buy it. Maybe. It's about the right size, looks better in the flesh than on photos, goes well, steers well, handles well, has a lovely raspy exhaust. I will test drive the Polo version, but the Skoda may get the nod on account of it's bigger boot and full-sized spare wheel (don't like space savers when you have a flat 300km from home, as happened with my Astra). My wife and I go away for weekends away or sometimes take the car on holidays, and the Skoda has a big enough boot for our luggage. Both cars are impressive, 0-100 around 7 seconds and rate fuel consumption around 6 litres / 100km.

Pity about the Astra and those road tests in the UK which didn't rate it any more than average were spot on. The new Astra is now closer to a Corolla or a Hyundai than to a Focus or a Golf. Not good enough by a long shot.

rjastra
23rd September 2012, 06:23 PM
Next I went to Skoda and drove a Fabia SR. Now this is a sports model! It has the engine and running gear of the Polo GTI, which is the twin-charge 1.4 with 7-speed DSG. It goes almost as hard as my motorcycle, rockets around bends, well balanced steering and generally the goods. I drove it for about an hour (the salesman gave me the keys and said take it on the Cotter Road, so I did). He knew if I drove it long enough I would want to buy it. Maybe. It's about the right size, looks better in the flesh than on photos, goes well, steers well, handles well, has a lovely raspy exhaust. I will test drive the Polo version, but the Skoda may get the nod on account of it's bigger boot and full-sized spare wheel (don't like space savers when you have a flat 300km from home, as happened with my Astra). My wife and I go away for weekends away or sometimes take the car on holidays, and the Skoda has a big enough boot for our luggage. .

You can get them on road for under 30K! The choice of nice colours, 3 roof colours and 4 wheel colours mean you can customise it.

cbrmale
23rd September 2012, 07:22 PM
What Opel need in Australia is a hot Corsa, not what they have. The Astra is B-I-G. Too big. The Skoda and Polo are around $30,000 on the road, less any discounts you can haggle. Not for the Polo given it's in short-supply but maybe for the Skoda. There is a good range of colours (something the Opel Astra doesn't have have), and I think a blue Skoda with black wheels would look nice. The real trick is the engine / gearbox: it rockets along and sounds great with a nice blend of exhaust rasp and supercharger whine.

poita
23rd September 2012, 07:40 PM
The cars, models and colours that are here are just a tester. Once they figure out the markets and what people are after you will see more variety arriving.

Also these first shipments the dealers have no choice, Opel picked them.

At least give them more than 3 weeks in the country ;)

Wraith
24th September 2012, 12:49 PM
I have an AH SRi hatch automatic with the 2.2 direct injection engine and I am thinking of replacing it some time next year. I thought the new Opel Astra Sport could be comparable. It has sports suspension, assume similar to the suspension on my Sri, turbo 1.6 with 6-speed gearbox, leather sports seats and so on. So I drove the first one in Canberra and it's not up to scratch. It felt like a Cruze with a little more go and a more up-market interior. The 1.6 turbo was sluggish compared to my 2.2 (it has a lot more kilowatts but they're up towards the redline, and it also has to haul around a lot more weight), the suspension is soft and floppy, the steering is vague and wandery (not enough caster) while the seats are too soft (would not be comfortable on long drives) and lack a fine backrest adjustment. With the lever arrangement for the seat backrest, one position was too upright and the next too laid-back. The worst was the steering and I had to concentrate on steering the car at moderate speeds on urban roads, because it wandered around with the camber of the road. Obviously global engineering has got to GM Europe and the Astra is now built to the lowest common denominator.

The basics of the H (or AH) were right, especially the steering and the agressive suspension setup of the SRi. The J doesn't have enough caster so the steering doesn't kick in your hands like a H, but it lacks feel and tracks like a Hyundai. The sport suspension is soft and floppy and it didn't do anything for me. Also it's too big for what I need (myself or sometimes my wife and I).

Next I went to Skoda and drove a Fabia SR. Now this is a sports model! It has the engine and running gear of the Polo GTI, which is the twin-charge 1.4 with 7-speed DSG. It goes almost as hard as my motorcycle, rockets around bends, well balanced steering and generally the goods. I drove it for about an hour (the salesman gave me the keys and said take it on the Cotter Road, so I did). He knew if I drove it long enough I would want to buy it. Maybe. It's about the right size, looks better in the flesh than on photos, goes well, steers well, handles well, has a lovely raspy exhaust. I will test drive the Polo version, but the Skoda may get the nod on account of it's bigger boot and full-sized spare wheel (don't like space savers when you have a flat 300km from home, as happened with my Astra). My wife and I go away for weekends away or sometimes take the car on holidays, and the Skoda has a big enough boot for our luggage. Both cars are impressive, 0-100 around 7 seconds and rate fuel consumption around 6 litres / 100km.

Pity about the Astra and those road tests in the UK which didn't rate it any more than average were spot on. The new Astra is now closer to a Corolla or a Hyundai than to a Focus or a Golf. Not good enough by a long shot.

Interesting and informative review cbrmale, thanks for sharing...

As previously mentioned on my initial static inspections of the new AJ, I too agree that the new Astra is too big for my liking as well, it certainly dosn't appear that porky from pics or clips :(

Despite that I look forward to test driving the new AJ OPC when it arrives to derive my own overall conclusions on that variant as I'll be in the market to buy a hi po hatch in the not too distant future...

adam_92
24th September 2012, 02:48 PM
as I'll be in the market to buy a hi po hatch in the not too distant future...

Have you had a look at the new MB a250 that is coming next year. Iv heard its absolutely amazing and being a MB its guaranteed to be better than every car on the road...

Feelinlucky75
24th September 2012, 03:10 PM
:popcorn:

rjastra
24th September 2012, 03:38 PM
What Opel need in Australia is a hot Corsa, not what they have.

It won't happen with this model Corsa. It's ancient.

guy 27
24th September 2012, 03:48 PM
It won't happen with this model Corsa. It's ancient.

does that matter? its a new car to Australia. given that its been overseas for a few years it makes it an easier choice for buyers to look into reliability with them. the OPC Corsa is decent little hot hatch.

I'm also surprised how many of you find the astra too big. I had my G parked next to a gtc and its not that much larger physically although it does appear to be. If anything I was expecting it to be bigger.

2002_XC
24th September 2012, 03:57 PM
does that matter? its a new car to Australia. given that its been overseas for a few years it makes it an easier choice for buyers to look into reliability with them. the OPC Corsa is decent little hot hatch.

I'm also surprised how many of you find the astra too big. I had my G parked next to a gtc and its not that much larger physically although it does appear to be. If anything I was expecting it to be bigger.

Agreed. who cares? It's a new car to the Australian market.

rjastra
24th September 2012, 07:21 PM
Agreed. who cares? It's a new car to the Australian market.

If I suggested to anyone to buy a car released originally in 2006/7 they would be appalled ;) New one based on Daewoo Barina should be out in the not to distance future.

Can anyone else explain why they released the old model Insignia here when the new model is only a months away?

guy 27
24th September 2012, 07:25 PM
If I suggested to anyone to buy a car released originally in 2006/7 they would be appalled ;) New one based on Daewoo Barina should be out in the not to distance future.

Can anyone else explain why they released the old model Insignia here when the new model is only a months away?

Daewoo barina compared to the Opel Corsa is a very big difference in terms of build quality, finish and how long it will last.

Also in regards to the insignia. Its just a face lift that in all honesty is not a very big difference. Many people prefer the pre-face lift to the facelift so it does not matter.

Nurb608
24th September 2012, 07:25 PM

To get the name out there? Can only release what you have at the time.

Wraith
25th September 2012, 01:05 PM
Have you had a look at the new MB a250 that is coming next year. Iv heard its absolutely amazing and being a MB its guaranteed to be better than every car on the road...

Yes well, all jokes aside since you asked the choice for me would be between the upcoming AMG A45 not A250 and the OPC Astra...

Big differences overall and in price point, my preference is towards a 5 door hatch configuration but I want to fully explore the new OPC before any final decision...

I've already cut out the new BMW 135i and Audi RS3...

rjastra
25th September 2012, 01:40 PM
To get the name out there? Can only release what you have at the time.

Or you don't release the model until the new stuff is out. The Corsa has been reported here as having an outdated interior, optimistic pricing and outclassed drivetrains.
Insignia - you are asking people to stumped up big $$$ (comparitively speaking) for an unknown quantity for it to be superceded in a matter of months. How does that build the brand image?

And when will people stop dragging the old "Daewoo Barina" bashing crap out? The current Barina is on a newer platform than the Corsa. The Corsa will end up riding on that platform.

There doesn't seem to be a urge by current Astra owners to jump into the new model... Seems a bit of "meh" attitude - not really as good as we expected.

2002_XC
25th September 2012, 01:56 PM

thats your opinion.

Think about it this way, A generation 2 car always out sells its Gen 1 counterpart. People with automotive knowledge will not buy a gen 1 until the bugs are fixed with a gen 2.

Same principal applies. I'd prefer a car released in 07 to a brand spanking new one. at least i know any issues are ironed out and fixed, any recalls are done and that the quality will be better than the first.

Opel are attempting to re-establish their business. They would be stupid to bring out every variant in every model on launch. They would waste stupid amounts of money and have no gain. This way, they are testing the market, seeing what the clients want and then they will expand the range. I want a manual insignia. I was disappointed that they are only available in auto. I also know that eventually, if there is enough interest, they will be made available.

If you dont like it because they havent imported anything to your standards, thats your problem, not theirs.

Back on topic...

For what its worth, I've test driven 3. I loved all 3. (corsa 1.4, auto astra select 1.6 petrol, auto astra diesel)

When the dealership has the manual 1.6 astra petrol and the manual diesel available for test drive, ill be going. I think they have huge potential based on their current range.

Nurb608
25th September 2012, 03:47 PM
Or you don't release the model until the new stuff is out. The Corsa has been reported here as having an outdated interior, optimistic pricing and outclassed drivetrains.
Insignia - you are asking people to stumped up big $$$ (comparitively speaking) for an unknown quantity for it to be superceded in a matter of months. How does that build the brand image?

So to your thinking, you'd release a brand with a single car?

JohnBu
25th September 2012, 04:20 PM
So to your thinking, you'd release a brand with a single car?

Works well enough for McLaren! :lol:

Nurb608
25th September 2012, 06:27 PM
Works well enough for McLaren! :lol:

smartass :p