PDA

View Full Version : Good non touch screen phones

xplosv57
22nd August 2012, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

Im after a new phone, and i'd like a new iPhone but they are so exxy and after my near-nervous-breakdown experience with my HTC Mozart 7, i am very reluctant to get another touch screen.

However, are there any new phones out there that have the screen clarity and features on an iPhone but aren't touch screen. Blackberry's seem very behind in regards to that side of things.

Cheers,
Steve.

adam_92
22nd August 2012, 02:28 PM
i personally still like the nokia n95 8gb. its getting quite outdated now though.

xplosv57
22nd August 2012, 04:04 PM
That was the last phone I had before the HTC and actually did look them up on eBay this morning! Under 200 brand new!

ChrisMaz
22nd August 2012, 04:51 PM
So I take it you want decent web browsing capabilities? Go the N95. Used to own one and its still the best phone I've ever owned. Although the Samsung Galaxy series phones are excellent. Never had a problem with mine.

If not, go the drug dealer route and just buy a $50 burner from your nearest servo :p

chris_r
22nd August 2012, 07:44 PM
Given that apart from the Blackberry phones, there's bugger all smartphones that aren't touchscreen now. BB phones aren't really that far behind, they're more or less aimed at business users, therefore the user experience is different to that of Android/iOs environments. As ChrisMaz said, the Galaxy phones are awesome. I've got a S2 that has survived a couple of drops and works so well. I run CM9 (Android 4.0.4/ICS) on mine, it's fast, smooth and stable. Why anyone would consider the outdated iPhone4/4S over a Galaxy S2 or even S3 is beyond me.

My last non-touchscreen phone was a Nokia E71. It was the biggest pile of crap ever, I had screens replaced, keyboards, you name it, I fixed it. I think it was at that point when Nokia started cutting corners to compete with the newer touchscreen phones. As for HTC phones, I think they're usually on the lower end of the quality scale, although they've made some pretty good phones over the years (Palm Treo 750 was an awesome phone), but there's no consistency in the quality of their products like there is usually with Samsung.

adam_92
22nd August 2012, 08:38 PM
iv got a htc desire hd, never had any problems with it except the battery gave up but that was probably more the way that i was charging it. took it into the store and they replaced battery under warranty. had a n95 8gb before it and didnt have any problems with that. iv actually considered getting rid of my htc and going back to my n95...

hazrd
22nd August 2012, 09:01 PM
without sounding like a broken record, you are hard pressed for a non touch screen phone nowadays unless you are prepared to go back to old school like the N95. Even blackberry now comes with the best of both worlds, you have the buttons, but can also use the screen as a touch (which is pretty cool i reckon)

I would suggest a HTC oneX or Galaxy S3, but being both touch, not suiting your requirement. I would go either the N95, the N85, or maybe the nokia verison of a blackberry, the nokia E5, which is still considered a smartphone, and has a better screen than the 85/95

JohnBu
23rd August 2012, 04:11 PM
What Adam said..

Not that I'm promoting apple, but touch wood, between Vanice and myself, we have owned the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S all without any problems...

Vanice's contract for her 4 runs out about now, but she'll wait for the 5 which should be released shortly.

At the time I though the HTC was an old choice.

If I were to get a new phone today, it would be the Samsung GS3, or wait a couple of months for the iPhone 5.

mickos
23rd August 2012, 05:57 PM
All the phones need is a decent cover like otterbox or griffin to protect them, i also have never had any problems from 4 of the iphones. If you ever sell them once dated the covers protect them like new.

xplosv57
23rd August 2012, 10:02 PM
I also have a 3GS and was fine till it started to turn off randomly and deleted all my text messages.

Might go back to that till the iPhone 5 comes out, then get the 4S on a cheaper contract.

Or might get a 5110 and start clubbing people in the head!!

JohnBu
23rd August 2012, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately the price of the just superseded iPhones aren't crash hot.

If you do go the 5110 route, don't forget to change the cover and also modify the LED backlight colour.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

xplosv57
23rd August 2012, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately the price of the just superseded iPhones aren't crash hot.

If you do go the 5110 route, don't forget to change the cover and also modify the LED backlight colour.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I'd have a better chance of retaining my current Telstra contract with the 4S though!

HSV cover, blue LED's and the multi coloured flasher antenna all in store, as well as the custom ringtone made by the keypad!!

hazrd
24th August 2012, 08:29 AM
And don't get angry at the phone by throwing it at the ground. You will have to fly to china to get it back