PDA

View Full Version : Painting Rims

Gsi_Bryce
13th August 2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive currently got a set of calibra rims on my corsa b they measure 205/50R15, i like them because of the width :D

im thinking of painting them from the standard silver to a gloss black,

has anyone tried painting there rims? does it last on the wheels etc?

sooty
13th August 2012, 06:46 PM
it's all in the prep work and patience, lots of sanding, good priming, slow layers of paint, then finishing with a clear.
you'll never quite achieve the 2k finish, but you can get an awesome result, just gotta have the patience

guy 27
13th August 2012, 06:50 PM
it's all in the prep work and patience, lots of sanding, good priming, slow layers of paint, then finishing with a clear.
you'll never quite achieve the 2k finish, but you can get an awesome result, just gotta have the patience

+1

just remember that the wheels cop a lot of dirt and contaminants so make sure you use decent quality paints otherwise it won't take long for them to loose their luster.

all my wheels are done in 2k to last through what i put them through.

Gsi_Bryce
13th August 2012, 06:51 PM
Yes i have the patience, ive done painting before on plastics, its good that the rims are in good condition no gutter rash or anything :thumbs: few scratches thats it not much a sand cant fix, i saw a video that the guys from MCM (mighty car mods) posted on youtube not sure if your familar with there videos but they are good,

ive had a mate that painted his and his paint came off from the edgers, guess he probably didnt do a good job of it :lol:

Gsi_Bryce
13th August 2012, 06:53 PM
any paints you recommend? and what do you mean by 2k?

guy 27
13th August 2012, 06:57 PM
any paints you recommend? and what do you mean by 2k?

2k is 2 pack paint. its the same paint as the car body. its a 2 part system with the base and a hardner. its not a diy material due to the health risks using it.

it would be my recommendation as, I did an old set of wheels just using spray cans and within a week the finish looked terrible on them due to their exposure to the heat on the track and then a few days of rain. then again i'm sure there are better spray can paints out there than the only fluro orange i could find at the time.

[OPCSRi]
31st August 2012, 11:38 AM
Get wheels powder coated. I just had a set done which they blasted the old paint off and reapplied in satin black. Very good finish.

Gsi_Bryce
2nd September 2012, 09:16 PM
What's the cost on a job like that and types of places that do it (very hard to find places in a country town lol)

[OPCSRi]
2nd September 2012, 09:25 PM
For the 20's I had got done it cost $600 the whole wheel covered.

gman
3rd September 2012, 07:52 PM
I did my track wheels in fluro green and it is all in the prep and spray.

Lots of light coats rather than a few heavy ones to build up the colour, prime the surface first properly.

Prep should be wash, sand, clean, key surface, clean, prime, colour, clear, polish then allow to cure properly.

Getting them powder coated is probably better but DIY is more rewarding when you get it right. :)

guy 27
3rd September 2012, 07:55 PM
also with powdercoating you can't have any imperfections. as if there are any you need to metal fill them. if the wheels are new or in great condition its not an issue but any scuff marks i would suggest paint over powdercoating.