PDA

View Full Version : EU Regulations For New Cars to Have AEB

poita
7th August 2012, 12:16 AM
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/08/eu-autonomous-braking-law/

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/projects/report_aebs_en.pdf

New European regulations have passed that will require new cars to have autonomous emergency braking (AEB). From 2014 onward, the Euro NCAP will include AEB in its assessment of new cars, which will make it impossible for any model without the tech to achieve a five-star safety rating.

Philippe Jean of the European Commission said that all commercial vehicles will need to be fitted with the technology by November next year.

AEB uses radar, laser, or video to sense an impending collision. The software then primes the brakes, or applies them if the situation is too far gone. The hope is that the safety tech will be particularly effective with front-end impacts, such as in heavy traffic. Besides stopping rear-ending crashes that clog up freeways, the required systems will also sense pedestrians in the roadway and apply the brakes before impact.

The European Comission carried out a study that found vehicles fitted with this technology reduced traffic accidents by 27 percent, which translates to 8,000 deaths prevented and between £3.9 ($6.05) billion and £6.3 ($9.7) billion saved each year.

Philippe Jean said of the Euro NCAP crash test organization, “Our studies indicate that the resulting reduction in congestion due to accidents would represent an economic value of about €100 million in Germany alone.” The NCAP also said that 79 percent of the cars currently on sale in Europe are not fitted with the technology.

ChrisMaz
7th August 2012, 12:36 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/162034_310949058963407_1622602692_n.jpg

I can see this becoming super intrusive.

poita
7th August 2012, 12:43 AM
Wonder if it can be disabled? Track days will be a pita with it :lol:

xplosv57
7th August 2012, 01:52 AM
Track days will be a pita with it :lol:

How so? It applies the brakes if it senses you're about to hit a car or pedestrian in front of you.

On a track, it'd be the same, if it senses you're travelling too quickly to the object in front, it'll stop for you!!

ChrisMaz
7th August 2012, 02:04 AM
Pete clearly races Demo Derby.

Vectracious
7th August 2012, 07:33 AM
I can see what p1 and Chris mean. On a track you might be following someone fairly closely through a corner, it thinks your going to hit them, brakes go on emergency and the guy behind you goes right into the back.

Nurb608
7th August 2012, 09:05 AM
I can see what p1 and Chris mean. On a track you might be following someone fairly closely through a corner, it thinks your going to hit them, brakes go on emergency and the guy behind you goes right into the back.

Or worse still, back swings around because it braked mid corner

Vectracious
7th August 2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe on the models that are likely to be tracked they'll have to look at adding the ability to disable it.

Hoss
7th August 2012, 09:11 AM
More control taken away from the driver....I don't know if that's such a good thing. I suppose if you have to concentrate less on driving, people will have more time to fiddle with important things like their ICE, social media or make-up! It will be interesting driving while the car fleet is a mixture of cars with and without AEB.

xplosv57
7th August 2012, 01:56 PM

The system will only automatically brake for you if there is a large speed difference in the calculated braking distance between you and the car in front, even if you're following someone close into a corner, you would still be doing a similar speed through the corner and therefore the system would not activate.

ChrisMaz
7th August 2012, 02:06 PM
I'd like to know more about the pedestrian detection side of it though. What is the line between the system locking up the brakes when someone steps into the street?

Vectracious
7th August 2012, 02:44 PM
The system will only automatically brake for you if there is a large speed difference in the calculated braking distance between you and the car in front, even if you're following someone close into a corner, you would still be doing a similar speed through the corner and therefore the system would not activate.

It's a computer program, which means if something does not fit into the parameters, it will do something weird. On a track, a lot of things are different compared to the road - I still maintain that something like this will misbehave if there is no way of turning it off in a race setting....

Also how will the system take into account if you've modded your car and put a massive set of Brembos in it and you can stop a lot later compared to stock? The speed differential will be different from your car and the other, it will think you can crash, but your stopping distance has decreased by 30m - so you weren't at risk of crashing anyway - but it will still put your brakes on for you.

Hoss, also makes a very valid point. We've all heard the story of the guy in the Winnebago who put it on cruise control then walked out the back to make himself a coffee because he thought that "cruise control" did everything. So we will have idiots on the road that will think - oh I can tweet about my :boorny: because I know the car will stop itself if I'm not paying attention..

JohnBu
7th August 2012, 02:58 PM
I have it on the XC60, however, it's only there to protect pedestrians and therefore only works at low speeds of say under 30/kph.

Also works if you accidently release your foot on the brakes at traffic lights.

Yes you can turn it off... No I am not going to volunteer to stand in front of a moving 1,900kg vehicle to test if it works.

metry
7th August 2012, 03:21 PM
i have mixed opinions on this. i dont like the idea personally because people will thus become to reliant on the car stopping for them

JohnBu
7th August 2012, 04:21 PM
Not really..

It's for emergencies only and the car will apply maximum braking force, you wouldn't let the car brake for you just because you could.

Vectracious
7th August 2012, 04:36 PM
But people will pay less attention because they think oh well the car can do it for me if I miss something.

xplosv57
7th August 2012, 05:30 PM
I don't think people will become that self reliant on AEB. People didn't start slamming on their brakes hard all the time when ABS came out, nor did people start swerving hard everywhere when stability control programmes were released. It's a safety system in the background, that if required, will be there.

And it can be turned off, I had a BMW video on how the whole emergency braking system/auto stop works but can't find it, uses a kind of fighter pilot scope to judge obstacles distance and speed.

I wouldn't use it, but it's a good system for the everyday motorist.

Jen
7th August 2012, 09:58 PM
I think it's along the same lines as reverse sensors/cameras. Great bits of technology but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who don't bother physically turning their heads anymore as the car will tell them there is something there. I do like the idea of this technology though and have been keen on it since I first read about it but I know how to drive and would use it for its intended purpose ie to avoid a collision/silly pedestrian whereas I know there will be a lot of "look mum no hands" mentality from the general public. I would feel safer out there though if all cars have it as there are a lot of silly drivers out there

Hoss
8th August 2012, 12:42 PM
Or worse still, back swings around because it braked mid corner

Hey Rory, don't you drive like that now :smile5:

poita
8th August 2012, 12:50 PM
guy 27 and gman both do

Nurb608
8th August 2012, 02:22 PM
Hey Rory, don't you drive like that now :smile5:

guy 27 and gman both do

What Pete said :)

rjastra
8th August 2012, 11:22 PM
Most common systems only work at 30km/h and under.

Though expensive radar cruise controls on luxo cars can do similar at high speeds.