PDA

View Full Version : Performance Drive Review

Nurb608
4th August 2012, 10:32 AM
Do journalists even research when they write these articles?

In terms of the competition, a Volkswagen Golf GTI with its 2.0-litre turbo will out-accelerate the GTC Sport, covering 0-100km/h in 6.9 seconds. Even the Polo GTI three-door – offering the exact same power (132kW) comes with a more sporting power-to-weight ratio of 9.0kg:kW (it’s even in the vehicle segment below the GTC). The Polo does 0-100km/h in just 7.0 seconds. It is a lot lighter though, weighing in at just 1189kg.

The GTC isnt exactly competing against the Golf GTI, and then comparing it to the Polo GTI, saying that its better even though its in a segment under the GTC :rolleyes5:

http://performancedrive.com.au/2012-opel-astra-gtc-review-australian-launch/

Only good aspect of their report was how they liked the handling. Given they were comparing that against the Golf, I have hign hopes for the OPC.

hazrd
4th August 2012, 11:29 AM
wow they are really haning onto the golf comparison arent they. still a good review though... and we sat in that very one before anyone else did :D

Hoss
4th August 2012, 11:55 AM
I like the look of the GTC. The Sport's price of $34990 is the same as the XR5's a few years ago. I hope the storage capacity for nick-knacks has improved over the H.

Eastside Opel
4th August 2012, 01:49 PM
I think it was a glowing review.
The Insignia review was even better.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2012-opel-insignia-review-australian-launch/

metry
6th August 2012, 12:18 PM
wasnt a bad review but it shouldnt be compared to a golf gti. maybe a normal golf tsi or whatever

rjastra
8th August 2012, 11:25 PM
wasnt a bad review but it shouldnt be compared to a golf gti. maybe a normal golf tsi or whatever

I think the natural competitor to the GTC 1.6T will be the Veloster Turbo. Same sort of image sensitive market.
I don't think a Golf GTI is a natural competitor.

2002_XC
9th August 2012, 07:37 AM
They will never compare them to the Hyundai. They are trying to market it as a premium brand which Hyundai will never be. they are right to compare to vw.

hazrd
9th August 2012, 12:08 PM
I agree on both counts however on a completely unbiased note, the GTC comparing to the GTI you have to admit is strange considering their differences in power.

If the GTC had another 10 or so kw in the motor it would make more sense imo :)

Doesnt stop me from wanting my Graphite black GTC with the 20" wheel option though :D

Eastside Opel
9th August 2012, 12:22 PM
My stock is arriving next week.
Whooooooooooooo:woohoo1:

rjastra
9th August 2012, 01:15 PM
They will never compare them to the Hyundai. They are trying to market it as a premium brand which Hyundai will never be. they are right to compare to vw.

Huh? The magazines and buying public will compare them. Nothing to do with Opel.

gmonkey
9th August 2012, 01:25 PM

+1.completely agree, veloster and astra are two different markets really ones budget sports hatch and one is medium to premium sports hatch

Jen
9th August 2012, 02:54 PM
My stock is arriving next week.
Whooooooooooooo:woohoo1:

Closed showroom then or is there a sneaky peak chance through the window?

Eastside Opel
9th August 2012, 04:38 PM
Showroom being built, but everyone is more then welcome to come touch & feel the cars.

We should get a list together of people wanting to have a preview of the cars before launch???

gmonkey
9th August 2012, 04:50 PM
Showroom being built, but everyone is more then welcome to come touch & feel the cars.

We should get a list together of people wanting to have a preview of the cars before launch???

you can find a complete list of all members at the top of the page ;-):-P

Nurb608
9th August 2012, 05:16 PM

I'll be in for that as I'm racing at Winton on launch day :(

poita
9th August 2012, 06:28 PM
Great idea!

I have some info to send you tonight Eastside Opel

Will hopefully remember :lol:

hazrd
9th August 2012, 06:54 PM

Gary - sorry ive been a bit slack returning your email :lol:
As per Pete's message above. Will let you know some numbers etc. Would be fantastic to have an OpelAus mini meet to see these things :)

You have my email address now so we'll be in touch :D

Eastside Opel
10th August 2012, 09:57 AM
I might even come out to Winton with a GTC to display there.:idea:

poita
10th August 2012, 10:03 AM

Test laps?

Eastside Opel
10th August 2012, 10:14 AM
Would be nice, but insurance wont allow it

poita
10th August 2012, 10:27 AM
lol i could imagine the issues.

Nurb608
10th August 2012, 11:15 AM

That would be awesome!

rjastra
18th August 2012, 12:48 PM
VXR vs Focus ST

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/trackdayvideos/286246/2012_ford_focus_st_vs_vauxhall_astra_vxr_video.htm l

Wraith
20th August 2012, 12:52 PM
Interesting...

The Astra also looks a hell of a lot better too :D

faneca
20th August 2012, 04:16 PM
Interesting...

The Astra also looks a hell of a lot better too :D

+1
Can't say I'm much of a fan of the new look focus, just looks way too different to the previous models that. And it looks really heavy too

Wraith
21st August 2012, 12:45 PM
+1
Can't say I'm much of a fan of the new look focus, just looks way too different to the previous models that. And it looks really heavy too

Agree, but will admit it's grown alot on me lately...

Been seeing lots of them around, so they must be selling well and am getting used to the look, but given a choice I'd still rather have the previous LV model/shape.

IMO here in Aust. the main competition for the new VXR won't be the new ST Focus anyway, it'll be from the VAG Golf and Scirocco lets see a proper head to head comparo of the AJ OPC vs Scirocco and Golf R :D

ChrisMaz
27th August 2012, 03:48 PM
Saw this last month on West TV (Crappy community station that airs DW TV's Drive It Program)

http://www.dw.de/dw/episode/0,,16075190,00.html#16115508

Scroll up and on the Right side there will be a video for the Astra. Couldn't direct link it