PDA

View Full Version : any scan tools recommend??

RetteLot
27th July 2012, 01:30 PM
check engine light flashing all the time
wanna get one scan tool to read codes and have a pedal test

i saw GM Tech2 at uobd2
heard about it is the best scan tool for Opel
but it's expensive

any good online sellers and not too over priced that can scan my Opel ASTRA, 2010???
thanks!!!!

mickos
27th July 2012, 01:35 PM
Opcom

03srit
27th July 2012, 02:02 PM
As said opcom will give you a lot of options. But if you just want a code reader and you have an android phone, just get a Bluetooth obd2 and download an app called Torque.

dutchy
27th July 2012, 03:51 PM
Get an Opcom as it'll do so much more.

chris_r
27th July 2012, 10:50 PM
Depends on what you want to do in particular. If you just want to read codes and generic running data, the bluetooth ELM327 and the Torque app for Android will do. If you have an iPhone, you'll need a wifi capable version of the adapter, as Apple screws users on the fact the only BT capable devices you can connect to an iPhone are audio devices only.

However, if you want to access immobiliser functions, etc., go for the OPCOM. You'll need a PC of sorts to use one. Personally, I just use my HP netbook. OPCOM is as close as you can get to the GM Tech 2 without emptying your bank account.

Both the BT ELM327 adapter and OPCOM can be found on eBay. However, pretty much all of these adapters are clones of the real deal, hence why they are cheap. Still, they usually do the job for what you will probably need.

Bobarache
29th July 2012, 12:35 AM
I just found this on EBay. Does it look ok guys ? Pretty cheap eh....

http://offer.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/bid?cmd=MEC_AUTO&itemId=160852290270

chris_r
30th July 2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like the one I have, although I bought mine a couple of years ago. Worst you can do is buy it and it doesn't work. At that price, it wouldn't be too much of a loss if it doesn't work.

RetteLot
30th July 2012, 07:37 PM
Depends on what you want to do in particular. If you just want to read codes and generic running data, the bluetooth ELM327 and the Torque app for Android will do. If you have an iPhone, you'll need a wifi capable version of the adapter, as Apple screws users on the fact the only BT capable devices you can connect to an iPhone are audio devices only.

However, if you want to access immobiliser functions, etc., go for the OPCOM. You'll need a PC of sorts to use one. Personally, I just use my HP netbook. OPCOM is as close as you can get to the GM Tech 2 without emptying your bank account.

Both the BT ELM327 adapter and OPCOM can be found on eBay. However, pretty much all of these adapters are clones of the real deal, hence why they are cheap. Still, they usually do the job for what you will probably need.

I found this ELM327 adapter
http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/elm327-vgate-scan-advanced-obd2-scan-tool.html
for andriod and symbian

much more cheaper than Tech2
and problem solved!!

thanks!

chris_r
30th July 2012, 09:58 PM
You could probably get a similar item off ebay for half that price, including shipping. As long as your PC or phone supports Bluetooth, you can hook it up to it, it's just the software you need to get. I don't know so much about what you'd run on a Nokia/Symbian device, but for Android, pay the few dollars it will cost for Torque from the Play Store. It works brilliantly with my Galaxy S2 (running CM9 RC2/ICS 4.0.4) and my Toshiba AT100/Thrive tablet ("Honeycomb" 3.2).

For iPhones/iPads which require a Wi-Fi based ELM327, the app to get is DashCommand or something like that. For PC, I'd say the best app to use with the ELM327 is Scantool.

But if you're only going to use a OBDII reader on an Astra, the clone OP-COMs off ebay are worth the slight extra investment over the ELM327. If you ever need to replace a key, you need to get it reprogrammed. Usually, this can only be done by a good locksmith or Holden dealer and it will cost you more than what you pay for the OP-COM. Buy an OP-COM, get a replacement key online and program itself. Only other thing you need is your keypass, but if you don't have it, it'll cost about $25, unless you know someone. I know that a Holden dealer in Adelaide will slug around $300 for a Vectra C key all programmed. You may not ever need this, but if you do, the OP-COM can save you a decent amount of money.

RetteLot
31st July 2012, 05:18 PM
You could probably get a similar item off ebay for half that price, including shipping. As long as your PC or phone supports Bluetooth, you can hook it up to it, it's just the software you need to get. I don't know so much about what you'd run on a Nokia/Symbian device, but for Android, pay the few dollars it will cost for Torque from the Play Store. It works brilliantly with my Galaxy S2 (running CM9 RC2/ICS 4.0.4) and my Toshiba AT100/Thrive tablet ("Honeycomb" 3.2).

For iPhones/iPads which require a Wi-Fi based ELM327, the app to get is DashCommand or something like that. For PC, I'd say the best app to use with the ELM327 is Scantool.

But if you're only going to use a OBDII reader on an Astra, the clone OP-COMs off ebay are worth the slight extra investment over the ELM327. If you ever need to replace a key, you need to get it reprogrammed. Usually, this can only be done by a good locksmith or Holden dealer and it will cost you more than what you pay for the OP-COM. Buy an OP-COM, get a replacement key online and program itself. Only other thing you need is your keypass, but if you don't have it, it'll cost about $25, unless you know someone. I know that a Holden dealer in Adelaide will slug around $300 for a Vectra C key all programmed. You may not ever need this, but if you do, the OP-COM can save you a decent amount of money.

so far
this ELM327 is quite good for me
Vgate Scan Advanced OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool

the OP-COMs you were saying
like this one??
just a disc??
http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/opcom-op-com-2010-v-can-obd2-opel-free-shipping-2565.html