PDA

View Full Version : Stupid/basic question about ADSL

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 08:21 PM
Can someone please just confirm this for me

1. ADSL is not like cable so if I have a 1500K connection, I should get 1500K connection no matter what is going on at the exchange, the town, the suburb etc

2. The only times that I shouldn't be getting full download speeds is
a. if there is another computer on my private network downloading at the same time so if I run a speedtest on my PC, it comes up slow
b. the ADSL provider has a shit service.

guy 27
25th July 2012, 08:26 PM
the further you are from the exchange the slower your service will be as well.

for instance we're on a adsl2+ setup here. we are 9km cable length away from exchange. 350kb/s download speeds max. if it rains it slows down but i think thats an issue with provider.

poita
25th July 2012, 08:29 PM
ADSL is very dependant on line distance from exchange, number of people in exchange, how much traffic, line quality.

I have 20mb adsl2+ and only get 5mb at most

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 08:37 PM
ok - what about your basic standard ADSL 1 at 1500kb/s

I know that ADSL 2+ depends a lot on the exchange, etc etc, but not talking about that.

I've checked speedtest.net all night and the best I've gotten is 0.17Mbps - I think that's ridiculous for a business grade 1.5Mbps connection.

This is for the shop BTW. Our ISP is our POS company, they just on-sell someone elses product. Have complained about this so many times, but tonight it's really annoyed me. Problem is, by the time they respond to any calls, whatever was f*cking it up has gone and it's back to normal.....

Nurb608
25th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Do you have to use them? I'm gathering you do which sucks, but if not, go out on your own as that is crap!

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 08:44 PM
Do you have to use them? I'm gathering you do which sucks, but if not, go out on your own as that is crap!

Don't have to use them, its was just easier to have them look after everything, but it's getting to the point where I'd rather go through the headf*ck of churning to another provider in the hope that I get a better connection.

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 08:45 PM
we've also got integrated EFTPOS that runs through their data centre, not sure what the go is there and whether we need to use them for internet because they also do my EFTPOS

Nurb608
25th July 2012, 08:46 PM
we've also got integrated EFTPOS that runs through their data centre, not sure what the go is there and whether we need to use them for internet because they also do my EFTPOS

EFTPOS should run seperate to your internet connection.

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 08:47 PM
not ours - it runs via the net - when the net goes down, it falls back onto dialup - which is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Nurb608
25th July 2012, 08:55 PM
not ours - it runs via the net - when the net goes down, it falls back onto dialup - which is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Ah crap, it's one of those types!

You might have to find out from your eftpos company and maybe threaten to change if your not under contract......unless they give you a free choice of ISP

Vectracious
25th July 2012, 10:26 PM
I'll have to check that out with the EFTPOS

but going back to the original question - that's too much of a drop with ADSL 1?

Also, is there any other good speed measurement sites other than speedtest.net?

hazrd
25th July 2012, 10:39 PM
The only other one i know of is the optus one

http://speedtest.mel.optusnet.com.au

Or syd for Sydney

chrissn89
26th July 2012, 07:20 AM
Try downloading itunes from apple if your download speed is 150kbps then the connection is downloading at its maximum. Also when you do a speedtest what ping are you getting? under 75 is acceptable.

MAD-16V
26th July 2012, 10:42 AM
In your router/modem's settings are you syncing at 1500kbps? - What are your signal to noise ratios on your lines? ( should be listed next to sync speed )

Vectracious
26th July 2012, 08:35 PM
Will get screenshots of these tomorrow. Can't remember the sync speed.

Numbnut
27th July 2012, 04:11 PM
Where abouts are you? Are you using the TYRO terminal? Surely the net based one is better than having to pay for another line or sharing it with the fax.

For home use I've got Cable and it's not that great, varies between 10-20mgb down and 1-1.5 up (these speeds aren't bad btw but I'm getting the same speed as my old ADSL2+). Rated at 30 but I've never seen it at that and have noticed my speed declining.
I call Telstra to ask why I'm slow and dropping out and they were doing line upgrades to make way for higher speed modem. So I think they may be shaping people to encourage the upgrade. B**stards.

Your net speed may be due to maintenance.

How long has your connection been waining?
I'd have a look at Internode and def get ADSL2+ if it's available.