PDA

View Full Version : Opcom

camncam
24th July 2012, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

I was just introduced to the concept of an Op Com to manage fault codes (I think). I can't find anywhere to buy one in Australia. Does anyone know how i could get one in Australia other than trying to buy one from Ebay UK and havit sent over?

I have an 06 AH Astra in case that matters.

mickos
24th July 2012, 02:59 PM
From what i have read and spoke to most ppl purchase from OS

Nurb608
24th July 2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, got mine from the uk

poita
24th July 2012, 04:26 PM
Posted from UK is probably quicker anyway lol

chris_r
24th July 2012, 06:44 PM
To be honest, all of the under $100 OP-COMs on ebay are in fact clones of the real deal. However, they still work perfectly in most cases. I have both a clone OP-COM and a bluetooth ELM327 that I got for $15 from ebay. If it's just codes you want to read, get a bluetooth ELM327 and an app for your Android phone called Torque (It's a paid for app, but works sweet on Android phones. If you've got an iPhone, you need to get a Wi-Fi based ELM327 (more $$$ compared to BT based). iPhones don't like connecting anything via bluetooth except audio devices.

Where the OP-COM differs is that you can do more functions, like program the immobiliser and the keys, which can often save you more than what you pay for the programmer. The ELM327 isn't able to do this as Opel have specific coding in the ECU to allow only GM Tech 2 machines to perform these functions. OP-COM is designed to circumvent this by emulating a Tech 2 machine.

But yeah, because the OP-COM units on ebay are clones, the software included isn't really legit either. I guess that's also why most sellers are OS. UK is probably the best place to get one from, but even then, half of them say UK and they end up based in China anyway.

dutchy
24th July 2012, 09:26 PM
I've got the cheaper, probably China clone, version and it works very well. Does all I want it to do and all it needs to do. Am using it on an Astra G though. On ebay it probably says for which cars / engines it'll work.

Bobarache
24th July 2012, 10:06 PM
Do these clones work ok on W7 guys ?

chris_r
24th July 2012, 11:00 PM
Mine does, on the 32bit version. Haven't tried it on 64bit as I only use it on a netbook.

Nurb608
24th July 2012, 11:31 PM
Mine does, on the 32bit version. Haven't tried it on 64bit as I only use it on a netbook.

Yep, works on a 64