PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Potenza Re-11 vs Yokohama Advan Neovas AD08 vs Hankook Ventus RS-3

mickos
17th July 2012, 11:55 AM
I am looking to get some new tyres in coming months

1)Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08
or
2)Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
or
3)Hankook Ventus R-S3

These are available from www.tirerack.com

Sizes will be 235 35 19
I am leaning towards the Advans
Whats ppls opinions?
Anyon used the Re-11s or Ventus R-S3s?

Car is daily driven with occasional track day thrown in

Cheers

guy 27
17th July 2012, 11:57 AM
Going off reviews I'm going the AD08's but only for track use.

benzino
17th July 2012, 12:24 PM
how do you find out shipping cost for tire rack? do you have to email or is it available when you go to check out?

guy 27
17th July 2012, 12:42 PM
Email for quote. It's about 350 for 4 tyres for delivery.

mickos
17th July 2012, 12:57 PM
Yes you have to email them for a quote, roughly $400 for postage. Also import duty must be added on. If its over $1000.
I have just read on another forum that ADO8s can no longer be shipped to australia, i will email them to clarify about Advans.

If so the RE-11 or Ventus Rs-3s will be next options. Would prefer the ADO8s tho!

guy 27
17th July 2012, 01:05 PM
Keep us posted on what they say about the advans.

mickos
17th July 2012, 01:10 PM
Can do, so we all know the advans ado8s are a great tyre.
Anyone used the RE-11 or RS-3s?

lonewolf1983
17th July 2012, 01:19 PM
have heard good things about both from others.

beware that depending on the amount of k's you do a year any of these tyres may wear faster than you expect.

Likely that you wont get Advans, aussie distributors get whingy when they cant overcharge people anymore :)

gman
17th July 2012, 07:31 PM
I have a set of AD08's for road and used them once on the track. I absolutely love them and recommend them. They have worn amazingly well for a performance tyre, good in the wet and do not suffer heat stress like a normal road tyre does on the track. I know people that have driven on the AD08's and the Bridgestone's and they have all preferred the Advans. I haven't driven on the Bridgestones as I generally do not rate Bridgestones tyres.

I have driven on the RS-3's in HKG (on a Porsche GT3) and they were very, very good, but they didn't seem to give as much confidence as the AD08's adn looked like they were wearing quicker than the AD08's. That said they were on very different cars.

All up for cost the RS-3's are hard to beat. For performance IMHO the Advan AD08's win hands down...

mickos
18th July 2012, 10:43 AM
Recieved a reply from hunter, Yep as suspected they cant ship yokohamas out side USA.

Anyone used Nitto NT05s?

gman
18th July 2012, 10:50 AM
I have NT01's and they are very good..Not used the NT05's but reports are they are very good.

mickos
18th July 2012, 11:07 AM
Ozzy tyres has Nitto Invo and NT05s for ok price, ebay St George Tyres has Nittos also.

Reviews seem ok for both.

Any other tyres to think about or look out for?

poita
18th July 2012, 11:12 AM
Not helping but, St George tyres are awesome guys to deal with, bought my Pirelli's from them and thehy couldn't of been anymore helpful.

Big thumbs up to them.

Wraith
18th July 2012, 01:08 PM
Do they have a model in the Conti catalogue to suit ??

If so I'd opt for them :)

I recently had a top of the line Bridgestone RE series tyre installed on one of my cars and they are very good all round, but the previous Contis were far superior...not sure on the exact specs of that tyre series but AFAIK they were in the middle of the range...

The Contis on my Merc fitted as standard OEM equipment are also brilliant...

JohnBu
18th July 2012, 01:46 PM

I recently had a top of the line Bridgestone RE series tyre installed on one of my cars and they are very good all round, but the previous Contis were far superior...not sure on the exact specs of that tyre series but AFAIK they were in the middle of the range...

Top of the line Bridgestone road tyres or track tyres?

gman
18th July 2012, 04:07 PM

IMHO,

1: Conti's for a road only tyre, maybe sure.
2: Conti's for a dual use road/track tyre or serious high performance tyre, probably not...

guy 27
18th July 2012, 04:13 PM
IMHO,

1: Conti's for a road only tyre, maybe sure.
2: Conti's for a dual use road/track tyre or serious high performance tyre, probably not...

completely agree.
watch guys at qr wipe off 50% off their contis in one day out there. for the cost vs wear its just not worth it. let alone the fact they are not meant to be driven on a track. they can be but you will be pushing them well past their limits.

JohnBu
18th July 2012, 04:31 PM
I think Conti's are overrated for the price. Not sure why they are so $$$ in Australia.

I have them on the GTI, I can't wait until they wear out so I can replace them with RE002a's OR last long enough until next year when I sell the GTI.

mickos
18th July 2012, 07:11 PM
Contis are ok they are currently what i am using- reading some good reviews on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Should last well on daily driving also handle track days

lonewolf1983
18th July 2012, 09:38 PM
there are a lot of different compounds/models in the continental range, but none of them are suitable for the track.
As mentioned they'll either wear out very fast, or just have crap traction.

I was going to recommend federal RS-R's but cant get them in the size you want.
AD08's are the best of the bunch if you have the $$'s!

Ice
19th July 2012, 01:14 AM
I think Conti's are overrated for the price. Not sure why they are so $$$ in Australia.

I have them on the GTI, I can't wait until they wear out so I can replace them with RE002a's OR last long enough until next year when I sell the GTI.

Hey john, what kind of conti's do you have ? We drive on Conti sport contact 2. On the same car I've used Michellen and Pirelli, can't remember exactly but they have been far superior to anything else I've driven on bar Yokohamas which come a close second. it could be compound? Car setup or just our different levels of what we consider good and bad I suppose.

JohnBu
19th July 2012, 08:05 AM
Hi Pete, yeah it's the CSC2s

Can't say I'm a big fan of them, they were OEM in the GTI, Mercs etc (but sometimes the factory uses Michelins Pilot Sports instead)

They aren't a bad tyre, but I wouldn't pay a premium for them over the Re001a. Outright grip isn't that high, plus they squeal a lot, not something you want with a high powered FWD.

The compound seems fairly hard, upside- they last a long time, but are very noisy as they get older, something the re001a didn't do.

I won't be using the CSC3 over the re002a.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

mickos
19th July 2012, 09:33 AM
Spoke to a bloke from tirerack last night over their rep web chat-
He was saying that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 300 tread wear would probably last 30% longer than the Bridgestone RE11 yet the RE11 would handle the heat from track days better being a 180 compound.

Saying that its not uncommon to get 15,000kms from soft compound tyres.

I plan on keeping the car suspension the way it is so set up wise the edges may wear quicker.

Hoss
19th July 2012, 09:39 AM
It might be worth having a yarn with Sam at Tempe Tyres. I found him very helpful with his advice, although I haven't bought anything yet.

gman
19th July 2012, 10:25 AM
Spoke to a bloke from tirerack last night over their rep web chat-
He was saying that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 300 tread wear would probably last 30% longer than the Bridgestone RE11 yet the RE11 would handle the heat from track days better being a 180 compound.

Saying that its not uncommon to get 15,000kms from soft compound tyres.

I plan on keeping the car suspension the way it is so set up wise the edges may wear quicker.

Agree totally. The Michelins are also known to wear quickly regardless of the UTQG rating. The AD08's are a 180 vs.
R-S3 130.

So far I still think the AD08 is you best option, as long as you can live with the price.

mickos
19th July 2012, 11:22 AM
Advan neovas demon tweeks sells them for $1229 then shipping of $271.
Rang many tyre shops around Oz they basically sell from $460 - $540 each to much coin.

JohnBu
19th July 2012, 11:41 AM
If you had to pay say $1,500 + GST + duty + fitting, then $460 each fitted isn't bad.

mickos
19th July 2012, 11:45 AM
Exactly duty would be extra so would fitting lol

mickos
19th July 2012, 11:49 AM
Gonna ring 8 more tyre shops today

gman
19th July 2012, 12:37 PM
If not the AD08's then the R-S3 Hankooks would be next on my list...

lonewolf1983
19th July 2012, 01:45 PM
this is why i stuck to 17's
cheap and easy to get good tyres rather than this 18/19" business! :D

mickos
19th July 2012, 02:23 PM
I have thought about getting some Gloss Black Team Dynamics 1.2 and some semi slicks for track duties.

Still got a few months on these contis but after reading lots of reviews road/track i am starting to lean towards Michelin Pilot Supersports, will handle occasional track days and good for daily duties. Should get at least 30,000kms out of them

mickos
31st July 2012, 03:21 PM
Has anyone used Nitto Invos on there car?

gman
1st August 2012, 12:14 AM
Nitto NT-01's and NT555 and they were excellent. A friend has Innvo's on his Evoque and he loves them.

The US guys seem to rate them too.

Hoss
1st August 2012, 09:01 AM
Has anyone used Nitto Invos on there car?

Hally83 on this forum has Nitto Invo on his VXR. He gives them a good rap, but he says they do wear a bit. Hally got the Nittos from Taleb Tyres at Arncliffe. Tempe Tyres might also be worth a look.