PDA

View Full Version : Towing capacity of an 1800cc

rodsfromday
6th July 2012, 12:55 PM
Hey
Its been a while since i have been on. I just wanted to know from my fellow members, can i tow a car trailer with a car of combined mass - 1750kg, using my 1800cc? I know it will be hard going but is it possible? Much appreciated!!
Thanx!!!

adam_92
6th July 2012, 01:00 PM
I towed a car trailer and a r31 skyline around about 150kms with the van. 1.6 sohc.

hazrd
6th July 2012, 01:05 PM
I towed a car trailer and a r31 skyline around about 150kms with the van. 1.6 sohc.

How did it go?

adam_92
6th July 2012, 01:14 PM
It struggled a little bit on some of the hills. I was coming from barossa valley so that is basically what we class as the hills. But it made it home fine.

rodsfromday
6th July 2012, 01:16 PM

Yeah im looking at about 955km!!!

adam_92
6th July 2012, 01:21 PM
Wow. I'm not so sure on that then. Couldn't you hire a diesel Ute from bunnings for a few days? They tow fine and are actually quite cheap. Then you don't need to worry about any damage done to your car.

guy 27
6th July 2012, 01:25 PM
its past the towing limit for the car for 1. not to say you can't do it but it will probably stretch the car a bit.

rodsfromday
6th July 2012, 01:28 PM
Wow. I'm not so sure on that then. Couldn't you hire a diesel Ute from bunnings for a few days? They tow fine and are actually quite cheap. Then you don't need to worry about any damage done to your car.
I might look into that.

its past the towing limit for the car for 1. not to say you can't do it but it will probably stretch the car a bit.
No i forgot its only going to be about 400km as i am going to drop it off in Woongoolba!

poita
6th July 2012, 01:30 PM
Still way to far for the car.

After towing a couple of cars (calibra with an xtrail, barina with a triton) use something that is made for the job.

The xtrail was not built for that, where as the triton (turbo diesel) done it with ease

guy 27
6th July 2012, 01:33 PM
No i forgot its only going to be about 400km as i am going to drop it off in Woongoolba!

you can cause all the damage to the body of the car in the first few km's. iirc the maxed braked towing capacity is about 1200kg.

rodsfromday
6th July 2012, 01:34 PM
Still way to far for the car.

After towing a couple of cars (calibra with an xtrail, barina with a triton) use something that is made for the job.

The xtrail was not built for that, where as the triton (turbo diesel) done it with ease

Yeah that might be the go...

chrissn89
6th July 2012, 04:24 PM
The genuine towing kit is only rated to 1000kg according to GMH EPC. Do not try doing it not safe at all even if you have electric brakes fitted to the trailer/car, the astra will not handle that much weight for that distance and not damage something.

corsaford
8th July 2012, 08:53 AM
I tower a calibra on a trailer behind my 95 v6 triton it almost ended in disaster spun it round a few time. Make sure you get all the weight up the front

chris_r
10th July 2012, 01:43 PM
Just for reference, I believe (in SA at least) that the max legal towing capacity for any unbraked trailer is 750kg. For a trailer with hydraulic overrun/override brakes, the maximum towing mass is equal to the mass of the vehicle towing it, ie if your vehicle weighs 1200kgs, you can tow 1200kgs behind it. If your trailer is fitted with electric service brakes, the total allowed mass of a trailer is up to 1.5 times the vehicle weight. In the case of this, a 1200kg car could pull a load up to 1800kg if the trailer has electric brakes (provided it's got the power to do so).

rodsfromday
20th August 2012, 07:56 PM
Yeaj the Opel would never had pulled that trailer with the car on. I ended getting a ute from work and got my beemer safely back to Qld. Dont think i would do something like that soon again!! Thanx for all the replies!!