PDA

View Full Version : Toyota and bmw colabarotation

metry
2nd July 2012, 05:42 PM
looks like toyota and BMW are collaborating with BMW. maybe we might see the successor to the supra
http://www.caradvice.com.au/179777/toyota-supra-successor-cards-new-bmw-alliance/

poita
2nd July 2012, 10:11 PM
Can't Toyota build a car by themselves anymore?

Toyota + Subaru = 86

Toyota + BMW = Supra

Who do they collaborate with to re-do the Celica and the MR2?

adam_92
3rd July 2012, 12:43 AM
Celica-Mercedes
Mr2-Audi...

Seems to be getting like that with Toyota lately. I suppose the expertees of 2 successful manufacturers can't be such a bad thing??

gmonkey
3rd July 2012, 02:18 AM
in economic times like these it makes sence, same thing has happened for a while (most of the time one company doesnt release the exact same car but) think proton and mitsubishi with the satria or opel and lotus with the speedster or alfa and lancia with a few of their old cars. saves money and is great way of sharing technology or comforts without the cost of design and tech facilities trying to replicate them.

the brz/86 makes sence, who knows rwd lightweight coupes and can mass produce them for the every man, toyota. what company has good technology in engines for performance (name a small 4cyl na engine that has 147kw not at 8000rpm) and popular engines at that, subaru. people seem to love boxer engines.

with this new joint venture with bmw i think its very very smart! who has made the best inline 6cyl twin turbo engine that meets euro emission laws at the moment, bmw. not to mention the luxury styling options probably. oh and makes way for the aristo or celsior or soarer to return as they shared same platform as the supra.

i deff think toyota has a good design department at the moment aswell, not one of their cars now are ugly by any means. even grandpa spec camrys look decent! (some will say the fj is ugly but it had stayed true to its roots as the original fj was ugly to, a 4x4 isnt meant to be pretty)

JohnBu
3rd July 2012, 12:26 PM
I would love a BMW Toyota.

Get BMW to design the car, engine etc etc and Toyota to then go through the engineering to make designed logically and reliably before building it in Japan.

Toyota knows how to make great engines, including straight sixes, we, just don't get them it in Australian....

hazrd
3rd July 2012, 12:32 PM
Toyota's 200kw V6 motor here is actually really good imo. Its just a shame that it was put into a POS like the Aurion

Wraith
3rd July 2012, 12:57 PM
Collaboration of this sort is nothing new and it's becoming more and more common, in this case it can only (you would think) end up with an outstanding end product...

Parts bin sharing between Euro and Japanese brands is on the increase too...there's already a heap of mechanical components from Japanese manufacturers used in Euro cars and vise versa...

rjastra
4th July 2012, 06:46 PM
Toyota's 200kw V6 motor here is actually really good imo. Its just a shame that it was put into a POS like the Aurion

Lotus use the toyota 3.5L v6 with/without a supercharger

JohnBu
4th July 2012, 07:01 PM
Not really a collaboration, lotus can afford to develop their own engine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk