PDA

View Full Version : Astra J in the UK - my observations..

gravy258
29th June 2012, 08:04 AM
just come back from three weeks in the UK and two in Paris. Read the UK auto weekly's and kept my eyes on the road.(i'm a pom)

The Astra J is getting a minor facelift with revised front indicators and tailgate in September and the 2.0 biturbo from the insignia in the GTC. The J's been out two years now.
Didn't like the windscreen wipers mounted on the outer sweeping in and crossing over each other, nor did i find the non LED DRL's around the top of the headlamps eyecatching. Saw the GTC briefly in the showroom, nice. but the missus wouldn't linger. The interior makes the AH look very dated.

The J doesn't have distinctive looks like the AH Astra, too much like every other car.
The Corsa hurt my eyes its so ugly, i prefer the last model sold here.

The only car that turned my head was a Hyundai Veloseter in Paris, it looked pretty good. Nothing to report on in Paris, 2 seater cars, three wheeled scooters and the usual PSA and Renaults (didn't see any sporty versions). Lots of goldwings and tourer bikes too.

ford Focus 1.0 3 cylinder petrol turbo is the talk in the UK. 60% of testdrives led to a sale as compared to the usual 30% according to Ford UK.

Wraith
29th June 2012, 01:29 PM
Hmmm interesting, we'll have to wait to see them for ourselves in the flesh before passing judgement, hopefully it won't be the same reaction for me on the AJ...

I'm not a fan of the new Corsa either, never have been just from all the pics pics, but love the AJ Astra just from all the pics...see what happens :)

Nurb608
29th June 2012, 01:56 PM
After seeing the GTC in the flesh the other week, I quite like it. Yes the exterior isn't as pointy but there are more pluses than minuses

dutchy
29th June 2012, 09:19 PM
The Astra J is getting a minor facelift with revised front indicators and tailgate in September and the 2.0 biturbo from the insignia in the GTC.

WHAT, did you say bi-turbo ?

Nurb608
29th June 2012, 09:53 PM
WHAT, did you say bi-turbo ?

That's a diesel motor

gravy258
30th June 2012, 03:27 PM
July's UK Top Gear mag is having a first drive of the Astra VXR

yeh the twin turbo is a 192bhp 2.0L diesel

Nurb608
30th June 2012, 03:36 PM

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/vauxhall-astra-vxr-first-drive-review-2012-6-11

daves_cally
1st July 2012, 01:32 AM
I like it! Looks quite refined

Hoss
1st July 2012, 09:32 AM
It's certainly a significant change from the outgoing (gone) model. The centre console looks very busy with many buttons and knobs. I hope there's more cabin storage space than the H? Overall I like it. I wonder what its price point will be if it comes to Oz?

gravy258
1st July 2012, 11:40 AM
the review is for the UK test drive not the Opel one, not that we'll be seeing the VXR here.

The GTC is certainly better looking than the scirocco, the VW looks mean from behind and the side but i can't be doing with the generic front end.
My cousin took me round the block in her Astra J, more like a BMW inside. I was well impressed.
The UK is all about emmisions and how much it affects the rego(road tax to them). so the 1.6 diesel i hired was 35 quid a year rego and a Landcruiser would be up at 475 a year.
Petrol was about the same price as here but with a pound symbol in front of it. Doesn't stop em doing 160kmh past you on the motorway.

Wraith
2nd July 2012, 01:24 PM

I couldn't see any article on the oiler, but if the engine's as good as BMW or MB twin turbo oilers then the AJ with the twin turbo 2.0ltr oiler will be a cracker !!!

gravy258
6th July 2012, 05:49 PM
nah the oiler was in one of the Uk weekly mags. Can't remember if it was Auto Express or Autocar.
the blue VXR looks damn good in TG mag.
They still prefer the golf GTI ...

the oiler is here http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/6/20/Vauxhall-Reveal-Astra-GTC-BiTurbo-Diesel-and-New-Look-Hatch-7709426/

ChrisMaz
6th July 2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vwC1gd8xnI&feature=player_embedded